Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

“We’re getting close to calling him Team Canada Tom Wilson”​

If management starts making decisions like this, revoke my Canadian citizenship and take Marchand and Wilson with me please.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

“We’re getting close to calling him Team Canada Tom Wilson”​

If management starts making decisions like this, revoke my Canadian citizenship and take Marchand and Wilson with me please.
There was this same report floating around before 2022 that he was going to make that team too. I get that the management wants to recreate the 2010s team that had physical, north south, forechecking wingers, but the drop off in ability to Tom Wilson or Adam Lowry (who I would assume would play wing) is astonishing.

I’m not saying they take the 12 top scorers on the forward group and call it a day, but for god sakes take someone like Verhaeghe or Lafrenière if you want for hard forechecking wingers. Having to stick to a philosophy that does not apply to the current pool of players will get them destroyed

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
ORRFF Stats Watch (October 24, 2024)

Positives :

* Jordan Kyrou with 2 assists - he's PPG and he was everywhere against the Leafs.
Hockey Canada needs to decide what to do with the 2018 kids.
* Brandon Hagel with his 6th goal - short handed.
* Colton Parayko's playing awesome - as per Gord Miller. :)

* LAF with his 4th goal - given the fact that he gets next to NO PP time, how do we keep him off the team?
* Sam Bennett with his 6th - remember when he was a bust?
* Carter Verhaeghe with his first goal of the year.
* Sam Reinhart with another point - an assist. Dude is on fire.
* Dylan Holloway with his 2nd and 3rd goal. Edmonton will rue the day they let him get away.
* Matt Duchene with his forth goal and an assist - but is he too old?
* Jake Neighbour with his 2nd and 3rd goal of the year - he stole the puck off Nylander to get his 3rd. Nice!
* Seth Jarvis with his 2nd goal - nice to see him finally lighting the lamp.
* Logan Stankoven with his first goal - Calder anyone?
* Cale Makar being Cale Makar with his 3rd goal.
* Brandt Clarke is doing well in L.A..
* Mark Scheifele having a strong year - 2 assists, tonight, and PPG+.
* Cole Perfetti continually puts up the points.
* Jordan Eberle on his way to having a career season at 34.
* Jared McCann with 2 assist.

Goalies :

* Jordan Binnington giving up only 1 goal on 42 shots. Nice!
* Cam Talbot with a solid N.J. win.
* MAF with a strong night against Tampa Bay.
* MacKenzie Blackwood with a meh night.

Negatives :

* Byfield!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bixby Snyder

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
On A Personal Note :

Not many posters know this but I post from jail. It's not easy but I just got some wonderful news. The District Attorney greenlighted my resentencing earlier today. Looks like (my brother and) I may be getting out of prison VERY, VERY SOON!!!

Wish us luck! :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
On A Personal Note :
Not many posters know this but I post from jail. It's not easy but I just got some wonderful news. The District Attorney greenlighted my resentencing earlier today. Looks like (my brother and) I may be getting out of prison VERY, VERY SOON!!!

We call them Crown Prosecutors here in the True, North, Strong and Free!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He seldom gets mentioned but Colton Parayko needs to be considered. He's 6'6" and, as Gord Miller mentioned, he was a brick wall against Toronto.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
ORRFF Stats Watch (October 25, 2024)

Positives :

* Alex Pietrangelo with a 3 point night.
* Drake Batherson with a goal and an assist.

* 27 points in the Ottawa / Vegas game, 16 of them are Canadian.
* Bo Horvat with his 3rd goal - he has dropped off most people's radar for a Best on Best tournament.
* Bedard with his 2nd goal.
* Evan Bouchard with a goal and an assist.
* RNH with his first goal.

Goalies :

* Adin Hill gave up 4 goals / 39 shots in the win.
* Jake Allen gave up 4 goals, including 2 LATE goals, in the N.J. loss to the NYI.
* Stuart Skinner shut out Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
On A Personal Note :

My ^ joke ^ fell flat - 24 hours later, I was still waiting for a laugh.

I was TRYING to be funny. I guess I failed. :)

Last edited:

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
While the goaltending is worrying to some degree I still believe Hill and Binnington, guys who do best in the playoffs and higher pressure situations, could get it done. While it would be great to have an actual solidified elite goaltender like the US or Russia, I think the strength of the roster in general will be able to compensate. MacKinnon, McDavid and Makar are possession monsters who have shown they can and will take over playoff series and games, as well as Bedard who has gamebreaking and clutch potential on the big stage.

I hope Canada doesn't take Lowry, a guy with a career high 35 points, or Wilson. I like Wilson and his style of play and is valuable in the playoffs, but I could also see him taking a shit penalty in a tie game or a penalty that starts a comeback. Verhaeghe, Laf and even longer shots like Hagel/Konecny or Byfield can provide checking/speed and skill.

The margins are thinner on the intl stage, if Wilson loses a team a game in the playoffs it isn't ideal but his value is him being able to wear down opponents throughout a series, as opposed to the olympics which is 6-8 games max and losing 1 game can mean the end of the tournament.

Hockey Canada seems to constantly overthink things though by trying to include grinder players or feel good stories. WJC is clear evidence of this, with guys like Allard and Minten, while Heidt, Cristall, Firkus got snubbed.

Although they do try rotate out more older experienced players to give younger guys a shot which is somewhat understandable considering its a young tourney. There's no excuse for this on the biggest stage of all though.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad