Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafreniere is at 5 points in 4 games. I haven't seen the Rangers games myself other than seeing Laf's nice goal against the Pens but I'd say that's a pretty good start anyway. Considering a year ago people thought he was a bust. I didn't, I saw him as a guy still waiting to hit his stride.
He’s the second best forward on the Rangers offensively, but poor attention to detail and some effort issues defensively. He got replaced last night defending against the empty net by Will Cuylle, who is only 22, but plays a more mature defensive game. The defense is made worse by that Panarin plays on the same line and has big time defensive effort issues. But those two are magic offensively with creating, and Trocheck babysits their tendencies. Will be a top 5 offensive line this season in the league. TBD if top 5 overall because they give up a lot too.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Despite Mark Stone looking like a pylon these past playoffs, he still continues to be productive. I would not hesitate to put him alongside a Brayden Point for a shutdown line. Point is arguably a better center than Eichel and brings more speed then what Stone is accustomed to.

Ideally, would love to see Jarvis or Cozens to step up and fill Stone’s shoes on the RW, but Stone is still such a dog and high IQ player out there. The young guns NEED to step up

I think everyone on this thread would agree that naming Brad Marchand as one of the first 6 is Canada’s first mistake. Watching the last 2 Bruins games, he’s still an effective player but naming someone like a Devon Toews, Josh Morrissey, Shea Theodore, Mitch Marner or Mat Barzal might have been a safer choice.

I also think Canada missed out on someone like a Hagel or Konency to fill Marchand’s shoes. Both have and are putting up similar numbers to Marchand, have similar minutes and fill the same roles as him. Hagel looked GREAT these past World Championships

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Oct 20 / 24 (ORRFF Stats Watch) :

* Mark Scheifele with his 5th goal.

* Josh Morrisey playing well.

I am not seeing room for Scheifele on the team to be honest. He just falls into a numbers game I think. Probably makes any other country's team. Might make it if they want to slide him on RW, which is entirely possible. That I can see. But as a centre he couldn't crack the team. Then again there is some pressure on the RW side too. Reinhart is likely to be there, they could put anyone of Bedard or MacKinnon over there. Stone might fit in as a defensive winger. You never know. Scheifele shoots right so he could be that piece they want in there. Good size too.

Reactions: ORRFForever

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Oct 20 / 24 (ORRFF Stats Watch) :

* Mark Scheifele with his 5th goal.

* Josh Morrisey playing well.
I really like this Canadian player " ticker" you have going here

It's just a shame you never have any goalie performances to announce on here. You would really have to stretch positivity to do that though, something along the lines of.." jarry let's in only 4 goals tonight instead of 6, he's on fire!!"

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I really like this Canadian player " ticker" you have going here

It's just a shame you never have any goalie performances to announce on here. You would really have to stretch positivity to do that though, something along the lines of.." jarry let's in only 4 goals tonight instead of 6, he's on fire!!"
Maybe. Good idea. :)

Reactions: jj cale

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
The number of "locks" up front I think is growing with Bedard and Reinhart. At least for the 4 nations I can't imagine a world where, barring injury, the following forwards are not on the team.

McDavid
Mackinnon
Crosby
Marchand
Point
Hyman
Reinhart
Bedard

That leaves 6 spots open to be battled out by:

Marner
Barzal
Thomas
Suzuki
Stone
Konecny
Horvat
Johnston
Kyrou
Lafreniere
Byfield
Scheifele
Hagel
ROR
Stankoven
Bennett
Verhaeghe

Damn... we are deep up front.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The number of "locks" up front I think is growing with Bedard and Reinhart. At least for the 4 nations I can't imagine a world where, barring injury, the following forwards are not on the team.

McDavid
Mackinnon
Crosby
Marchand
Point
Hyman
Reinhart
Bedard

Marner
Barzal
Thomas
Suzuki
Stone
Konecny
Horvat
Johnston
Kyrou
Lafreniere
Byfield
Scheifele
Hagel
ROR
Stankoven
Bennett
Verhaeghe

(Unfortunately) Marchand (I think) has already been included on Team Canada - early players announced. We can do better - Marchand has gotten OLD.

I'm also concerned about Hyman.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
October 21 / 24 (ORRFF Stats Watch) :

* Marner is playing well - like he always does when the games do NOT matter. 2 assists tonight.
I'm okay with Marner playing for Team Canada as long as he is on the 4th line.

* Max Domi is playing really well - an assist tonight. Unfortunately, he has NO chance of making Team Canada.

* Braydon Point with his 3rd goal of the season. I can't see him being left off Team Canada.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

McDavid
Mackinnon
Crosby
Marchand
Point
Hyman
Reinhart
Bedard

Marner
Barzal
Thomas
Suzuki
Stone
Konecny
Horvat
Johnston
Kyrou
Lafreniere
Byfield
Scheifele
Hagel
ROR
Stankoven
Bennett
Verhaeghe

If Hyman continues playing like this, I think Team Canada excludes him.

Reinhart is pretty much a lock.

Marner is also a lock as much people hate this.

Mark Stone likely makes the team.

Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, Point, Bedard, Marner, Stone, Marchand and Reinhart. That's your nucleus of 9 forwards right there. You have speed, experience, great finishing around the net and board play, generational talent, playmaking, and very high hockey IQ. One thing this core lacks is size and shooters from previous Canadian rosters.
How you want to round out the last 4 spots is up to roster construction desires. Complimentary players like Hyman can be talked about here or perhaps bringing in some of the youth movement.

All in all, in 2024 Canada and the USA are by far the deepest countries when it comes to forwards.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My team from last year...

Hyman-McDavid*-Johnston
LAF-MacKinnon-Thomas*
Reinhart-Crosby*-Point
Verhaeghe-Stamkos*-Marner
Horvat*

It's early but the players in RED are struggling, so let's try again...

McCann/Hagel-McDavid*-Bedard
LAF*-MacKinnon*-Johnston
Reinhart-Crosby*-Point
Bennett-Thomas*-Marner
Marchand

* Faceoffs

If McDavid wants Hyman on his wing, so be it. Otherwise, McCann or Hagel.

There was a time when I was worried Canada's roster would be too old but that won't be an issue.
Most of the players are in their prime - or younger. Only Sid and Marchand are "old".

I'm NOT happy with my 2nd line - too young? I'm also not sure about Robert Thomas centering the 4th line - he's there because of his faceoff prowess. I'd prefer Stamkos but he is ice cold.

The rest look GREAT !!!! The 3rd line is insane.

Marchand is only there because he is on the "initial roster". I'd dump him if given the chance - I'm not sure if it is the weight of the Captaincy in Boston or he has not aged well, but he has fallen off. Do NOT take Marchand to the Olympics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
My team from last year...

Hyman-McDavid*-Johnston
LAF-MacKinnon-Thomas*
Reinhart-Crosby*-Point
Verhaeghe-Stamkos*-Marner
Horvat*

* Take Faceoffs

It's early but the players in RED are struggling.
I wouldn't be too worried about Robert Thomas. He's looked great out there. The points will come.

I'm not as worried about Verhaege as I think he's a finisher that complements an elite center well. Barkov is out right now. If you put Verhaege beside a Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon or Bedard, he'll likely flourish.

Horvat has been "meh" the last 2 seasons. He's fine if you want someone to take face-offs and bring a power forward role, but I would take Barzal if I was taking someone from the Islanders. Horvat cannot drive a line by himself coming from a Canucks line.

Stamkos and Hyman are CONCERNING. At this stage, I don't think the both of them bring a lot of skill to Canada and would be there for their roles. Horrible starts for the both of them. I hope they can turn it around.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
(Unfortunately) Marchand (I think) has already been included on Team Canada - early players announced. We can do better - Marchand has gotten OLD.

I'm also concerned about Hyman.
Yeah I only included Marchand on my list because he's locked in via the pre-selection.

I said at the time, it was such a stupid mistake to lock ourselves into him so far in advance. If he's worthy of the team when the time comes, great, take him. There's a chance however that when the time comes to select the full team he's not even viewed as a top 25 Canadian forward.

But whatever, he's versatile, a good leader, and in a short tournament with elite linemates there's little risk of him or anyone else being a liability.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah I only included Marchand on my list because he's locked in via the pre-selection.

I said at the time, it was such a stupid mistake to lock ourselves into him so far in advance. If he's worthy of the team when the time comes, great, take him. There's a chance however that when the time comes to select the full team he's not even viewed as a top 25 Canadian forward.

But whatever, he's versatile, a good leader, and in a short tournament with elite linemates there's little risk of him or anyone else being a liability.
Marchand can be the 13th forward and, if the young guys need rest / guidance /leadership, he can jump in. He has dropped off though. Shame. Father time always wins.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think the case was made pretty well by Jack Slater on why Hyman was a somewhat questionable pick despite the great season he had last year riding shotgun with McD. It's not that he isn't a solid hockey player, he just doesn't have elite level ability and it's an elite level tournament. There are more talented options then him.

Very much a Chris Kunitz vibe with him ( with my regards for Kunitz for salting away gold for us in 2014 against the swedes) he was always going to have to pretty much duplicate his play and production from last year to make this team..........and it's not happening.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think the case was made pretty well by Jack Slater on why Hyman was a somewhat questionable pick despite the great season he had last year riding shotgun with McD. It's not that he isn't a solid hockey player, he just doesn't have elite level ability and it's an elite level tournament. There are more talented options then him.

Very much a Chris Kunitz vibe with him ( with my regards for Kunitz for salting away gold for us in 2014 against the swedes) he was always going to have to pretty much duplicate his play and production from last year to make this team..........and it's not happening.
If McDavid wants him, Hyman will be invited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad