Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Leafs still have bad goaltending.

I also love how many leaf fans were calling for Campbell to win a Vezina in the first half of last season
And the second half? He legit played like a vezina goalie for almost half a season.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I don't put them in the top "contender" status with COL and a few others, but getting there if they can still get another top 4 damn sometime and Campbell gives them above average goaltending.

And the second half? He legit played like a vezina goalie for almost half a season.
I will take a guy who plays like a Vezina for a few months then average.

Still makes for a great year and anything can happen in the playoffs. Being able to actually play like a vezina goalie is not a bad thing...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't put them in the top "contender" status with COL and a few others, but getting there if they can still get another top 4 damn sometime and Campbell gives them above average goaltending.

I will take a guy who plays like a Vezina for a few months then average.

Still makes for a great year and anything can happen in the playoffs. Being able to actually play like a vezina goalie is not a bad thing...
Really there are only 2 truly top contenders in Colorado and Tampa. Someone saying Oilers could be top 5 isn't really saying much. Winning the division would be enough to be in that running.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Really there are only 2 truly top contenders in Colorado and Tampa. Someone saying Oilers could be top 5 isn't really saying much. Winning the division would be enough to be in that running.
Yup, I only see those 2 as the true contenders. I don't see any other team that is some big contender, Edmonton included.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Torontos D is significantly stronger than Edmontons, like not close. They were a top 5 D almost the entire season last year. More depth as well, it's not a 2 man show. Our goaltending couldn't be worse if Murray tried to score on our own net. Campbell was really bad for us after January, we had the worst svp in the entire league since January. He was mediocre in the playoffs, not great but not horrible either.

I don't wanna derail and turn this into a Toronto thread so I'll leave it at that. Dude is really this salty because I said Edmonton is a top 6-10 team in the league and not top 5, chill out lol. You have Nurse and that's it, the rest of the blue line is god awful. I mean if you think they're a top 5 team in the league cool, I just don't and I highlighted the reasons why. Blue line issues, no scoring depth, inconsistent goaltending.
I don't really care about how you rank the Oilers, I just think it's hilarious how you think Toronto is top 5 after you criticize the Oilers for having weak D and terrible goaltending which is literally what Toronto has right now lmao. very delusional

also, why would I be salty? it's not like the oilers have been dumped in the 1st round for 6ix straight seasons with the same core and haven't won a playoff around in over 2 decades

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I don't really care about how you rank the Oilers, I just think it's hilarious how you think Toronto is top 5 after you criticize the Oilers for having weak D and terrible goaltending which is literally what Toronto has right now lmao. very delusional

also, why would I be salty? it's not like the oilers have been dumped in the 1st round for 6ix straight seasons with the same core and haven't won a playoff around in over 2 decades

Toronto - 252 GA
Edmonton 251 GA

And Toronto had Vezina tending for the first 2/3 months

Dat Toronto D is sure like MTL dynasty level compared to Edmontons lol. They actually let in one more goal than Edmonton last year. Wowzersss

Even with some "bad goaltending", that EDM also got, if your D is THAT much better, it should have allowed much less goals than Edmontons "crappy" D

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Toronto - 252 GA
Edmonton 251 GA

And Toronto had Vezina tending for the first 2/3 months

Dat Toronto D is sure like MTL dynasty level compared to Edmontons lol. They actually let in one more goal than Edmonton last year. Wowzersss

Even with some "bad goaltending", that EDM also got, if your D is THAT much better, it should have allowed much less goals than Edmontons "crappy" D
Rielly <--> Nurse
Brodie <---> Ceci
Muzzin <---> Bouchard
Holl <---> Kulak
Giordano <---> Barrie
Liljegren <---> Broberg
Sandin <---> Murray

idk if I'm missing something but how is Toronto's D 'significantly' better, what is that other guy seeing lol

the Oilers are a younger group and have nice upside with Bouchard and Broberg. Leafs have a broken Muzzin and a geriatric Gio

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
No. Anyone thinking as much is delusional.
They are at the top in the next 6-10 tier to me. Class of the Pacific. Easy division win. They will also upgrade by the deadline. Gunna be DEADLY

Rielly <--> Nurse
Brodie <---> Ceci
Muzzin <---> Bouchard
Holl <---> Kulak
Giordano <---> Barrie
Liljegren <---> Broberg
Sandin <---> Murray

idk if I'm missing something but how is Toronto's D 'significantly' better, what is that other guy seeing lol

the Oilers are a younger group and have nice upside with Bouchard and Broberg. Leafs have a broken Muzzin and a geriatric Gio
Just go with it. I GUARANTEE they will let in more goals than Edmonton again this season. Murray just looks atrocious half of the time. Same with Samsanov last year

Reactions: La Bamba

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Rielly <--> Nurse
Brodie <---> Ceci
Muzzin <---> Bouchard
Holl <---> Kulak
Giordano <---> Barrie
Liljegren <---> Broberg
Sandin <---> Murray

outside of Reilly torontos blue line is nothing special. And if not for injury to nurse the oilers had 3 Defencemen score 40+ points last season, I like our odds of out scoring any team in the league other than Colorado/Tampa. I think Bouchard takes another step too next year

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Shots allowed: Edm - 2050 Tor - 1993
Scoring chances allowed: Edm - 1854 Tor - 1771
High danger scoring chances allowed: Edm - 729 Tor - 701
xG allowed: Edm - 166 Tor - 155
5v5 defense (@HockeyViz): Edm - 0% Tor - -7%

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I have gathered that everyone who does not cheer for the Oilers strongly dislikes them.

Other key takeaways-

-a team who with their current core has never won more than 3 games in a 7 game series- is far and away better than a team who just visited the conference finals

- Calgary is a far superior team to Edmonton, mostly “because”

- Edmonton wouldn’t be a contender next season even if they won the cup. We’d hear how it was all luck and yadda yadda yadda.
Oilers have won 3 series in 16 years. 2 last year and could have easily lost in the first round again if McDavid doesn’t go crazy. Let’s not pretend oilers have much to brag about either. Could have easily lost to LA while Markstrom put on a clinic in horrible goaltending in round 2. They are pretenders at best.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers have won 3 series in 16 years. 2 last year and could have easily lost in the first round again if McDavid doesn’t go crazy. Let’s not pretend oilers have much to brag about either. Could have easily lost to LA while Markstrom put on a clinic in horrible goaltending in round 2. They are pretenders at best.

Gold coming from a Leafs fan

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
i think he is talking about the Leafs generational D that allowed more goals in their net than Edmonton did last year LOL
Maybe if you watched any Leaf games at all you would have seen Campbell giving up goals the a GTHL goalie would have stopped. I month of Vezina caliber goaltending doesn't make up for 4 months of being the worst goalie in the league

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Could Could Could

Easy there guy. The Oilers advanced because their top players sacked up and started dominating the other team lol. You know, star players are supposed to do that. They clutch up, lead, and take over big games.

Instead of choking in a game 6 winning game, their stars won game 6 against LA and then dominated game 7. Then they plastered their provincial rivals while one of their stars broke Gretzky's assists record in a series.

Then they lost a bunch of one goal games to a deeper and more ready team (Colorado). No shame in that. If it happened again this year, then I would be very concerned.

Maybe if you watched any Leaf games at all you would have seen Campbell giving up goals the a GTHL goalie would have stopped. I month of Vezina caliber goaltending doesn't make up for 4 months of being the worst goalie in the league
Oh yeah, I forgot edmonton had Hasek and Shesterkin in net

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Leafs still have bad goaltending.

I also love how many leaf fans were calling for Campbell to win a Vezina in the first half of last season
Hey... he was definitely in the running. At the end of November he had a .946 Sv%
Its not Leafs fans fault that his game dropped off a cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad