Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeblers

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Draisaitls production was around 50% secondary assist to….. McDavid. That a huge luxury that Matthews doesn’t have
Draisaitl potted 55 goals in the season, 2nd to Matthews. He was slew footed in game 6 vs the Kings and was playing on one leg for the rest of the playoffs.

He couldn't get much weight behind his shot and from where he scores goals, that quick one time shot from down low was no longer possible. It is most likely why he was shifted with McDavid for the rest of the playoffs instead of his own line.

Reactions: Duke74

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
False. That was Zadorov.

Kylington apparently had a sore shoulder.

Kylington isn't that young either. He's 25. Just because it took him forever to become an NHLer doesn't mean he automatically has a bunch of upside. If he improves at the same rate he has been, he's likely close to his peak.
Yeah I just looked that up I knew Kylington was injured I just mixed up his injury with Zad's.
Kylington only has 168 reg season games experience and this was his first playoff experience. He certainly does have room to grow and improve as a dman. I wouldn't trade Kylington for half of your current D corp.... not Ceci, not Broberg, not Barrie, not Koekkoek, not Ryan.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I just looked that up I knew Kylington was injured I just mixed up his injury with Zad's.
Kylington only has 168 reg season games experience and this was his first playoff experience. He certainly does have room to grow and improve as a dman. I wouldn't trade Kylington for half of your current D corp.... not Ceci, not Broberg, not Barrie, not Koekkoek, not Ryan.
Kylington owes his successful season to Tanev

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
These two goals were absolutely massive for both series' (nice defence on RNH by Kylington there on the 2nd goal btw). Dude has been a plus player in both regular seasons and playoffs for the Oilers, also, but lol it's law and decree that if anyone doesn't play lights out in Toronto they're not good. Gimme a break.

Still better than whatever Evan Bouchard is doing here

If 2/3rds of your right side are liabilities at the defense part of defense, and the other is Cody Ceci, it's hard to see Campbell having great numbers for the Oilers.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The Oilers can inch closer and closer to those Pens teams, especially the version that won a Cup without Letang in, they're not built all that differently especially if the Oilers upgrade again during the season, which they should. Haven't spent a single 1st round pick in the McDavid era ... time for that to change.
Yea I definitely think it's time to go for it. A piece or two at the deadline and the oilers could have a legit shot.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Barrie's defensive play did improve somewhat under Woodcroft but honestly if he couldn't score the amount of points that he normally does he'd have a tough time making the roster on most NHL teams. He's really not that good of a defenseman.

His defensive play and overall play was noticeably better under Woodcroft.

Manson who coaches the D for the Oilers deserves credit as well, he did a really good job in Bakersfield the last few years developing D men and adding physicality to the games of pretty much any D he coaches. Lots of guys under his tutelage have played NHL games.

I honestly thought Kulak-Barrie were a very consistent pairing in the playoffs, Barrie had some huge moments and was fairly reliable defensively. He was noticeably more willing to throw hits and mix it up.

Barrie isn’t perfect but he’s a good 4/5 D man on the vast majority of NHL teams. He came up big at key points during the Oilers playoff run this year. He is what he is, dynamic PP and offensive D man. He’s a good puck mover, not overly fast but decent agility. Not great defensively, but to his credit he did improve to my eyes quite a bit when Woodcroft and Manson came in.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

If 2/3rds of your right side are liabilities at the defense part of defense, and the other is Cody Ceci, it's hard to see Campbell having great numbers for the Oilers.

I got clips for days of Anderson playing like a monkey in the playoffs. :laugh:

Bouchard had an outstanding rookie season and is only getting better. He's coming along and that must scare Flames fans.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I got clips for days of Anderson playing like a monkey in the playoffs. :laugh:

Bouchard had an outstanding rookie season and is only getting better. He's coming along and that must scare Flames fans.

Bouchard gets this goal in game 2 to tie it up and we never looked back gentlemen sweeping the Flames.

Bouchard is going to pile up the goals and assists against the Flames for years to come.

Total thrashing, Flames fans talking shit with their little Leafs minions is adorable. I bet the Sens win a series before that soft ass Leafs team does.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Get used to seeing a lot of headlines like this Oilers fans. Difference was he was making 1.5 AAV here not 5x5. When things are good he is elite but he can get inside his own head when things go bad and it takes considerable effort to get him out of that space. Oilers better make sure they have a 1B they trust to start a lot of games for them. At least 30

He's a very good tandem goalie. One of the best. But that is what he is. When he is expected to be the guy he can't do it.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If you want to learn something about evaluating goaltenders, bookmark this post and compare it to next seasons results and watch how significantly these rankings and stats change.

Goaltending stats are heavily team-based. And evaluating them individually is far more intricate than simple stat watching. Seeing Grubauer and Nedelkovic at the bottom of that list should tell you that much, shouldn't it?
Shouldn’t they tell you
I would say they are better now than before. Not because Campbell is much better than Smith but his chances of staying healthy is much better, which makes them have a better goalie in more games.

They are better....
j
Campbell may have his issues but imo of course it is better than Smith/Koskinen. I also love that we have Skinner to take the lesser workload and possibly evolve and make this tandem truly great and not a bandaid solution we've been going with since Roloson, or perhaps that year of Talbot. So yes, this new tandem still has to prove itself but this is the best move in net the Oilers have done in years. I'd compare it to the Markstrom addition by the Flames. That move also was met with a lot of bashing. Such is life for a goalie who isn't Shesterkin.

The real measure of contender for the purpose of this thread is regular season performance. Smith was good for us, and in that way it is perhaps a bit of a lateral move, but the issue with Smith is that he wasn't there. It was a yearly tradition that Smith would go down with injury and then Koskinen sewered. Even if Campbell is worse than Smith at the top of his game, just having stability will go a long way to stopping the wild swings in the standings that we've seen in the past couple years. I do see the Oilers being near the top of the standings this year for this reason alone. Well, that and that I do think Woodcroft had a great and lasting effect so a full year of him will be even better, even if his win percentage goes down a bit.
mr positive indeed.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011

You using this clip to justify Bouchard as a "liability" is akin to watching someone score a nice goal and immediately awarding him the Hart trophy.

I'm sure I can find clips of every player in the league making a mistake. Doesn't make them bad players or liabilities lol

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Barrie's defensive play did improve somewhat under Woodcroft but honestly if he couldn't score the amount of points that he normally does he'd have a tough time making the roster on most NHL teams. He's really not that good of a defenseman.
Odd thing to say. If the offensive defenseman didn't create offense, NHL teams wouldn't value him.

Barrie's game hasn't changed much since he was in Colorado. The massive difference between them and us is we get to lean on him less.

Shouldn’t they tell you

j

mr positive indeed.
Good talk. :rolleyes:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Unless they fix the 5-man defense to league top level, there should not be much change in the goals against.

Last season Campbell had worse high danger save stats (money puck) than Koskinen/Smith, which makes me think he might not be a huge upgrade.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Odd thing to say. If the offensive defenseman didn't create offense, NHL teams wouldn't value him.

Barrie's game hasn't changed much since he was in Colorado. The massive difference between them and us is we get to lean on him less.

Good talk. :rolleyes:
Haha. Started to respond to something and stopped writing. I’ll let you use your imagination what it was.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Holey moly, you Leafs fans are just filled with excuses to fit your narrative eh ?

I'm just saying that your fans judgement has been flawed in the past so I take everything that you guys say with a grain of salt.

Guess that would make sense. If I was a leafs fan.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Damn. Look at what happens when you put a decent top 6 forward next to the best player of this generation.

That’s exactly like the Campbell situation. But instead of playing front of a generational defence, he’s behind a middling group of dman. So basically an apples to apples comparison. Well played.
A generational defense? What on Earth are you talking about?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Haha. Started to respond to something and stopped writing. I’ll let you use your imagination what it was.
No, I'm good. I'll use whatever attention I give to this board to people who actually engage in coherent conversation. Not surprising the guy who posts somebody else's work does absolutely nothing to support their own argument.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You using this clip to justify Bouchard as a "liability" is akin to watching someone score a nice goal and immediately awarding him the Hart trophy.

I'm sure I can find clips of every player in the league making a mistake. Doesn't make them bad players or liabilities lol

That's just one example of him being a liability on the defensive side. One among many.

Here's another

And many more from before he was in the NHL

I don't even think he's a bad player. Has a great first pass and a great shot from the blueline. His defense however is poor, much like Barrie.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Get used to seeing a lot of headlines like this Oilers fans. Difference was he was making 1.5 AAV here not 5x5. When things are good he is elite but he can get inside his own head when things go bad and it takes considerable effort to get him out of that space. Oilers better make sure they have a 1B they trust to start a lot of games for them. At least 30

He's a very good tandem goalie. One of the best. But that is what he is. When he is expected to be the guy he can't do it.

Good thing he got out of that hotbed that can't get out of the first round. He gets to play in market that'll spot him two or three goals on many nights and he gets to play with his buddy Zach.

Also not considered in this thread are Stuart Skinner who has had a solid trajectory and Mike Smith who is still technically under NHL contract for another year and is probably ready to go in an emergency.

This thread is asking the wrong question.Their goaltending is one of the last things that should prevent them from being a top team considering they'll likely be the league's most potent team offensively.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Good thing he got out of that hotbed that can't get out of the first round. He gets to play in market that'll spot him two or three goals on many nights and he gets to play with his buddy Zach.

Also not considered in this thread are Stuart Skinner who has had a solid trajectory and Mike Smith who is still technically under NHL contract for another year and is probably ready to go in an emergency.

This thread is asking the wrong question.Their goaltending is one of the last things that should prevent them from being a top team considering they'll likely be the league's most potent team offensively.

They are a true run and gun team. Expecting a lot of 5-4 games

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No, I'm good. I'll use whatever attention I give to this board to people who actually engage in coherent conversation. Not surprising the guy who posts somebody else's work does absolutely nothing to support their own argument.
Jesus. What did I say in your imagination that made you so salty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad