Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
This thread is just sour grapes from leafs fans who can’t handle ex players are actually decent on other teams.
Lol. Truth hurts big guy.

Just pointing out Toronto fans have spent a lot of energy talking about Edmonton goaltending, when they should be more concerned with their own.
That. Or the leafs already had dumpster fire goaltending last year and are letting you know it’s not a clear upgrade like you gals are trying to making it out to be. One of the two. You’re probably right though haha.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So Campbell replaces Koskinen to be the new Oilers #1 goaltender which implies that Koskinen was the Oilers #1 goalie. Thats somewhat confusing. I can probably find hundreds of posts where Oilers fans state that Smith was the Oilers #1 goalie.

Which is it? Is Campbell replacing Smith or Koskinen... and who is Skinner replacing?
In season smith was barely around. Koskinen started 45 games. In the playoffs that’s a completely different conversation. But yeah last year just look at the games played. Not complicated.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Oilers have won 3 series in 16 years. 2 last year and could have easily lost in the first round again if McDavid doesn’t go crazy. Let’s not pretend oilers have much to brag about either. Could have easily lost to LA while Markstrom put on a clinic in horrible goaltending in round 2. They are pretenders at best.
Anyone could lose at any time. Guess what? They didn’t. The Leafs almost took out Tampa in round 1. You have to be lucky to be good and good to be lucky.

Don’t pretend any team wins series or cups without their best players being their best

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
You guys are literally describing Campbells January to March and not realizing it, yet calling it better lol.Pay attention I just said the leafs are my secondary team I watch literally 50 to 60 games of them I saw all of Campbell’s blunders they were BAD, But objectively not AS bad a Smiths
You guys are literally describing Campbells January to March and not realizing it, yet calling it better lol.
I know exactly what I’m describing/witnessing. like I said the leafs are the only other team I have any affinity for, I watched 60+ Leafs games this year and 80+ Oilers games,(as well as every single playoff game for both teams). Campbell is a better goalie than Smith, Lots of goalies around the league have similar stats and hockey fans Don’t rank them near each other because there’s way more nuance The position of goalie than raw numbers(ei. John Gibson is considered an above average goalie with objectively below average stats). I admit Campbell so far in his career has not shown the ability to be a clutch goalie, But all you’d have to do is watch both teams play all season long to determine that Smith/koskinen was The undisputed worst tandem in the league and arguably THE TWO worst goalies(I truly believe Skinner was better than both of them last year just never got a legit chance to run with it)

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I know exactly what I’m describing/witnessing. like I said the leafs are the only other team I have any affinity for, I watched 60+ Leafs games this year and 80+ Oilers games,(as well as every single playoff game for both teams). Campbell is a better goalie than Smith, Lots of goalies around the league have similar stats and hockey fans Don’t rank them near each other because there’s way more nuance The position of goalie than raw numbers(ei. John Gibson is considered an above average goalie with objectively below average stats). I admit Campbell so far in his career has not shown the ability to be a clutch goalie, But all you’d have to do is watch both teams play all season long to determine that Smith/koskinen was The undisputed worst tandem in the league and arguably THE TWO worst goalies(I truly believe Skinner was better than both of them last year just never got a legit chance to run with it)
I would have just chucked Skinner into the playoffs.

Just post a video of every goal Mike Smith and Kosko let in these playoffs. Watch for yourselves. The Center Ice goal took the cake though lol.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In season smith was barely around. Koskinen started 45 games. In the playoffs that’s a completely different conversation. But yeah last year just look at the games played. Not complicated.
Just because a goalie plays more games because the other goalie is injured, doesn't make him the team's #1 goalie. I would say the number of playoff games that each goalie plays in the playoffs, when both are healthy, is a great indication of who the #1 goalie is. As you say... not complicated.
So I guess you're insisting that Koskinen was the Oilers #1 goalie (despite hundreds of posts to the contrary by other Oiler fans) and Skinner is replacing Smith as the backup. Sure .... LOL

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Doubt Campbell is all that much of an upgrade over what they already had. It is likely just shuffling the deck chairs.
Unless you watched all 82 Oiler games and all of the goals our goalies let in, your doubt is wrong. As I said over and over, the Oilers were next to the Avs in games won with sub 900 goaltending.

Maybe Campbell implodes? I do not see him being worse than the tandem we have been putting out there. I wanted Jeff Skinner in over the two we had.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Jack Campbell is a horrible goalie.
He's not horrible. He's weak emotionally/mentally which makes him inconsistent and no stranger to injury. Oilers made a commitment to him that i never would have but i'll wish him the best of luck because he's a wonderful human being.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lol. Truth hurts big guy.

That. Or the leafs already had dumpster fire goaltending last year and are letting you know it’s not a clear upgrade like you gals are trying to making it out to be. One of the two. You’re probably right though haha.

By end of March Oilers fans will be pretending they hated the contract the entire time lol. Oilers are aiming to win games 7-5 anyways so maybe they don't care about his stats that much

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Well we get the beauty of finding out. I don’t think he’s bad. But it’ll likely be more of similar goaltending. Pretty improbable he’s the one who pulls Edmonton into the top 5 contenders.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Definitely not top 5. There’s a better chance they are out of the top 5 in the west than they are top 5 in the entire nhl.

Colorado, tampa bay, Carolina, Florida, Toronto, Calgary are the 6 teams I don’t think Edmonton surpasses barring injuries.

I’d add Boston and Vegas to the list but due to the injuries I could see Edmonton passing them.

In the west alone, after Colorado and Calgary, I can easily see a combo of St. Louis, Vegas, LA, Vancouver beating the oilers in the standings before I could picture the oilers beating 2 of the overall top 6 I mentioned

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
By end of March Oilers fans will be pretending they hated the contract the entire time lol. Oilers are aiming to win games 7-5 anyways so maybe they don't care about his stats that much
I don't get this parrot talk. The Oilers were a good defensive and ES team after Woody took over. He improved them in almost every metric. Don't know where this talk comes from TBH. The Oilers were also a top 5 team after he took over.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't get this parrot talk. The Oilers were a good defensive and ES team after Woody took over. He improved them in almost every metric. Don't know where this talk comes from TBH. The Oilers were also a top 5 team after he took over.

You have Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie in your too 4 and think that is good. Nurse is a Phaneuf level #1 dman and I know that is not enough. You will need young dmen to fill big gaps and they will make a ton of mistakes.

The talk is because you have a rookie goalie and a guy with 1 season as a starter behind an objectively awful D core. The defense didn't improve, your goaltending got hot. Your stars were scoring at historic rates in the playoffs.

A regression is assured

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You have Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie in your too 4 and think that is good. Nurse is a Phaneuf level #1 dman and I know that is not enough. You will need young dmen to fill big gaps and they will make a ton of mistakes.

The talk is because you have a rookie goalie and a guy with 1 season as a starter behind an objectively awful D core. The defense didn't improve, your goaltending got hot. Your stars were scoring at historic rates in the playoffs.

A regression is assured
What did Phaneuf do to deserve such hate

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What did Phaneuf do to deserve such hate

Captained one of the most embarrassing eras of my teams history. It's not his fault, but a large part of the issue was he was the guy and simply wasn't good enough.

Oilers will be in cap hell in as soon as 2 seasons with all the aging guys on that team who play styles that don't age well. This is it for them and Nurse is the best they have on defense and 2nd best is Ceci. How delusional do you need to be to think that is a contenders defense?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Captained one of the most embarrassing eras of my teams history. It's not his fault, but a large part of the issue was he was the guy and simply wasn't good enough.

Oilers will be in cap hell in as soon as 2 seasons with all the aging guys on that team who play styles that don't age well. This is it for them and Nurse is the best they have on defense and 2nd best is Ceci. How delusional do you need to be to think that is a contenders defense?

Didn't they just get to the final four with that defense?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Definitely not top 5. There’s a better chance they are out of the top 5 in the west than they are top 5 in the entire nhl.

Colorado, tampa bay, Carolina, Florida, Toronto, Calgary are the 6 teams I don’t think Edmonton surpasses barring injuries.

I’d add Boston and Vegas to the list but due to the injuries I could see Edmonton passing them.

In the west alone, after Colorado and Calgary, I can easily see a combo of St. Louis, Vegas, LA, Vancouver beating the oilers in the standings before I could picture the oilers beating 2 of the overall top 6 I mentioned
Each one of those teams got weaker this summer in terms of depth. Some pretty significantly. Edmonton added.

In the West the only teams who really improved significantly this summer were LA and Nashville. And both still have pretty significant weaknesses in their roster. Nashville's top end and LA's defensive depth.

Last edited:

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
According to this websites users no, but we are #6.

I guess that is worth 14 pages of mudslinging.

Each of those teams other than Carolina got weaker this summer in terms of depth. Some pretty significantly. Edmonton added.
It is interesting how Calgary went from being a top contender before the playoffs last year to then having a brief window were they were not (coinciding with the Oilers beating them in 5). And now back to being considered a top contender by many. Very interesting.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Didn't they just get to the final four with that defense?

Not quite. They lost Keith and he is being replaced by Broberg. On top of that, they had their stars scoring at literally historic paces and they STILL barely squeaked by a rebuilding LA kings. They also had the easiest path they could have asked for. Let's see this season what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad