Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
No, not even a top 10 contender. No team with a blueline like that has ever won a cup. They are built around 1 dimensional forwards. They have 2 top 6 forwards that play both ways. The rest are cherrypickers. Colorado is the rabbit in the West. Flames and Blues are the hound. Kings will be good soon, maybe even this year. Oilers are irrelevant.

Flames fan knows all about being irrelevant.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Former leafs now on the Oilers:

Campbell
Hyman
Barrie
Ceci

Campbell had one good month. November, which was very good. Other than that he was mediocre to downright bad last year. I think he can figure it out, but I wouldn’t be so confident he’s an upgrade on what Mike Smith gave the Oilers last year.

Both Smith and Campbell are high end backups. Smith has a lot of miles on him though and Campbell is a lot younger but injury prone.

Reactions: Sypher04

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Why is Toronto in your top 5 then? Their D is worse and their goaltending is significantly worse. Both their goalies combined SV% in the last 2 years is less than .899. Also 6ix straight 1st round exits with that core

joke list lmao
Leafs defense is the same as last year, but with Giordano over Holl.

Their goaltending was performing at .890 from December until the end of the year, so .899 is an improvement.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The Oilers are not the same team as the Oilers past where it's just McDavid and Draisaitl anymore though.

The additions of Kane and Hyman upfront in particular have bolstered the offensive fire power, still have RNH too, their top six can flat out knock a lot of teams straight up on their ass.

Even Colorado was having problems containing their forward fire power in the playoffs, they shut them down (master class) in game 2, but the other 3/4 games the Oilers were scoring 4+ goals on average. If Colorado is having issues, other teams will be having nightmares.

Not so easy to slow McDavid and Draisaitl when they actually have some winger depth not junk like Chiarelli left like Lucic. Evander Kane is gonna bury those odd man rushes, so is Hyman.

People crap on Barrie too, but he scored a massive goal in round 1 for the Oilers (game 6 winning goal to tie the series at 3-3 and set up the Oilers series win) and he set up another massive goal in the Calgary series (game 4's game winner from RNH just a few minutes after Mike Smith had let in a back breaking goal from the other end of the ice).

Leafs fans need to get over themselves with the whole "this guy didn't play well for us! It means they're the worst player ever!!!". It's such petty bullshit, just because a player doesn't have a dream season in Toronto does not make them worthless. You guys did the same shit with Anderson supposedly being washed up/finished/useless too. Get out of your tunnel vision.
Remind us again what the Oiler scoring numbers were in the playoffs.

It was McDavid, Draisaitl, then a gulf, then Hyman??, and Kane.

Connor and Leon had double the points of anyone else.
Kane scored a goal a game, that's not happening again.

Draisaitl was a total disaster for 2 games against LA, and had to be moved with McDavid.

Hyman is a fantastic player, there is no question there.

Kane.....well, if you guys are going to pin your hopes on this guy, I guess. I wouldn't.
He has worn out his welcome everywhere he's been.

It's still very much a 2 horse team.

As for Barrie.
The whole league knows he can attack, but since he plays defense, the question is whether he can, you know, defend.

He can't.

Nurse, Barrie, Ceci, Keith. Those 4 played what, 80% of the minutes in the playoffs?

Did the Oilers defense look anything like a stable part of the game?
No, they needed McDavid to utterly dominate, and Draisaitl to produce far above his physical ability (he was hurt and played like he was hurt, and produced like he was gulfing down Senso Beans *or whatever they're called).

Didn't hurt that they played a team missing their best defender and going through their rebuild in LA, and then a team that just completely imploded in Calgary.

Ask Hurricane fans how much they liked Freddie this year. After a stellar season, much like his seasons in Toronto, he decided he wasn't playing in the playoffs, much like his seasons in Toronto.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Yes, between him and Mrazek we had the worst svp in the entire league despite being a top 5-10 team that entire time.
Leafs were a top 5-10 team during that stretch because Matthews scored nearly a goal a game during that stretch.

He won the Hart not because of the 60, or the 50 in 50, but because he scored those 50 in 50 when the team goaltending fell into an abyss and he single-handedly negated the advantage other teams had to start those games.

Campbell is a good goalie for the most part.
He is an awesome person and you'll be hard pressed to find people who didn't like the guy or root for his success.

However, his entire game goes to he'll when things start to go wrong. And he lacks the mental strength to get it back on the rails.

With the defense in front of him these next 5 years, I do t see how he will have any confidence at all.

Jack would have dominated with a Jacques Lemaire system in front of him, which the Oilers' system is the exact opposite of.

Reactions: Atomos2

The90

Feb 27, 2017
In October, he had a .918.

In December, he had a .909.

In January, he went 5-1-1.

In April, he went 7-0-2 with a .915.
Sweet analysis. Now to push my finger through your wet paper bag of an argument.

December: .909 is below average for a starter to begin with.

January, funny how you don’t have his save percentage recorded. Wonder if it’s because it’s trash and the leafs won in spite of him? (It is why you omitted it)

February- no stats. Huh? Wonder why

March- also no stats. Starting not to wonder why.

April. Played pretty well.

Playoffs- .897

Basically he had 2 good months. A decent month and 3 months of bad play. Pretending he’s some sort of strength is completely inaccurate.

That speaks to just how good of a team the Leafs were last year. You switch to wins because his stats are bad but they keep winning. This is why Leaf fans feel ok with their goalies, we already won lots of games with AHL goaltending. Where the funny part is is the Oilers gave him 5x5 and now people are trying to pretend he is something he is not.
I like how there’s no mention of February, March or his .897 in the playoffs whatsoever lol.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Hasn't slowed Tampa Bay down...

Also, the Oilers window will not open. They are not a cup contender. That's the entire point of this thread. Nothing to do with Colorado. Edmonton is a two man team. They are not a contender.
Tampa was dominated at even strength by Toronto.

Kucherov had all of 3 even strength points in the 7 game series.

For some f***ing reason, Toronto was issued double their penalty minutes per game when you compare regular season to the playoffs.

Tampa feasted on their power play, and especially their 4 5on3 opportunities in 7 games played.

The only 2 teams that had Tampa on the brink were Toronto and Colorado, and Colorado didn't have any problems with a beaten down, Pointeless team.

• Haha
Reactions: Rengorlex

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No, not even a top 10 contender. No team with a blueline like that has ever won a cup. They are built around 1 dimensional forwards. They have 2 top 6 forwards that play both ways. The rest are cherrypickers. Colorado is the rabbit in the West. Flames and Blues are the hound. Kings will be good soon, maybe even this year. Oilers are irrelevant.
still going with this narrative eh? Flames can't even identify a core, let alone a core that can beat Edmonton when it counts

That speaks to just how good of a team the Leafs were last year. You switch to wins because his stats are bad but they keep winning. This is why Leaf fans feel ok with their goalies, we already won lots of games with AHL goaltending. Where the funny part is is the Oilers gave him 5x5 and now people are trying to pretend he is something he is not.
now we get to see if the Leafs can win with ECHL goaltending

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
still going with this narrative eh? Flames can't even identify a core, let alone a core that can beat Edmonton when it counts

now we get to see if the Leafs can win with ECHL goaltending

Samsonov played very well for stretches last season. So did Murray. They are no worse than what we had.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If last years Oilers had faced the Lightning in the playoffs, how many games would they have won?
if this
if that
if
if
if

None of it matters. What happened, happened and what's to come, will come. Oilers made the conference finals, the leafs were out in the first round. It doesn't matter how you win, it just matters that you win. At the end of the day a tight 7 game series or 4 game sweep, results in the in the same result.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Samsonov had .896 save percentage....Murray had a .906
it's one of the worst goaltending tandems in the league

What did Kallgren have? What did Mrazek have? What did Campbell have after Dec 1st? What did Campbell have in the playoffs?

I am not convinced these goalies are going Vezina and carrying the Leafs to the cup. My thinking is, we would literally need 1 decent hot stretch from one of them to replicate the goaltending we got last season where we set franchise records. I am not even convinced that means we repeat the result, just that we make the playoffs and that's all that matters.

I think if it is a glaring need, Dubas will be getting a starting goalie at the TDL for the playoffs. Until then, I think this has been a pretty safe play that has the potential to be very good if one of them plays like an NHL goalie. Don't forget we also have several goalies ready for NHL games including Kallgren who started down the stretch for us and Woll.

Low risk high reward.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What did Kallgren have? What did Mrazek have? What did Campbell have after Dec 1st? What did Campbell have in the playoffs?

I am not convinced these goalies are going Vezina and carrying the Leafs to the cup. My thinking is, we would literally need 1 decent hot stretch from one of them to replicate the goaltending we got last season where we set franchise records. I am not even convinced that means we repeat the result, just that we make the playoffs and that's all that matters.

I think if it is a glaring need, Dubas will be getting a starting goalie at the TDL for the playoffs. Until then, I think this has been a pretty safe play that has the potential to be very good if one of them plays like an NHL goalie. Don't forget we also have several goalies ready for NHL games including Kallgren who started down the stretch for us and Woll.

Low risk high reward.
sorry but contending teams don't rely on "hot streaks" from goalies who were terrible the previous year

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Campbell had one good month. November, which was very good. Other than that he was mediocre to downright bad last year. I think he can figure it out, but I wouldn’t be so confident he’s an upgrade on what Mike Smith gave the Oilers last year.
In the playoffs that’s fair but he’s still an upgrade over Koskinen who played 49 games for Edmonton last year.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. If they do, they probably will be gassed for a third run because climbing that mountain a third time gets progressively more exhausting and there's a toll on the body that has to be paid, so the Oilers will have a window open at that point most likely either way.

I still think also everyone is talking about Campbell, but Francouz/Georgiev as a tandem could come back to bite the Avs in the ass.
Georgie’s is a unknown for sure. Francouz was money by and large when keumper went down in the playoffs. The way the avs play defense mitigates Colorado goaltending. All we need from our tenders is to make the east saves and a couple tougher ones. Go back through and watch again

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Not top 5 they still have big holes to fill and a few god awful contracts to get out of.

Now to the petty and jealous fans of other teams shitting on Edmonton is comedy gold.

A few fans of a team that just won the cup are trolling non stop and my second favorite fan base the laffs making sure to remind hfboard how annoying and present they can be to defend the honor of there team.

Bring on the season too many day drinkers allowed to post.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
And hence why this thread is laughable. Oilers are doing exactly that and paying 5x5 for it. Leafs worst case LTIR Murray
? Leafs worst case is that Murray and Samsonov play like they have the last 3 years as some of the worst goalies in the league and waste another year.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
They are better and have a good shot at winning the Pacific division and going as deep as they did last year but there might be five teams in the eastern conference alone that are better than them plus Colorado and I'd say St. Louis as well.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
You might want to look at Huberdeau's playoffs last year and his playoff history in general.

He makes Gaudreau look like a playoff superstar.

There's a reason the Panthers have never gone anywhere in the playoffs, now he's going to lead a franchise without Barkov driving the bus? Yeah we'll see on that.

Kadri has never been the "guy" on a team since the AHL, he's a decent player but he's better off when he's like the 3rd or really 4th best player on a team.
Kadri was in every teams head this past post season he’s a pest. That was an all time classic playoffs from him he takes the attention from others. A lot like old Claude lemiux. That’s why that turd Kane took a super cheap hit on him.

Hube it’s my prediction the thread asked and I responded. I think Calgary is a better team then Edmonton, we’ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad