Are the Leafs gonna be tougher to play against?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He made them easier to play against because he was bad. Plus he was expensive, and all of the common narratives about "toughness" turned out to be false.
I'm sure they missed the parties once he was gone though.
I'm kind of surprised that your answer was so biased and emotional.

Hard to believe that someone who plays 8-9 min a night could make a team so bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm kind of surprised that you answer was so biased and emotional.
Hard to believe that someone who plays 8-9 min a night could make a team so bad.
My response was not biased or emotional. It was accurate.
He didn't "make the team so bad". The team was still good. He just individually wasn't and was a waste of roster spot and money.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
My response was not biased or emotional. It was accurate.
He didn't "make the team so bad". The team was still good. He just individually wasn't and was a waste of roster spot and money.
My understanding of opinions are that they are never measured. "accurate" is a measurement. If our opinions differ there is no right, wrong, or an accuracy.

"waste of roster spot and money" in my opinion is emotional.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I thought we wouldve been tougher when we signed Simmonds, thought for sure we'd see the same gritty Simmonds from LA/Philly. Not sure if he even exists,

you'd like to hope with Domi and Bertuzzi and Reaves that they help make this team a little more tougher. Not sure if Bradley has a time machine to the early 2000's and can bring in Tucker and Roberts.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My understanding of opinions are that they are never measured. "accurate" is a measurement. If our opinions differ there is no right, wrong, or an accuracy.
"waste of roster spot and money" in my opinion is emotional.
It's not an opinion or emotional. He's just bad, according to everything. You asked me why teams get rid of him, and that's why.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
ROR, Schenn, Acciari all have a lot of grit. We lost our 3 most grittiest players imo. But Domi and Bertuzzi also have a lot of grit and Reaves can box. I think we're better offensively though and we're in a similar position in terms of toughness.
ROR has no grit ...and he was the slowest guy on our team
Acciari hits everything, but, he's small, so, more of a pest
Schenn was strong, and played better than I expected, so, he's the only one we'll actually miss.

Domi is also pest like
Bertuzzi can be gritty if he stays healthy, and we need to see if we make moves on D to acquire toughness

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
ROR has no grit ...and he was the slowest guy on our team
Acciari hits everything, but, he's small, so, more of a pest
Schenn was strong, and played better than I expected, so, he's the only one we'll actually miss.

Domi is also pest like
Bertuzzi can be gritty if he stays healthy, and we need to see if we make moves on D to acquire toughness
I wasn't overly impressed with ROR...I don't know if it was the injuries he had this year or what...but I wasn't heart broken he went to the Preds. Acciari seemed ok hitting wise...but I would prefer they only kept Schenn...too bad he got the biggest offer he has had in 10+ years after 30 games with us. Talk about the Maple Leafs Bump....

Reactions: authentic

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It'll be a nice change just to see them finish more checks and limit the flybys to Nylander only.

I've always thought this was a style directed by Dubas. Hoping that style left with him.
You mean by signing Domi and his 22 hits, Bertuzzi and his 54 hits, Klingberg and his 55 hits?

Sure, Reaves had 196 in his 9 mins per game......but this is what they lost.

Acciari - 244 hits
Schenn - 318 hits
ZAR - 163 hits
J f'ing Holl - 151

Can you explain what the highlighted in your post refers to?

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
You mean by signing Domi and his 22 hits, Bertuzzi and his 54 hits, Klingberg and his 55 hits?

Sure, Reaves had 196 in his 9 mins per game......but this is what they lost.

Acciari - 244 hits
Schenn - 318 hits
ZAR - 163 hits
J f'ing Holl - 151

Can you explain what the highlighted in your post refers to?
Hit stats are deceptive. Any contract is called a hit, no matter how weak it was.
Take Holl for example, i would say he had 2 ‘real’ hits all season long.
If a guy throws a hit and the other player doesnt even Notice, or it didn’t separate the player from the puck who cares.
Hits are meant to either intimidate or stop a player or separate them from the puck and play. Just bumping into anyone who has or had the puck may look good, but has minimal impact unless the ‘hits’ are actually hard, and have some meanness or anger in them.

Reactions: Racer88 and ACC1224

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
When a team is "tough to play against" it means a team that will go through a wall to beat you. It means a team who will grind you into the dust, run you over, and work you to the absolute limit to secure two points on a random Tuesday night in January. We added a bunch of yappers, one of whom will actually drop the gloves but can't skate. While it's good to have yappers who will draw attention away from our core who can't hack the pressure, nothing about our core (the guys who drive the bus) has changed and they've never been the type who are willing to go to war against the Minnesota Wild in a mid-week home game.

More annoying to play against, absolutely. Domi and Bertuzzi will get plenty of penalty minutes for post-whistle crap and one of them might get themselves suspended for a few games, but that's not actually hard to play against. It's just annoying. Our team threw plenty of hits last year and that didn't really mean squat, because the team still isn't a team, rather a country club for talented hockey players, and prefer to roll over and die at the first chance they get because it's easier that way.

Management has been shuffling the supporting cast for almost a decade now. It's the core, so no, nothing has changed.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hit stats are deceptive. Any contract is called a hit, no matter how weak it was.
If a guy throws a hit and the other player doesnt even Notice, or it didn’t separate the player from the puck who cares.
Hits are meant to either intimidate or stop a player or separate them from the puck and play. Just bumping into anyone who has or had the puck may look good, but has minimal impact unless the ‘hits’ are actually hard, and have some meanness or anger in them.
Oh, so you mean that you can all fantasize about what you think it means?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Possibly a little tougher to play against. We should make the playoffs easily as we have in past years, but we'll see what happens in the playoffs. Lucic is slow and lumbering, so I'd doubt he'll get much ice time in the big games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We wont be fun to play against but that defense wont scare anyone.
I think Treliving knows that and hopefully would like to address it once he gets some bigger priority issues done.

Ideally Schenn would have returned, but we still need a at least one Dman like him added to the core of his ilk prior to the season.

NIkita Zadorev of the Flames would be a nice target.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I want to see bone crushing, mind numbing hits……real Old Testament shit…….
Then you must realize we aren’t “tougher”.

Odds are with a 6:1 ratio (exaggeration) the 6 isn’t just mild puck separation and the 1 isn’t guys waiting 3 weeks at a time for an explosive moment.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Yeah but are Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg hitting harder than Schenn, or even Acciari and Aston Reese? I don't believe so. Are they angrier? Perhaps, but not sure how much that will matter. Maybe we win a few more scrums or something.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Yeah but are Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg hitting harder than Schenn, or even Acciari and Aston Reese? I don't believe so. Are they angrier? Perhaps, but not sure how much that will matter. Maybe we win a few more scrums or something.
Schenn was good in front of the net... we should expect no physicality from Klingberg
I'm hoping Domi doesnt go all Bunting, but, he should be tougher than Bunting was.
Bertuzzi is the only one that will/should add physicality.
What makes Bert & Domi more valuable is that they can/should play in the top 6, not the 4th line like Acciari/Zar etc
We do need a physical defender still, and I'm still expecting/hoping Brodie gets flipped for one, because although he's usually solid defensively, he took a step back last year, and has zero physicality, and zero offense.
If we are going to pay 5 mil for a defense only player, I'd expect them to be tough and strong, not a 'finesse' defense first guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00