Are the Calgary Flames a bottom 5 team without Markstrom?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Calgary Flames a bottom 5 team without Markstrom?

• Yes

Votes: 97 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 33.1%

• Total voters

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Ducks, Sharks, Blackhawks, Coyotes, Bluejackets.

I just named 5 worse teams this season. Calgary was contending for the wildcard the majority of the season, which puts them on the lower end of middle of the pack.
Pretty irrelevant.

You're not taking into account the Tanev, Lindholm, Zadorov trades.

Flames 100% would have hovered around bottom 5 this upcoming season, even with Markstrom.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
they vastly overachieved. they're gonna be even worse next season.

How did they over achieve? Took months to figure out lines as half the forwards were new, PP sucked all year, and then they traded half the vets. They pretty much performed as expected, sucked the first couple months. Solid for a few months. Sucked after the TDL.

The PP is concerning but that's one of the easier things to fix, or just random variation fixes it while doing nothing.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The forward group ain’t bad, and I think Wolf gives them starter quality goaltending. But that blue line could be badddddd if they don’t resign Kylington.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe I'm blanking out but I don't really recall Calgary ever having a really high pick.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
SJ and Chicago is for sure worse, Anaheim and Columbus is probably worse, i dont think we are trash enough for top 5 but i wouldnt mind it.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Sadly the Flames need to tank to land a top 5 pick and hopefully eventually get a generational player. Trade Coleman, Mangiapane, Kadri and Andersen next year and Flames are bottom 5.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They sealed their short term fate signing Huberdeau/Kadri/Weegar. It is what it is.

If they want to go all-in for next year, they could probably do it. With the fall back that they have a bunch of UFAs next year that they could trade. Unless Huberdeau wakes up, they probably won't be better than a 1st rd team no matter what they do. There are moments where you just accept that though. It's not like Huberdeau is a life long Flame who means something to the franchise. He's a guy they had to/wanted to take because Tkachuk put them in a bad position. Which makes the contract extension stupid, but it's tough not to give it out when all your top players want out at the same time. That's a hit to the ego.

The Flames made their choice, and even a couple home playoff dates helps.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The Flames have six 1st round picks in the next three years. They better choose wisely.

Thats actually pretty decent and they still have some sellable assets (not named Huberdeau) that could land them more picks if they are smart.

There is no reason why that roster shouldnt be torn down and rebuilt completely.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
they imploded after making two key trades to add picks. They were going to be a bottom team even before the goaltending trade. Now? their goalies are Vadar and Wolf? does not bode well for the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad