Speculation: Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 132 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
For the first time, I don't think you can say they have any glaring holes. They are definitely a playoff team but a lot of things will need to strike for them to be contenders, which obviously includes health first, particularly Marchand and those hips. If Debrusk shows he is 30 goal scorer, Zacha can drive play on the 3rd line and Swayman takes a big step forward then we will be in really good shape.

Never mind if Carlo and Gryz have a resurgence and Montgomery can get a lot more out of the younger players and our bottom six veteran forwards, which I think he will.

It is going to be a fun season and thats all you can ask for as a fan.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Sneak in lol...they have a great team. Only missing 63 for 2 weeks and 73 for a month stop your insane comments this is a legit cup contender. 3 good lines 2 #1 dmen and 2 good goalies
Excellent comment ....."good players" = "great team".
I'll have that.
Hopefully other teams do not know of this strategy :snide:

Reactions: Gordoff

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
one and done with our goaltending.
pasta and hall will have better years i think.
if we had a prime tuukka we would make a run

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
one and done with our goaltending.
pasta and hall will have better years i think.
if we had a prime tuukka we would make a run
27B2E51A-C720-4D82-9F93-61EE18D2353D.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes. Fully expect them to compete for the division crown and be a real contender for the cup. If they fail, it will depend on how good or poor their playoff showing was before I look for heads to roll.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think the teams good and deep.

Bad coaching decisions cost us the last 2 exits I’m not chalking up anyone in the East as a loss.

Now that said it does feel like the end of this groups run and next summer we might have more changes than anyone wants coming.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think they have a shot with Swayman. He shouldn't be any worse then last year and he certainly wasn't the catalyst of the Bruins losing the series to Carolina.
We win the series if he starts game 2.

It’s kind of ridiculous he didn’t get a shot vs the Isles and Ullmark had a 2 loss leash. Ullmark got the way easier games down the stretch.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I hate to sound so pessimistic but there are two chances and slim just left town. 37 and 46 are old. 46 is injury prone. We know 37 plays hurt but the older he gets the less productive he'll be when confronted with dings.

The only playoff team last season that had their two top centers in the same age range was PIT with Crosby and Carter. We haven't seen 36 year old players playing major minutes on successful teams (except Pavelski),

Unless Coyle, Hall, DeBrusk or Zacha have career seasons, AND Marchand bounces back I am afraid to think how far out of it they may be by Christmas.

I hope I am wrong.
Since when is Krejci injury prone? And Bergeron is just weeks older than he was when he won the Selkie, injuries and all. I mean Father Time comes for us all, but no one can call when.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think if you look at the data you will find that since the 2012-13 lockout season he has only played 3 full seasons. He missed about 10% of games played in other years during that period. He has just played in three shortened seasons: 19/20 Covid, 20/21 bubble, 21/22 CZE. These would have been easier on his body.

Just trying to be realistic about how he will fare back in a tough, long season against top competition. I love his skillset and hope he can go full bore until Marchand and McAvoy get back. But as you say, Father Time.....
I don’t know man - looking at those last 10 seasons he only missed significant time twice and it was 5 and 8 years ago. I mean sure he could get injured, but his track record is a pretty long way from injury prone.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I'd say another WC finish. Maybe a spot or two higher if another team has injury problems.
I agree but really it all comes down to the first 2 months missing key pieces. If we stay in the wildcard race that is great stuff and I'm sure several young guys have progressed.

The problem is we could be more of a bottom feeder in these months. I really think we have to wonder what those first 2 months yield.

Montgomery's reputation has me feeling like he could be the right guy at the right time. Of course I always feel like there could be a positive spin and I'm not blind to that either.

Reactions: UncleRico

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I hate to sound so pessimistic but there are two chances and slim just left town. 37 and 46 are old. 46 is injury prone. We know 37 plays hurt but the older he gets the less productive he'll be when confronted with dings.

The only playoff team last season that had their two top centers in the same age range was PIT with Crosby and Carter. We haven't seen 36 year old players playing major minutes on successful teams (except Pavelski),

Unless Coyle, Hall, DeBrusk or Zacha have career seasons, AND Marchand bounces back I am afraid to think how far out of it they may be by Christmas.

I hope I am wrong.
First, I see you are new here so welcome to the board.:)

Second you are WRONG.

Bergy just won another Selke so CLEARLY, he is not done. Not as sure about DK but it is not like he wasn't playing hockey last season (just not here).

I have NO doubt that when Brad returns (and I believe it will be sooner than some here think) he will bounce back nicely. Not many work harder than Brad.

Hall is a great player. Jake D was looking pretty good. Pasta got 40 goals last season and will (most likely) be playing with DK.

We have 2 net minders that looked pretty good.

Mac will be back. Lindy looks good.

I am optimistic.....and no, I am NOT waving pom poms

I expect a challenging beginning but am looking forward to the season especially with a new coach.

GO Bs

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bruins are taking home the Cup this year.

Then people will complain about how much we have to pay Swayman after his Conn Smythe.
Idk what will be worse that or the Ullmark crowd insisting on the bruins keeping him around despite having to pay two goalies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
1st or 2nd round exit. We saw a pretty identical team before, 2 years younger and not missing their two best players half the year.

Just sign Pasta max term, hope the youth(Lysell, Lohrei, Harrison, Merkulov, Jellvik, etc etc) progresses, keep the 1sts/2nds, and I’ll be happy.

Cheers

Reactions: TCB and GoBs

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
:huh:. Bruins will need two net minders. Linus looks decent to me
I’m just saying swayman will need to get paid. Don’t need two goalies making $5m+ playing 50% of the games. One of them can play 60%-65% and the bruins can find a back up like halak who is getting paid a couple million. Team is already is a bad cap situation going into next year. Don’t need to be allocation 12% of the teams cap to two goalies who each play half a season. One needs to go. It’s just not an effective use of cap space.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Boston, Pittsburgh, and Washington are all in a similar "The bottom is going to fall out at some point, but hopefully not today" group.

All of the talking heads on NHL Network have said this off-season that the Bruins are still a playoff team with Bergeron and Krejci back in the fold.

Many also had the Isles winning the whole thing last season.
There are always a least a couple of surprises both in terms of teams making it, and missing.

B's are in that convo.

The problem is that the Bruins are looking to rely on older players to carry them through when they need to start looking to the future because they don't know when the wheels will fall off with Krejci and Bergeron. It's getting to the point of the Bruins playing russian roulette and after every year they continue to add another bullet into the revolver. Bergeron and Krejci can't remain as the offensive engine forever and the Bruins have not much for a d-core despite what some people on here may think. Unless they think Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Pasta, and Swayman are going to put this team on their backs while Gryz and co get beaten on the rush all the time, this team has not much going for them. Worse still, Sweenius is clogging potential roster spots for prospects to develop in with borderline players and washed up vets.

Reactions: Estlin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I agree but really it all comes down to the first 2 months missing key pieces. If we stay in the wildcard race that is great stuff and I'm sure several young guys have progressed.

The problem is we could be more of a bottom feeder in these months. I really think we have to wonder what those first 2 months yield.

Montgomery's reputation has me feeling like he could be the right guy at the right time. Of course I always feel like there could be a positive spin and I'm not blind to that either.

By the end of November the bruins will have played 22 games. They basically need to put up 22 points in that timeframe. I’m the final 60 games they’ll need to put up roughly 72-74 points to get to 94-96 points. That would be a 1.2 point per game pace for the final 60 games. Last year they played at a 1.3 pace for the entire season.

The only thing that worries me is that the east got significantly better. A lot of good players came over to the eastern conference and there’s some much improved teams.

If they are sitting below 20 points by the start of December I’d start getting nervous.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Even with Bergy and Krejci, this team ain't making it. Detroit is now a much better team and better than the Bruins. NJ Is much better and at least on par, Philly is better and not done, Ott is much better and just beneath. The Bruins now have a weaker team than last year and a worse, though still good, coaching staff. Edit: after looking at the Devil's roster, we may still have a slight edge.

PS, I still do not think Krejci returns.
I think if Montgomery can make good between-period adjustments when needed this team can win a lot of regular season games. Then I think as usual the team will be eliminated after one or two playoff rounds. I don't think we have the physical wherewithal to go much farther with our old core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad