Speculation: Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 132 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
So, what you're saying, that playoff was a success?

I'm stating what's written in this very thread... can you see the difference?
Yes the East was freaking loaded last year

8 teams over 100 points

Bruins with 107 point usually good for seed 1-3 in a conference where 7th

Besides for the 1 v8 match up FLA v WSH..which went 6

The other 3 series went 7 games

A bounce of the puck and the bruins are in the conference finals or cup finals

When teams are so tightly matched up and on a even playing field it comes down to bounces, puck luck, and refs

2011 and 2013 the bruins could have easily lost in round 1

Last year the bruins easily could have advanced with a little luck but it was not meant to be like 11 and 13

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I have seen some people saying round 2 exit and presidents trophy is success, or a cup final loss. Never have i seen someone say a 1st round exit is a success. I think you know that's a hyperbole.

Some people however do see a 1st round exit as not the end of the world or something to be overly negative about, if thats who you are talking about.
Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Edit: Just read post 176 for confirmation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
So much can happen, from surprising and underperforming.
I also feel like a lot of people just assume you're plugging in Krejci from 2021 into this line-up.

You HOPE he's that guy.

Never know with the injuries.

The defense looked to be shored up last season with the addition of Lindholm, but he gets concussed and you're all of a sudden right back to where you were.

Maintenance days with a guy like Bergeron are important, as he has a history of nagging injuries in the playoffs, the deeper they go.

But are you going to be so desperate to make up lost ground in the standings after a potential slow start due to injuries that you end up wearing him down in February and March?

Who knows.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I also feel like a lot of people just assume you're plugging in Krejci from 2021 into this line-up.

You HOPE he's that guy.

The defense looked to be shored up last season with the addition of Lindholm, but he gets concussed and you're all of a sudden right back to where you were.

Maintenance days with a guy like Bergeron are important, as he has a history of nagging injuries in the playoffs, the deeper they go.

But are you going to be so desperate to make up lost ground in the standings after a potential slow start due to injuries that you end up wearing him down in February and March?

Who knows.
I know, I share you're opinion... but we're Debbie's. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This roster is better then the 2019 team that went to game 7 of the cup

This team is a legit contender
It could be.

Last season, Bergeron's groin ligaments miraculously held up for the first time in half a decade. Everyone else got injured the last 45 days before the playoffs instead. They were legit going to pass Tampa before that spate of injuries. They didn't, then fizzled out.

I think the biggest concern for next season, aside from the possibility of these greybeards going lame, has to be the coach. I'm not sure anyone can say with any degree of certainty what effect Montgomery will have. The zoomers from Providence will be elated to not be bullied, I'm sure, but I haven't a clue how this team will play in 2023. Not worried about it, but it's another unknown variable like injury luck.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I think we will make the playoffs and I am not concerned about the first round seeding, lets just get in.
I would expect at the start of the season with missing Mac / Marchand and Gryz, we will be hovering somewhere between 7-8 in the standings, then move up as the injured players return.
The wildcard team to make the playoffs this year is the Islanders. If they sign Kadri, I would count them in and one of Pittsburgh or Washington misses out.
I hope JM is smart and monitors Bergy and Krejci's ice time in the regular season and gives them plenty of maintenance days off, so they are fresh for the playoffs. Players like Coyle / DeBrusk ( who was killing penalties last year) and Zacha need to play more to even out the ice with the top nine forwards.
It will be interesting to see if JM moves Zacha to the first line, replacing Marchand until he returns?
I hope the Bruins figure out a solution with Foligno this year. I have Studnicka, Steen, Nosek, Frederic and Mclaughlin ahead of him on the depth chart as far as 4th liners are concerned. There is no room for him to be playing on this team.

Reactions: Otherworld

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I mean....I'm not, no. I see maturity in some, new additions in others (Lindholm), I see nostalgia and motivation for a last ride, I see Zacha being a 60pt guy, I see Lysell - I don't compare this team to the last time Krejci was here very much, to be honest.

That said, I respect others not seeing things the same way I do.

I love the optimism. What you are saying is certainly valid and makes sense.

But if I had to bet on it, not a Cup contender. I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Considering the Bruins are set down the middle really helps their chances of treading water or better for the first 20 games. I love the opportunities being made available on the wings - if one or two young guys take a step forward, the impact will be huge when Marchand comes back.

DeBrusk Bergy Pasta
Hall Krejci Smith/Studnicka
Zacha Coyle Steen/Lysell
Freddy Nosek Foligno/McLaughlin

Literally all bottom nine wingers except for Hall will be competing for their jobs…but with support from strong pivots and Montgomery’s approach…it’s an ideal situation for these kids.

Studnicka, Steen and McLaughlin have all shown they can play. They just need to prove they can be reliable. Lysell is the dark horse. I doubt he will spend the season with BOS, but he definitely gets a look.

Patrice stated an important fact in the presser. It’s far better to start the season with a challenge and chance to overcome adversity than it is to face it later. As long as the bruins come together and forge identity early, I think it bodes very well for the squad later in the season.

Florida and Tampa took steps back. Toronto hasn’t solved their age old issues in net, as far anyone can tell.

The Atlantic is there for the taking.

Let’s gooooooo!
Studnicka , Steen and Mclaughlin have all shown they can play ,must have missed those games.......

Reactions: Kegs

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
The Bruins are a playoff team. But unfortunately that all they are. There are too many good hockey teams for them to go far in the East.

Reactions: Spooner st

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Yes the East was freaking loaded last year

8 teams over 100 points

Bruins with 107 point usually good for seed 1-3 in a conference where 7th

Besides for the 1 v8 match up FLA v WSH..which went 6

The other 3 series went 7 games

A bounce of the puck and the bruins are in the conference finals or cup finals

When teams are so tightly matched up and on a even playing field it comes down to bounces, puck luck, and refs

2011 and 2013 the bruins could have easily lost in round 1

Last year the bruins easily could have advanced with a little luck but it was not meant to be like 11 and 13
In an early game, I can't remember which, Taylor Hall hit the post and shortly thereafter, Gryz made the horrible pinch and Carolina scored. In Game 7, Frederick hit the post with the potential tying goal and Carolina went right down the ice and scored the winning goal. If those two go in, Boston very well may have won the series, but overall Carolina had the deeper team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
while I`m all on board with Bergy and DK being back (obviously), I think the absence of Marchand/McAvoy and Grizz will have this team in a position that they have to hang on until their return and with the improvement of many teams in the East, not guaranteed they`ll be able to do so.

At the time of their return though, I still have huge concerns, none of those 3 will have the normal summer routine of training, getting into game shape etc...I think when they come back, all 3 will take another month or so just to get that timing back and all toes and fingers crossed our boys aren`t out of a playoff spot by that time, sure be a crap way to wind down the careers of DK and Bergy

Reactions: quietbruinfan

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019

You HOPE he's that guy.

Who knows.
And for all but a 15-20 game stretch with Hall he really wasn't that good in 21 to begin with.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
With Bergy and Krejci back Bruins are probably a playoffs team, physical play is a problem they haven’t solved for years now, this team dont have a forward or a D or both who can play hard and physical, so they need that kind of assets to be contender...

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Not only a playoff team, but a serious cup contender
So basically your saying by adding Krejci and Zacha they've become a serious cup contender - I don't see it , I'd love to see it, but I just can't see the logic especially with the injuries to start the season. Do I feel they can make the playoffs - as long as they don't get any more significant injuries.

With Bergy and Krejci back Bruins are probably a playoffs team, physical play is a problem they haven’t solved for years now, this team dont have a forward or a D or both who can play hard and physical, so they need that kind of assets to be contender...
And they've just became a lot slower at Center .

Reactions: Spooner st

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
So basically your saying by adding Krejci and Zacha they've become a serious cup contender - I don't see it , I'd love to see it, but I just can't see the logic especially with the injuries to start the season. Do I feel they can make the playoffs - as long as they don't get any more significant injuries.

And they've just became a lot slower at Center .
Come on, Krejci and Bergy never been speedy guy, they re more playmaker

Reactions: Kegs

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This roster is better then the 2019 team that went to game 7 of the cup

This team is a legit contender

This doesn't account for Father Time. Bergeron is 37, Krejci 36 and with a year out of the NHL. Bergy, for all his undoubted continuing defensive prowess, no longer has quite the offensive impact he once had. He got beaten by Staal in the first round last season. Hurts to say it as a Bs fan, but it's the truth and it was an important factor in the Canes' victory. The Islanders muted him the year before too. As for Krej, we hope he can get back to something near his best, but that's no certainty. Regardless, these guys are not who they were 3 years ago. At their age, they just can't be. Then you have Marchand returning from double hip surgery. Again that's not easy, especially at 34. Hopefully like Krej he turns out completely fine. But we will see.

On the flip side of course, you have Pasta, McAvoy and DeBrusk all older and more experienced. But is Pasta better than he was in 2019? I'm not sure he is. He's great, but I feel like he might be one who peaked early and is now just going to hold that admittedly very high level. Chucky is better for sure, DeBrusk has shown he can be if he can hold his form of late last year, but he still needs to prove he can be consistent.

Elsewhere on the roster, Hall is of course a big gain. 3rd line Zacha-Coyle-Smith or something like it replaces Johansson-Coyle-Heinen. The current unit has the potential to be better but Zacha still has to prove it at his new club, and Coyle and Smith need to rediscover their best form. Smith in particular is coming off a disappointing season and Coyle has never quite recaptured his 2019-20 performance. 4th line is very much wait and see, but Kuraly-Acciari-Wags/Nordy was a very very capable unit in 2019, and finding a combo that can play at their level or better will not be easy.

Defense, Lindholm for Chara, of course. Very different styles, but in talent level it's pretty like for like. Krug is gone and nobody else on this team packs his offensive punch, especially on the PP. Carlo in theory should be better but because of his head issues so far he has not been. Huge question mark there. Clifton and Gryz are still here. Cliffy is better, Gryz is Gryz. Instead of Miller and Moore you have Forbort, Reilly and Zboril, which is a bit of a wash.

Put that all together and I do think the current roster at its best could match it with the 2019 one. Better? I doubt it. But competitive, I think so. BUT you're relying on a lot to go the Bruins' way to get there. 37 & 46 defying time and injury, Marchand completely recovering, DeBrusk maintaining the rage, all 3 of the 3rd line coming good, finding a 4th that works, Carlo sorting his head out, and the defense in general both driving enough offense from the back end and proving tough enough in their own zone. There's a very good team in there, but it's going to need a lot of hard work and not a little luck to really show itself.

Edit: forgot to mention the all-important goalie situation. Swayman is a good'un, and should continue to improve, but he is no peak Rask yet. Don't see it as a weakness, but it is another TBC.

Last edited:

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Bergeron is an angel sent to us from the heavens. He is everything.
Yeah you re right, he saved Bruins 2022-23 season, add Krejci is a big ++ too...and it is not because of Sweeny genius, both took big pay cut just to help this team...

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Even with Bergy and Krejci, this team ain't making it. Detroit is now a much better team and better than the Bruins. NJ Is much better and at least on par, Philly is better and not done, Ott is much better and just beneath. The Bruins now have a weaker team than last year and a worse, though still good, coaching staff. Edit: after looking at the Devil's roster, we may still have a slight edge.

PS, I still do not think Krejci returns.
You are wrong about many things, This team will push to the end. They will certianly get a spot and be a formidable playoff team. Look at the top 6 Likely lysell is on third line after Brad returns. And Krejci, well you know!

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
You are wrong about many things, This team will push to the end. They will certianly get a spot and be a formidable playoff team. Look at the top 6 Likely lysell is on third line after Brad returns. And Krejci, well you know!
They are injured , have no depth, and are older, slower and mediocre. Three or four of the teams behind them got much better. We shall see if I am "wrong about many things." I was wrong about DK, but the other stuff, I will be right. Just watch.

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
They are injured , have no depth, and are older, slower and mediocre. Three or four of the teams behind them got much better. We shall see if I am "wrong about many things." I was wrong about DK, but the other stuff, I will be right. Just watch.
Those other teams did get better, but thet were awful! Bruins are also improved, add DK, HL and some youth.

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad