Speculation: Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 132 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Yes when they win enough games for 96-97 points...

No cakewalk in the East this year

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The East is gonna be a dog fight. Again.

I believe they will get in
I think Carolina, New York Rangers, Tampa, Florida, and Toronto are locks.

After that? Your guess is as good as mine.

The Bruins’ injuries are scary. The Islanders found themselves in an insurmountable hole last season and never recovered.

B’s need to at least tread water until the cavalry arrives.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think with PB and DK back they make the playoffs. Toronto is going to top the Atlantic, IMO that’s basically a lock. But Tampa is not what they were and I don’t think the Panthers will be either. On the other hand you have teams like the Red Wings and Sens on the rise but I’m not sure they’ll quite be pushing the top of the table just yet. What is almost certain is the competition will be closer and the points more evenly spread than last season, in both the Atlantic and Metro. So consistency and minimizing loss of points in situations/games where you really shouldn’t are going to be really important.

Put that together and the Bruins have the roster to be right in the mix. They’re going to have a slow start, but what they have to probably aim for is to be at least .500 by the end of November. Then with returning players and hopefully guys like Zacha, Lindholm (still hasn’t played much with the Bs) and probably even Krejci after his absence starting to really gel with their teammates, they can then go to work and put together a strong back half/two thirds of the season. It’ll be a battle but experience should tell in their favor and they’re every chance to qualify, provided they stay mostly healthy down the stretch.

Playoffs I think are a different story. There’s a path to a deep run but IMO it’s quite narrow. The defense still feels too soft and a player short, preferably someone tough and with playoff experience, and I suspect if they’re in a favorable position at the deadline that’s the kind of player they will, or at least should, be targeting. Filling that gap would help a lot, but you’re also banking on Carlo to get his head right again, which is not guaranteed. In net they’ll need Swayman to take that next step in his progression to be a real contender. I’m pretty confident on that one, but again it’s not a certainty. Up front, there are a number of question marks – can Bergy and Krej still play at a really high level, particularly in the faster, harder postseason environment, at the age of 37? And can they stay healthy? How will Marchand go coming back from double hip surgery? That’s tough, especially at his age. Some players with similar situations have returned to their best, others have struggled. Will Zacha make good on his obvious potential? Will we see 2022 DeBrusk or the 2020-21 version? Can the Bruins get something out of a couple of prospects and finally put together a really effective bottom 6 for the first time since 2019, and will Coyle find his best form again?

Most of these unknowns fall in their favor, and the Bruins could be in business. But it’s asking quite a lot to go right, and that’s where I have doubts about their credentials. But what I will say is this lineup is exciting, Monty should bring some freshness and new ideas behind the bench, and I think it’s going to be a lot of fun taking a ride with this team through the coming season, no matter where they end up. So despite my reservations about where this organization is headed in the long-term, for now I say bring it on!

Reactions: duffy

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Now that the top 6 centers are set I will say yes they make the playoffs. So much is dependent on how the team does until Marchy and Charlie return. They cannot afford to get too far behind during that stretch. I believe some guys will step up and the Bs will be fine. Excellent leadership on and behind the bench. Really pumped for the season to get started. Love this group of players and the coaches.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Yes? All depends on recovery and how the aging guys can handle another year.
Krejci is a question mark. Bergeron coming off another stellar season and Selke #6, he’ll be ready to roll.

My hope is guys like Hall etc step up a notch due to the talent around them. It’s possible Hall explodes for 80+ points this season

Reactions: Ladyfan

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I voted yes because today is a feel good day. Are they a playoff team? Who knows. We don’t know how those injuries are going to heal. Is Krejci still have it. What does Zacha bring? Can Little Z recover from his injury? How’s Mr. DB going to play this year? Does Carlo kinda rebound? New coach………At least there is a direction this upcoming year now.

P.S. Maybe we’ll have less bickering now. It’s been brutal here!🤣

Reactions: Blowfish and TCB

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’m not going to lie, I got a tad emotional today when I saw that Krejci & Bergeron signed for one more year. Two Bruins I have watched from their first game on, and both guys have been such professionals on and off the ice.

I think this will be a special season to be a Bruins fan. Do they win the cup? Who knows. I just think it’s going to be a fun one to watch.

If this is indeed the last dance. Let’s f***ing dance.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think adding Bergeron and Krejci for a final run is necessary. It also gives players like Studnicka a chance to grow through experience during the early injury time. It gives Zacha a change of teams to see if he is better than a lazy opportunities guy, is he the first choice or a big mistake. There is time for Coyle to show he is better than a 3rd line center, developing his passing skills. Other forwards will get a chance early on in the season to gain experience while filling in for those out on injury.

The big question will be where do we stand when the injured players return? Can they make up and/or just continue into a Cup contender?

I am positive but it will require Hall to carry a bigger load offensively, Lindholm to do the same and Swayman and Ullmark to have a great season in goal.

I think they can do it.

I would have preferred Cassidy he is a top coach, watch him with Vegas, if they have the players (I don't follow them but will this season)

We have a new coach, he has my support for whatever that is worth.

A lot will depend on Sweeney being ready for the unusual injury or breakdown of a unit or line. I don't have the faith. But time will tell.

Let's have a fun season, give the team time. Don't go to negative too soon.

Go Bruins

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I really hope that/wonder if teams will take them lightly the first few weeks of the season due to Marchand, McAvoy and Grzelcy’s injuries and they can tread water.

There’s no way to know right now, but I’ll say if they are .500 or better by the Christmas break, they‘ll make it.

They seem to be a strong March team most seasons. Hopefully that continues and pushes them into the playoffs.

Also, I think Toronto takes a step backward. Not miss the playoffs bad, just not going to be over 103 or so points.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think so, but a lot will depend on how the first two months of the season goes. Need to go slightly better than .500.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
With Bergeron and Krejci back in the picture I say yes.

1. Florida
2. Boston
3. Tampa
4. Ottawa
5. Toronto
6. Detroit
7. Buffalo
8. Montreal

Having Toronto that low is a hot take but I like what we have done to improve and Ottawa has definitely improved a ton. Toronto has taken a step back with goaltending and if they run into injury problems with Murray it'll be even worse. Beyond the first line, I'm really not a fan of that team and the defense no one besides Rielly stands out to me on them. I think they slip out or fight it out for WC2 and we get to see a firey off-season in Toronto

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
if everyone stays healthy its a lock imo and of course McAvoy and Marchand make it back healthy, but I want a cup and their not that far away, again depending on health and adding some toughness/determination/nastiness and grit to the roster, then their right there.

Reactions: missingchicklet

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
With Bergeron and Krejci back in the picture I say yes.

1. Florida
2. Boston
3. Tampa
4. Ottawa
5. Toronto
6. Detroit
7. Buffalo
8. Montreal

Having Toronto that low is a hot take but I like what we have done to improve and Ottawa has definitely improved a ton. Toronto has taken a step back with goaltending and if they run into injury problems with Murray it'll be even worse. Beyond the first line, I'm really not a fan of that team and the defense no one besides Rielly stands out to me on them. I think they slip out or fight it out for WC2 and we get to see a firey off-season in Toronto
No Islanders ?
Lol: Never mind

Reactions: Blowfish

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I’m not going to lie, I got a tad emotional today when I saw that Krejci & Bergeron signed for one more year. Two Bruins I have watched from their first game on, and both guys have been such professionals on and off the ice.

I think this will be a special season to be a Bruins fan. Do they win the cup? Who knows. I just think it’s going to be a fun one to watch.

What??? The BIG tough Sheppy getting emotional??? Love it!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
110 point team when healthy.
.500 team over the first 20 games while learning new systems without key players.
= 100 point team when all is said and done.

It's going to be a tough to make the playoffs with 100 points in an improved division. It's going to take some big wins down the stretch in those 4 point games.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

If they can somehow manage to trade for Lucic (50% retained) I’ll look to buy season tix!!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I truly believe coaching is going to make a big difference this season. Several players will get more confidence and be better. Also, watch this Bs team have more jam and nasty than what we have become accustomed to. Monty teams do not play soft. Even "soft" players play tougher under him. Last season I predicted the Bs to make the playoffs and lose in round 1. I just didn't see a roster/staff that would go further than that.

This year with a true 2C, the addition of Lindholm, an improved Jake, Zacha even being a bit of a wildcard, and of course a coach that wants his teams to play with more nasty than Cassidy ever did, I feel as good about the Bs chances as I have in many years. Might sound stupid, but if this team makes the playoffs after weathering the first couple months and doesn't get bit by the injury bug at the end of the season, I think the Bs are Cup contenders in 2023. The guys are going to circle the wagons and rally around each other big time. Haven't been this optimistic about the potential of a Bs team since the Julien years. I hope this post ages well.

Reactions: bme44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad