Speculation: Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 132 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
NOOO this team is laughable. I really don't understand what Sweeney is doing... Should have blown it up this year and start over. Even IF DK Came back they're to old and slow. Bottom 6 is awful... Who knows what marchand will be like after his surgery, he relies on his lower body so much. Teams are getting younger, faster and more skilled.
We're just aging HOPING JJ gets his first round exit... But they won't even get that
Laughable

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
No way I can vote one way or the other at this point. I need to see what happens with Bergy and Krejci, and see what other moves DS makes.

One thing that should be considered is that some of the games that had a good probability of getting 2 pts for the Bs are not going to be so guaranteed next season. Looks like there will be more parity in the East than last season. Going to be a dog fight.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
If one puts any stock in the American Thanksgiving benchmark, probably not. That's not to say when the wounded return the B's can't go on a run and a team who started hot cools down.

But looking at the signings yesterday, Ottawa and Detroit are looking to make the playoffs, and Columbus and Buffalo will be tougher.

I expect things to me much tighter for the Eastern Conference as a whole, so having a good 3-on-3 and shootout aces will be necessary. Loser points will be at a premium. ;)

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think its pretty much all but set it stone that bergy and krejci will be back. The biggest issue is the start of the season. roughly 20 games without Merchand and Mcavoy and what 15 without Gryz. Sure people have their reservations about Gryz, but hes better than the replacement that will be in there for him.

This will be the true test:

Monday, Nov. 21 at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 23 at Florida, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 25 vs. Carolina, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 29 vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 3 vs. Colorado, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 5 vs. Vegas, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 7 at Colorado, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 9 at Arizona, 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 11 at Vegas, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 13 vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 15 vs. Los Angeles, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 17 vs. Columbus, 1 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 19 vs. Florida, 7 p.m.

That is going to be the toughest stretch of the season with Marchand and Mcavoy out or just getting their legs under neath them for most of it. December 19th against florida will mark the 31st game of the year.

They need to at bare minimum get 31 points out of those first 31 games. Theyll need to play at a 109 point pace in the final 51 games to get to 98 points in that scenario.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think it's going to be really hard to make the playoffs, because not only are they going to be without 3 important players for the first 20 games, they're also going to be learning a new system. It's like last year, we had to integrate 5 or 6 guys into the lineup and it took them until Christmas to finally all be on the same page.

I can see them stumbling early, and having trouble playing .500 hockey over the first 20 games. At that point, they get healthy, they're on the same page, and I think a full roster, assuming Bergeron and Krejci come back, is a 110 point team.

So, let's say 17 points in the first 20 games, then a .670 (110 pt pace) over the final 62 games... that would give them exactly 100 points on the season. They'd have to climb over teams and it would really come down to the wire. I think they'll still be out of the playoff picture at the deadline too, so no deadline additions either (which is not necessarily a bad thing, we need those picks!).

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Ottawa and the Isles are the teams I'm most worried about.

I think Ottawa is going to be a beast to play against. Not only are they young and talented but Tkachuk is going to bully the heck out this team. We didn't do anything to address that element.

The Isles missed last year because of that brutal early road schedule and injuries... and I bet they will add a forward before all the dust settles.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think it's going to be really hard to make the playoffs, because not only are they going to be without 3 important players for the first 20 games, they're also going to be learning a new system. It's like last year, we had to integrate 5 or 6 guys into the lineup and it took them until Christmas to finally all be on the same page.

I can see them stumbling early, and having trouble playing .500 hockey over the first 20 games. At that point, they're healthy, they're on the same and I think a full roster, assuming Bergeron and Krejci come back, is a 110 point team.

So, let's say 17 points in the first 20 games, then a .670 (100 pt pace) over the final 62 games would give them exactly 100 points on the season. They'd have to climb over teams and it would really come down to the wire. I think they'll still be out of the playoff picture at the deadline so no deadline additions either (which is not necessarily a bad thing, we need those picks!).

Good assessment. One thing I would add is that the Bruins having a number of injured players for the start of the season really reduces their ability to live with and overcome any further injuries down the stretch. They are going to need to be lucky, and when at least one of your top centers, possibly two, is 35+, and you have some injury-proneness elsewhere, especially on D, that's asking a lot. They're also going to need at least a couple of prospects or still-youngsters like Frederic to step up and produce.

The Bruins under Cassidy were almost always good for a post-New Year's hot streak. With the obvious exception I can recall in 2019-20 when they started brilliantly, it's tends to be how the team has built their seasons of late - start middling to slow, get hot for a while, then stick at around .600 in the final month or two. They have it in them to do it again, and it's where experience helps a lot as the games pile up, but they're going to be up against it, that's for sure.

As long as the veterans and stars are present and healthy, this roster will not go out quietly. They'll fight it out to the end. Whether that's going to be enough though I'd say is more uncertain that any season since 2017.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
If Bergeron and Krejci return the Bruins are an absolute lock to make the playoffs. The pretenders like Ottawa have to deal with incredibly raised expectations, they aren't ready for primetime yet.
Yep. Look at the defense and goaltending of some of these supposedly "much improved" teams in the East. Awful. The Bruins have two starters.

The Bruins may flounder a bit until December, but that's no different than last year.

If Bergeron is here and healthy they are in. Krejci just makes it even more likely. The Bruins will tear through some part of the schedule again next year. Marchand and McAvoy will light the league up in the new year.

Last edited:

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
If 37 and 46 come back

This team easily makes the playoffs
They should also do damage in the playoffs if Bergeron and Krejci return.

Their top 9 should be one of the very best in the NHL and near the best Bruins top 9 groups in memory.

Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Hall - Krejci - Pastrnak
Zacha - Coyle - Smith

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I think they contend, and assuming Bergy and Krejci are back they should make the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up just missing though.

They're no better/worse then they were last year. Starting the season off with a bunch of key players on IR hurts and may lock them into the wild card spot, but they should be in the running nonetheless. Yes Ottawa, Detroit, Isles should be better then they were last year, but there's a big difference between should and are. And better does not mean "better than the Bruins" regardless. Better for those teams, mean they're on par with Boston, not above them. At worst, I think the Bruins are in contention for the wild card in the final week of the season (and just miss).

The only way I'd actually be surprised would be if the Bruins finished 1st or 2nd in the Atlantic.

I'd say:

10% shot at 3rd in the Atlatnic
80% shot at the Wild Card (1st or 2nd)
10% miss playoffs

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yep. Look at the defense and goaltending of some of these supposedly "much improved" teams in the East. Awful. The Bruins have two starters.

The Bruins may flounder a bit until December, but that's no different than last year.

If Bergeron is here and healthy they are in. Krejci just makes it even more likely. The Bruins will tear through some part of the schedule again next year. Marchand and McAvoy will light the league up in the new year.
Cam talbot is a good goalie. Ottawa will be good next year barring crazy injuries.

Reactions: Estlin and Gordoff

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
There are three scenarios
Bergy and Krejci are not back, no not a playoff team
Bergy back not Krejci, playoff team but not a contender
Bergy and Krejci back, we are contenders baby plan the route

Really though the season will be decided on how Marchand recovers from double hip surgery in his mid thirties

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I am going back and forth (factoring Krecji + Bergeron signing, if they don't sign then forget it)

I could see us not be able to make the dance, but you never know with a new coach. Maybe we overperform and get top 3 over a Toronto team rocking Matt Murray and Ilya Samsonov in net.

I am not scared of any of the Atlantic teams outside of the usual suspects. Will Buffalo/Montreal/Ottawa/Detroit all be better than last year? Yes. Will they be good enough to leap frog any of the top 4? I doubt it. Ottawa has an excellent forward core, but their defensive depth is meh. Chabot-Zub is a great top pairing but who's their 2nd pairing RHD? Travis Hamonic. While Forsberg and Talbot are both solid goalies, they're not good enough to steal games night in and night out. I also want to see how DJ Smith does with a decent team for once as I'm not sold on him yet. If they add a RHD between now and October, I might change my tune a little bit.

My concern is with the metro. I could definitely see 5 metro teams making it which could screw us. Every team in that division has a chance except maybe Philadelphia and even then I think Torts is a hell of a coach that can turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’d be shocked if the 100 point bruins don’t make the playoffs. The defence got better by adding lindholm. There’s injuries but I think they will be fine. If they had two top tier centres they are probably a dark horse

Like for real if krecji and Bergeron are signed then this is a no brainer for me.

• Haha
Reactions: PB37 and Spooner st

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I say yes, probably as a wild card team due to the combination of injuries and a gauntlet of a schedule through christmas

Toronto
Florida
Tampa

Carolina
NYR
Pittsburgh

Bruins
Capitals/senators

WF19

Nov 18, 2009

Detroit likely has 2 starters, they improved lines.2,3 and 4 and their defense is much better a new coaching staff not too mention a few good rookies that are fighting for a spot on the team. Ottawa gained a 40 goal scorer, Sanderson will probably be up, got their hometown boy in Giroux and landed Talbot, Buffalo has Dahlin and Power and some young studs but their goaltending is suspect..

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Too many question marks still regarding the roster to determine if they’re a playoff team. If they can get Bergeron and Krejci signed then they have a chance. That said the east is an absolute behemoth this year.
• Canes improved
• Sens greatly improved but we’ll have to see how they do
• Pens improved
• NYR improved
• Wings improved but I don’t know if it puts them over the B’s just yet
• Blue Jackets improved

Then there’s teams that stayed the same or took slight steps backwards but were already better than the B’s
• Leafs
• Lightning
• Panthers

The way I see it the three above are likely the top in the Atlantic again. The Bruins IF they sign Bergeron and Krejci will be battling it out with the Sens for the 4th spot in the Atlantic. The Metro likely sees the Canes and Rags dominate again, with the Pens, Caps, Isles, and Blue Jackets fighting it out for the 3rd and 4th spot. I could see the Isles beating the Bruins out for a WC spot.

But too early to tell. One thing is for damn sure. This team as presently constituted is DOA. So if Sweeney stands pat then they’re closer to a lottery team than a playoff team. Kind of scary to think about considering they’re up against the cap. Wondering when Sweeney will finally be held accountable?

Reactions: Estlin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They were the 3rd best team in the league after January 1. They're adding Krejci and Lindholm for a whole season. Marchand will be back by Halloween, missing just 9 games.

Montgomery will have them competing for the division title.

How much better is this current Krejci than Haula?
Maybe he’s a beast but at 36 after playing in an inferior league the wheels could easily fell off.

Staal, Getzlaf, Weber, Suter, Parise, Perry. All past elite players from their time either gone or ghosts of themselves.

& this is a very old lineup which will only raise the risk of injuries

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ottawa and the Isles are the teams I'm most worried about.

I think Ottawa is going to be a beast to play against. Not only are they young and talented but Tkachuk is going to bully the heck out this team. We didn't do anything to address that element.

The Isles missed last year because of that brutal early road schedule and injuries... and I bet they will add a forward before all the dust settles.

Isles aren’t the team I’m as worried about, feel like they’ve run out of gas after tapping that rosters max potential for few years.

Columbus is a wild card team for next year, not as that they’ll get in as wc team but how will they look next year.

They have momentum on their side, added the best player from all the Eastern teams and Johnson& Sillinger are full time NHL players and Laine missed half the season last year.

Ottawa I agree, they have one of the best top6’s in the league and Sanderson on the blueline looks promising, not to mention Talbot>> Murray

Sens
Boston
Columbus
Was
Pens
Out of those teams there’s 3 playoff spots available

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayMakers

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Hall Bergeron DeBrusk
Zacha Krejci Pasta
Frederic Coyle Smith
Foligno Nosek Steen

Lindholm Zboril
Reilly Carlo
Forbort Clifton

Swayman
Ullmark

The having a miserable start to the season is a little over dramatic

This roster is more then good enough to stay afloat for 20 games

Did we somehow manage to squeeze Zacha, Bergeron, Krejci in for around 4m? Does anyone remember the hell Vegas went through to stay cap compliant once some of their LTIR guys were ready to come back? They need to move one or two contracts now if they plan to bring back Bergeron and Krejci. Hoping that someone bites mid-season isn’t a great plan IMO.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I heard an analysis of the Leafs in the context of the Atlantic Division this morning.

Essentially, they claimed that despite the changes in net, Toronto is essentially bringing back the same team.

They said that Tampa and Florida will still be difficult.

They pointed out that Ottawa and Detroit continue to improve.

They said that Boston is always a pain in Toronto’s butt.

Yesterday, they were analyzing Pittsburgh and the fact that they keep bringing back the same aging core.

That ownership has rewarded that core for past performance with loyalty, but that the club has underachieved in recent years with first round exits.

Bruins Ownership on the one hand touted their over .600 winning percentage during Sweeney’s tenure as well as 3 Final appearances in 11 seasons. On the other hand, Sweeney says they underachieved and axed the coach.

This is a long way of saying that the Bruins franchise right now feels like a rudderless ship. The bottom hasn’t fallen out, but they’re definitely not getting better. It’s like holding on “for one more run”, but one more run at what exactly?

I voted “no” in this poll, but perhaps my more elaborate response should be “Maybe, but so what?”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad