Speculation: Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Bruins a playoff team in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 132 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I used the comparison in the other thread, but the injuries out of the gate could put the Bruins behind a similar 8-ball to what the Islanders faced last fall with their extended road trip.

It's not easy to dig out of a hole, given the level of parity in the league.
The reality is, in a 32 team league, only half the clubs qualify for the tournament.

Just making the dance is far from guaranteed.
Another one and done at best.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan and Estlin

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Hall Bergeron DeBrusk
Zacha Krejci Pasta
Frederic Coyle Smith
Foligno Nosek Steen

Lindholm Zboril
Reilly Carlo
Forbort Clifton

Swayman
Ullmark

The having a miserable start to the season is a little over dramatic

This roster is more then good enough to stay afloat for 20 games

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hall Bergeron DeBrusk
Zacha Krejci Pasta
Frederic Coyle Smith
Foligno Nosek Steen

Lindholm Zboril
Reilly Carlo
Forbort Clifton

Swayman
Ullmark

The having a miserable start to the season is a little over dramatic

This roster is more then good enough to stay afloat for 20 games
that D is frighteningly scary and not in a good way, can they stay afloat? Sure, lots has to go right though

Reactions: Gordoff

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Even with 37 and 46, the injuries are tough. But I do think we are a playoff team with them.

If Coyle-Zacha are our top 2… then the answer is no for a few years.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
As of today no. If Bergeron comes back they'll make it.

I'm not really scared of teams like Detroit and NJ after today, chemistry is not guaranteed to happen regardless of how many names you add. It could take them as many games to figure it out as it takes for the Bruins to get healthy.

I think Pitts and Caps are just as likely to take a step back as we are.

The only team I really could see jumping into the playoffs are the Sens, but they still are far from perfect.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
We finished 2 points behind Tampa last year and they lost McDonaugh and Palat and have played so much hockey

Cirelli is out 6 months

The rangers roster is status quo Copp and Trocheck is basically a wash

I Doubt Igor duplicates his season where he was statistically one of the greatest goalies in nhl history

They will drop in the standings

Florida lost Marshmont, Duclair, Giroux
Lot of talent up front

Toronto lost some good depth forwards and got much worse in goal

This guy each off season has doom fate for Bruins and believes so many teams on the upswing are going ahead of them. He was even scared of the lowly Habs last year after their fluke Covid Cup run. 🤣

He may be right some day. But this Bruins team with Bergy+Krejci, it’s their playoffs spot to lose.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Jacobs knows how painful the Red Wings rebuild has been as he controls retail and concessions at their new arena and he also controls the Sabres operation.

I honestly believe Sweeney fired Cassidy knowing that Bruce would be hired very quickly by another team and in some way did Bruce a favor.
Right?

Feels like he made it pretty clear in the presser earlier this week, he's VERY HAPPY that the seats are full.
Hence, the directive is obvious:
Keep the thing afloat at all costs. Stay relevant in this sports market. Do whatever it takes to remain "competitive". OR ELSE.

Babajingo

1657808517384.png

Yup.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
They were the 3rd best team in the league after January 1. They're adding Krejci and Lindholm for a whole season. Marchand will be back by Halloween, missing just 9 games.

Montgomery will have them competing for the division title.

• Haha
Reactions: 13Hockey and Estlin

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
The closest team to catching the Bruins points-wise was 23 points back.

That team fired the coach who miraculously held that shit pile of a roster together, more often than not.

I am not terribly concerned.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
They were the 3rd best team in the league after January 1. They're adding Krejci and Lindholm for a whole season. Marchand will be back by Halloween, missing just 9 games.

Montgomery will have them competing for the division title.
That's wishful thinking while wearing pink glasses and holding a pitcher of kool-aid.

The closest team to catching the Bruins points-wise was 23 points back.

That team fired the coach who miraculously held that shit pile of a roster together, more often than not.

I am not terribly concerned.
Things have changed, teams have improved, the Conference as improved.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Likely the same as last year. They should get in as a bottom seed and will lose first round. Although I’m less confident they make it this year than I was last year.

Last year it was obvious that they’d get in but not win a round because they didn’t have a 2C. But now even if Bergeron and Krejci return I still don’t think they’ll win a round if they even get in because everyone has just aged another year and the East has gotten even better.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Likely the same as last year. They should get in as a bottom seed and will lose first round. Although I’m less confident they make it this year than I was last year.

Last year it was obvious that they’d get in but not win a round because they didn’t have a 2C. But now even if Bergeron and Krejci return I still don’t think they’ll win a round if they even get in because everyone has just aged another year and the East has gotten even better.
Drawing Carolina was the worst matchup for the Bruins last year. If they had fallen to WC2 and faced Florida they might have advanced and the same applies to if they had moved to A3 and faced Toronto.

Babajingo

They won't finish top 3, that's for sure. That leaves the wild cards. They are lucky that the Metro is pretty weak after NYR and CAR. The big variable is how long McAvoy will be out. Without him, that D is rough. Let's hope Swayman and Ullmark are up to the test.

Reactions: Gordoff

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I posted this a few days ago in the Bruins schedule thread and will repost it here.

assuming Bergeron & Krejci are in the lineup and overall team health. Month by month team record based only on wins/loses not overtime/shoot outs. To optimistic?

Oct 7 2
Nov 7 6
Dec 9 5
Jan 9 5
Feb 5 5
Mar 10 5
April 4 3

Total W51 L31 102 points (+/- 6 points)

A number of teams in the east went belly up early last year. The gap of 23 points between playoff and non-playoff teams is a lot to make up but it is possible. A lot can change between now and the playoffs next season. It will be interesting to see what the Bruins lineup looks like in October compared to the line up come March.
Finishing somewhere within a point range of 96 - 108 and they should be in the playoffs. What they do once they get there is another story.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
NOOO this team is laughable. I really don't understand what Sweeney is doing... Should have blown it up this year and start over. Even IF DK Came back they're to old and slow. Bottom 6 is awful... Who knows what marchand will be like after his surgery, he relies on his lower body so much. Teams are getting younger, faster and more skilled.
We're just aging HOPING JJ gets his first round exit... But they won't even get that

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad