Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You need to rewatch the hit. Arbers two feet are on the ice at contact.
I remember the NHL talking about potentially doing something about these types of hits where the player starts to propel themselves upwards but times everything so that they haven't left their feet at the time of the impact, which is what Xhekaj did. But I don't remember what if anything came of it, probably nothing.

In any case, the hit wasn't any more dirty then Pare or Greig plays but with the ways refs try to "manage" games instead of just having a consistent standard that they stick to Xhekaj is pretty much always going to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the refs/supplemental discipline unless he finds a way to become an allstar calibre player because once you get that label you can commit dirty plays again with minimal reprecussions.

I have no issue with Xhekaj retaliating like this because as a team to do nothing is worse. That said if he can work on things so that he crushes people without as overtly stepping over the line that would be best.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Struble has jumped him as of now. I still have Xhekaj as our 7th defencemen though.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Struble - Barron
Xhekaj

Sadly, Mailloux needs more time in Laval. First call up though.
I agree, Struble is the better d-man right now. I love what he Xhekaj brings but he can't be in your top 6 d-men. He now has a rep with the refs and like last night will not get the benefit of the doubt. You can't have a d-man taking 5 min penalties and getting tossed from the game, even if you manage to kill the penalties you are still playing the rest of the game with 5 D. That will lead to lost points in the standings. If the team is serious about being "in the mix" I don't think Arber can be one of your top 6 D.

Fast forward to game 1 against the leafs, now assume Arber and Reaves have a scrap. The ref decides he is nipping this in the bud and gives each guy 5 for fighting and a 10 Min Misconduct. who wins that exchange? the team with a 4th line plug in the box for a period or the team who has to play a period with 5 d men.

Unless you plan to dress 7 d and someone takes shifts on 4th line I don't see it working. If Arber wants a long NHL career he may have to become a winger- not sure he has ever played F.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
I agree, Struble is the better d-man right now. I love what he Xhekaj brings but he can't be in your top 6 d-men. He now has a rep with the refs and like last night will not get the benefit of the doubt. You can't have a d-man taking 5 min penalties and getting tossed from the game, even if you manage to kill the penalties you are still playing the rest of the game with 5 D. That will lead to lost points in the standings. If the team is serious about being "in the mix" I don't think Arber can be one of your top 6 D.

Fast forward to game 1 against the leafs, now assume Arber and Reaves have a scrap. The ref decides he is nipping this in the bud and gives each guy 5 for fighting and a 10 Min Misconduct. who wins that exchange? the team with a 4th line plug in the box for a period or the team who has to play a period with 5 d men.

Unless you plan to dress 7 d and someone takes shifts on 4th line I don't see it working. If Arber wants a long NHL career he may have to become a winger- not sure he has ever played F.
Just who is going to get in Reaves way if he wants to act like a clown? No one.

There is no one in his league on the habs other than Wifi.

This idea that this is the norm from him is crazy. It was two cases of teams taking cheap shots on one of the habs best players.

A winger, that just non-sense. I do agree he has to work on his game to be a better D.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
God I hope MSL and co don’t try to discourage Wifi from playing on the edge.

Both the Pare and Greig hits, all four other Habs on the ice just skated around and did nothing. MSL talks about pack mentality, this team has none. Panthers and Bruins all guys would have jumped him.

This team is so poorly constructed that Wifi is the teams only toughness. And Pezz, but he to be honest isn’t good at it.

Its Wifi, and Pezz, that’s it.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I’d like to see Hugo get Mathieu Olivier from the jackets. He be great on the 4th line and take a lot of pressure of Wifi.

If Wifi didn’t have to do it all, he could then focus more on his game.

Its got to be tough when your the only one who is expected to answer the bell.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
God I hope MSL and co don’t try to discourage Wifi from playing on the edge.

Both the Pare and Greig hits, all four other Habs on the ice just skated around and did nothing. MSL talks about pack mentality, this team has none. Panthers and Bruins all guys would have jumped him.

This team is so poorly constructed that Wifi is the teams only toughness. And Pezz, but he to be honest isn’t good at it.

Its Wifi, and Pezz, that’s it.
Anderson can bring some when he want but they're is something of with him. The guy just doesn't care anymore. Tuch, imo, was a disapointment last game. He was a ghost. He's a big boy and will hit a bit but he doesn't seem to have mutch nastiness in him.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Arber is not a goon, give me a break. He has the potential to be a very good and productive defenseman, who can also beat you silly if you look at his hamburger the wrong way.

GMs would be lining up to acquire him if he was on the market. He's not a dirty player. Two times he was called upon to do the dirty work by his team and coach, and both times he stepped up. His place is secure in Valhalla.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure why this says you replied to me, cause I see nothing here.
Sometimes it glitches I think
I’d like to see Hugo get Mathieu Olivier from the jackets. He be great on the 4th line and take a lot of pressure of Wifi.

If Wifi didn’t have to do it all, he could then focus more on his game.

Its got to be tough when your the only one who is expected to answer the bell.
Olivier wouldn't be cheap.

Habs had a chance to get some toughness and players that could be with the team for a few years and didn't really pursue that.

Flyers likely don't want to deal Deslauriers. Cbus likely doesn't want to deal Olivier to help look after their young players.

Ross Johnston, who isn't that good of a player is the best bet and I think he's ufa, so it would look more desperate than a trade.

Reactions: Natey

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Micheal Andlauer when he was still happy ( before buying the Sens )

1000009008.jpg

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
This is where you dress him against the sens and they start targeting the big tough guy which is exactly what you want instead of him chasing. Or they chill out either way it’s a win.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad