Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Buddy I just came back from a muay thai camp in thailand.

Greig should get the exact same punishment yes.

Like Dach said, it's not even close to a hockey play.
Tkachuk jumping Xhekaj could be argued as intent to injure and it's not a hockey play. Struble's hit on Greig was late and very likely had intent to injure or send a message. I just think it's a slippery slope to suspend a guy of perceived intent.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not arguing it was a clean hit. He deserved the penalty 100% and I understand why the refs tossed him from the game. But calling for a suspension for a play like that is foolish. By that logic I could argue all of Tkachuk, Xhekaj, Greig and Struble all deserve to be suspended because they all made plays that could have possibly had intent to injure.
It’s not a suspension, agreed.

If it was a headshot then it would have been a match penalty and would have landed on Gary’s desk. At first it looked that way with the chicken wing, but the replay showed otherwise. Instead, Interference and a game misconduct for it resulting in injury.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
When you lose a top 6 guy to a dirty play for half a season the previous game, then nearly lose another top 6 guy to a headshot in the current game then there's an argument that vigilante justice is needed.
Cedric Paré is a nobody. End of story.

I didn't like the Grieg hit, but the Xhekaj hit was a terrible play, all-around. Habs had the momentum and it turned on that play. Plus it looked like a cheap shot to me. Mind you, I think Stutzle is like the biggest diver in hockey, so hard to tell. But whatever. Point is, Xhekaj keeps getting played. If you're up 2-0, lots of players on the other team will want to start something. Xhekaj doesn't pick his spots. What's he gonna do, go crazy after every borderline hit that gets made against the Habs? He'll never be on the ice. And a player in the dressing room isn't much of a deterrent.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
If you're up 2-0, lots of players on the other team will want to start something. Xhekaj doesn't pick his spots. What's he gonna do, go crazy after every borderline hit that gets made against the Habs? He'll never be on the ice. And a player in the dressing isn't much of a deterrent.
Obviously I wouldn't expect a response like that for every borderline hit. But for 2 very reckless plays targeting our top 6 I'm all for him showing a bit of pushback.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

"Obviously, there’s no intent to injure, there’s no intent to hurt anybody, but he’s a protector,” said Caufield of Xhekaj. “He’s a guy that you want on your team, that everybody respects, and I know he’s respected around the league. He’s physical, and he brings a lot of other things too. There’s right and wrong ways to go about it, but at the end of the day he’s fighting for one of us and he’s always ready to go to war for whatever happens. And I think that’s the way he was raised, it’s the way he was brought up — he always takes care of the people who take care of him. It’s nice to have a guy like that on your team that will do anything for you. It’s rare to have someone who will do it as consistently.

“I think we stand up for one another, but he’s the best example of that.”

"I think that actions speak louder than words most of the time,” said captain Nick Suzuki. “Sticking up for each other is showing that everyone’s on the same level and that if one guy’s going to be gone after we’re all going to stick up for each other. It shows that we’ve got a tight group.”

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I'd argue that the lack of offense and defense are holding the team back more.

I'm from the old school where the offense opens up with a good forecheck and open ice , created by bigger heavier teams etc. Also allows for a more effective dump&Chase, which we used to attempt for decades and the little smurfs get pounded, yet we can't get the puck back.

We can't even cycle the puck well, and our even strength suffers because we can't create much space either. When is the last time we wore a team down or could compete physically? I'd suggest our little magical cup run, we had some decent size with Staal, Perry etc. In 93 we had an enormous team on our depth lines, we could play any style you wanted. Thinking about taking some liberties? Answer to a half dozen gorillas that would come at you just the same.

We are still a 2 line team, I believe we rebuild even faster by beefing up the bottom lines to create more space and opportunities. I do not like this drop pass or the current system, on ANY team. Giving the puck to your a guy and saying 'now go over this wall at full speed' is not a great plan.

I don't even know what the plan is or the ideal team is from management. All I know is the Rangers were being pushed around a fair amount when JG was there, and it turned around fast when he left. Hockey hasn't changed a lot in 100 years, it's just very very fast now and the clutch and grab is long gone. I don't want to be an easy team to play against, I want our young start forwards taken care of. I 100% agree our Offense and Defense are holding the team back as well

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I don't even know what the plan is or the ideal team is from management. All I know is the Rangers were being pushed around a fair amount when JG was there, and it turned around fast when he left. Hockey hasn't changed a lot in 100 years, it's just very very fast now and the clutch and grab is long gone. I don't want to be an easy team to play against, I want our young start forwards taken care of. I 100% agree our Offense and Defense are holding the team back as well
It doesn't matter what the Rangers did, especially when Gorton isn't building the team here. Not sure why people keep bringing this up. Hughes is the builder and has no issues with bringing in players with grit and size. They'll get implemented as we move forward and certain contracts go away.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm from the old school where the offense opens up with a good forecheck and open ice , created by bigger heavier teams etc. Also allows for a more effective dump&Chase, which we used to attempt for decades and the little smurfs get pounded, yet we can't get the puck back.

We can't even cycle the puck well, and our even strength suffers because we can't create much space either. When is the last time we wore a team down or could compete physically? I'd suggest our little magical cup run, we had some decent size with Staal, Perry etc. In 93 we had an enormous team on our depth lines, we could play any style you wanted. Thinking about taking some liberties? Answer to a half dozen gorillas that would come at you just the same.

We are still a 2 line team, I believe we rebuild even faster by beefing up the bottom lines to create more space and opportunities. I do not like this drop pass or the current system, on ANY team. Giving the puck to your a guy and saying 'now go over this wall at full speed' is not a great plan.

That still has nothing to do with the bottom 6, that's a complaint about the top-6. Having more grit in the bottom 6 doesn't help create space for players they're not on the ice with. Having Slafkovsky and a healthy Dach does. So does playing Anderson higher in the lineup than he should or is actually beneficial for Montreal.

Nor has management not recognized that. They inherited the worst team in the NHL with highest payroll in the NHL. They've been cleaning the capsheet while trying to accrue players who fit the age timeline of who was there. Of what the projected top 6 was, all of the players with size (and some fight) were acquired by the current management group. But part of rebuilding is tearing down what was there and it takes time to clear out the Burj Khalifa of shit.

Montreal lacks depth when fully healthy and they've been farther from fully healthy than any team in the NHL. It takes time.

Reactions: Deebs

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
The l'antichambre panel from last night has got to feel real stupid now with all the bs they were spouting about Xhekaj

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
The l'antichambre panel from last night has got to feel real stupid now with all the bs they were spouting about Xhekaj
I didn't see or hear about it but could you give a quick coles notes synopsis of what took place?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tkachuk jumping Xhekaj could be argued as intent to injure and it's not a hockey play. Struble's hit on Greig was late and very likely had intent to injure or send a message. I just think it's a slippery slope to suspend a guy of perceived intent.
Nah, theres a huge difference between a 40 kmh dead stop and what ever Brady tried to do.

As for Struble, thats where the slippery slopes starts. Yes it was retaliatory, interference, etc. But where I have less trouble with the hit is because Struble was already engaged on the hit when Greig let go of the puck, meanwhile AX took a whole second to engage after the puck left Stutzles stick.

Also, thats harder to judge but Xhekaj def jumped very hard in the hit, Struble stopped him in a classic manner.

I just don't like those late retaliation hit where the sole purpose is injury or intimidation and on top of that I don't like the cross-ice leap into the blind-side, type of hit. I see one as dangerous and reckless and the other as more of a hockey play.

On Greigs hit, I see it as a lesser hit than Xhekaj solely because it wasn't a clear case of interfence and because he didn't leap into the hit. With that said, it is worse than Strubles because he's the 2nd man in IMO.

Or maybe it's just that blind side hits are just very, very reckless.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
There’s no respect by the officials towards the players. It’s so obvious to any ardent fan they are well below any standard set by the average pro sports league across the globe except Russian figure skating judges.

Someone will clean that crap up eventually. For now, the sheriffs of the league have to police the game while officials are busy powertripping.

Like prison.

Reactions: overlords

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I didn't see or hear about it but could you give a quick coles notes synopsis of what took place?
They were saying how Xhekaj is hurting the team with bad decisions (who cares it's preseason), that he's gonna get suspended and hurt the team even more because the first games are against Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, and just that they weren't happy with his decisions. I think it's more so the fact that they were dragging him throughout pretty much the WHOLE show, almost as if they were trying to run him out of town or something. The worst imo was Flynn. He was straight glazing Tkachuk up and down for jumping Xhekaj, but out of the same breath was telling Xhekaj to tone it down because he didn't like the Pare incident, just ridiculous.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I may be old school, but part of the code, and you'll hear Nilan talk about this, was that "if you go after our top guys, we'll go after your top guys."

This is the only deterrent I can think of in a league that is increasingly trying to take out fighting and where cheapshots and intent to injure still run rampant.

I get that an eye for an eye makes everyone blind, but hopefully the prospect of losing an eye will deter some of the poking that's been going on against us for a very long time. We need more players like Arber. Not fewer.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Yes, but then you have to be okay with the return of the pendulum. When it happens to our players because a dirty hit was done by a Hab, we better not whine like the Sens are doing, thats such a bad look.

There's no conspiracy against the Habs, it's gonna happen both ways.
I'm not advocating for anyone on the Habs to initiate dirty plays, but I do believe there should be an equal response when dirty hits happen to our players and the refs stand around with their thumbs up their asses. That’s exactly what I think X did last night – he didn’t start it, but he finished it. If X had taken a run at Stutzle before Greig pulled his nonsense on Dach, I’d be the first to call him out, just like I was when Gallagher blindsided Pelech. At least with Gallagher, the refs made the right call and tossed him. Had they done the same with Greig, it could have ended there, aside from a few hard but clean checks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not advocating for anyone on the Habs to initiate dirty plays, but I do believe there should be an equal response when dirty hits happen to our players and the refs stand around with their thumbs up their asses. That’s exactly what I think X did last night – he didn’t start it, but he finished it. If X had taken a run at Stutzle before Greig pulled his nonsense on Dach, I’d be the first to call him out, just like I was when Gallagher blindsided Pelech. At least with Gallagher, the refs made the right call and tossed him. Had they done the same with Greig, it could have ended there, aside from a few hard but clean checks.
Me too. Force him to drop em like Dach did, or hit him hard anywhere.

Just don't try to end a career, that's the limit I draw. Even Strubles hit was a beautiful one IMO.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Yes. Dach said it himself, its not a hockey play. We can't have it both ways, we'll just look like f***ing clowns. I'd hate to look like a Sens fan or a Bruins fan they look so f***ing stupid most of the time, lets not be them.

That's a pretty big stretch youre making. That wasn't just interference, that was, I am crossing the whole rink at full speed and have only one intent, and interference.

The problem is that you can be charged with attempted murder if you miss while shooting your gun. It's the same principle. It's not because he missed or there was no injury, or no contact to the head that it wasn't stupid and predatory.

He tried his best.

Well the actual rule is "separating" a player from the puck, so no, not every hit is looking to hurt someone.

I'm also probably the biggest fan of physical hockey in the world, heck, I have endured more punishment and given out more punishment than you'll ever do in the last month alone, as I practice sports that are rooted in violence. With that said, we can't just be this emotional and be angry about the Greig hit and excuse Xhekaj. They are the same hit.
Except attempted murder is a separate charge from murder. It’s one of the the few charge where the attempt is also illegal. There’s no such thing as attempted dangerous body check. Furthermore article 60.1 of the NHL states that « Players must be in control and responsible for their sticks. » If Stutzle played his stick near the ice instead of up towards the ceiling, neither he nor anyone else would have gotten hurt.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
That how you gonna get Hutson decapitated.
If someone go and try to head hunt Hutson for no reason that is on them not on Xhekaj…
The only reason this happen is that Grieg did something that might be worst even if it doesn’t look that way and didn’t answer the bell… Also it look horrible and it is a illegal hit but there no contact to the head (regardless of intention) now going FW if someone think about doing something a dirty hit they know they have to take responsibility if they don’t it we double it and give it to the next guy. Now they think twice about doing anything something that is border line.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Except attempted murder is a separate charge from murder. It’s one of the the few charge where the attempt is also illegal. There’s no such thing as attempted dangerous body check. Furthermore article 60.1 of the NHL states that « Players must be in control and responsible for their sticks. » If Stutzle played his stick near the ice instead of up towards the ceiling, neither he nor anyone else would have gotten hurt.
Im arguing it should be illegal.

I don't care about the results, only intent. Reckless hitting shouldn't be in the NHL.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Im arguing it should be illegal.

I don't care about the results, only intent. Reckless hitting shouldn't be in the NHL.
The league can't even manage to properly enforce the rules that are black and white, I can't imagine the shit show the league would become if they start trying to enforce the intent behind hits.

Reactions: Trabdy2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad