Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You kind of need to have seen Odelein plays to understand. Statistically he was nothing special. But man he was a special player. Loved him a lot.
Yes I agree, I loved him as a hab. In the same way I liked McPhee, Skrudland, Keane and others. There is more to a hockey game than appears on the scoreboard. If we want a good group with long-term success, we need guys that go to war for their brothers. Talent alone is not enough, see Toronto.

Yeah, rough game yesterday.. in ways he might have been the worst of the guys playing yesterday. Engstrom had the bigger gaffe but overall felt Xhekaj struggled a bit.

But pre-season isn't really where he's most effective.
I agree with this. He isn't exactly the type of guy that rises to the occasion in a game of preseason shinny.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yes I agree, I loved him as a hab. In the same way I liked McPhee, Skrudland, Keane and others. There is more to a hockey game than appears on the scoreboard. If we want a good group with long-term success, we need guys that go to war for their brothers. Talent alone is not enough, see Toronto.

I agree with this. He isn't exactly the type of guy that rises to the occasion in a game of preseason shinny.
Montreal would do well to keep players like Xhekaj and Barron on their strong sides.
When they start interchanging in the Dzone things get dicey.
When they were paired together they stayed put and were fairly efficient.
Neither is equipped to play with Hutson who will leave his partner in tight quarters on occasion.

Reactions: OldCraig71

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

You need guys with natural grit and who fight through the pain. Toughness isn't just about banging and fighting. A non physical guy who grins and bares it through pain and contributes is also tough. The natural grit guys rub off on other players I'm sure. Though those guys you mention were all trench fighters.

Lol Odelein. He was tough in every way. When I think of him I have a picture of him with his uni messed up coming off a fight with that " psycho" grin of his. Honest that grin had an unhinged vibe to it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We need a top pugilist on the team. The advantages are unfathomable.
I agree. Here is a question- Nicholas Deslaurier was drafted as a D and made a career as a 4th line heavyweight...should this be considered for Xhekaj? He may not be one of the best top 6 D longterm...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I agree. Here is a question- Nicholas Deslaurier was drafted as a D and made a career as a 4th line heavyweight...should this be considered for Xhekaj? He may not be one of the best top 6 D longterm...

Xhekaj still has time to become more seasoned defensively.

He's 23 years old. Defensemen, especially non-prodigies and non-offensive ones, peak later. Late-20s early 30s. This is when we'll need him the most.

I would be very patient and cautious about departing with him from the team.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Xhekaj still has time to become more seasoned defensively.

He's 23 years old. Defensemen, especially non-prodigies and non-offensive ones, peak later. Late-20s early 30s. This is when we'll need him the most.

I would be very patient and cautious about departing with him from the team.
Yeah I tend to agree with you with this view. Like I said I am a huge fan of this kid!

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Its a preseason game
It was an irrelevant shove that got us a PP.

People are making a mountain of a mole hill here. That wasn't anything.

I’m not necessary talking about going to fight him, but just send a message and go after him after a whistle. That’s Xhekaj role and the reason he makes the teams before Struble or Harris.

I just find that he’s taking it easy during this camp like if he’s place was already won (and not just because of that, but his play in general)

Reactions: Mrb1p

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m not necessary talking about going to fight him, but just send a message and go after him after a whistle. That’s Xhekaj role and the reason he makes the teams before Struble or Harris.

I just find that he’s taking it easy during this camp like if he’s place was already won (and not just because of that, but his play in general)

Telling Domi he's a f***ing idiot and keep costing his team playoff games with dumb penalties like that is all that is required

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I am a huge fan of this player but he has to start showing more very soon. I think Struble is currently better defensively.
He has a two year window to get his game in order. He does have lots of work to do but here's hoping.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

this is a great article about him from Godin. He's being asked to refine his defensive game and not run around enforcing during exhibition games

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad