Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The situation is bizarre.

I can only imagine that he either A) Simply didn't like American culture, or B) He was upset about the Fedotov signing, because it blocks his path to the NHL.

Reactions: Hexy4 and renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere is also smart enough to trade Kolosov away when he was being touted as a future #1 by both him and Jones as recently as a few months ago, (and who may well become the next Bobrovsky), trade him for 2nd or 3rd rounder, who he will then let Flahr draft another Mateo Mann with.
When was he touted as a future #1?

He was in the mix with Zavragin and Bjarnason, the fact that they took Zavragin suggests they didn't see Kolosov as a sure thing.

Kolosov has been solid but not special so far in the KHL.

Sv% .912 (Shostak .909), .907 (Ferguson .904) last two seasons for Minsk.
Hasn't clearly outplayed his backup either season.
Has played better in playoffs, .922 Sv% in 9 games.

Certainly a legitimate prospect, but right now they don't know even know if he's good enough to backup in the NHL, much less start.

So forget they thought he was a future #1 nonsense.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Briere is smart enough not to bid against himself, i.e., always start with a price that's too high and let potential trade partners make counter offers.
Good stuff.

The situation is bizarre.

I can only imagine that he either A) Simply didn't like American culture, or B) He was upset about the Fedotov signing, because it blocks his path to the NHL.
Or he was promised something that didn't happen. Or he is a baby and expects a job handed to him.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
When was he touted as a future #1?

He was in the mix with Zavragin and Bjarnason, the fact that they took Zavragin suggests they didn't see Kolosov as a sure thing.

Kolosov has been solid but not special so far in the KHL.

Sv% .912 (Shostak .909), .907 (Ferguson .904) last two seasons for Minsk.
Hasn't clearly outplayed his backup either season.
Has played better in playoffs, .922 Sv% in 9 games.

Certainly a legitimate prospect, but right now they don't know even know if he's good enough to backup in the NHL, much less start.

So forget they thought he was a future #1 nonsense.
False as teams' draft goalies every year as it is such a volatile role. Who they took just means they are trying to cover all the bases which is fine. Never have enough.

They hyped this kid up for a full year. To deny that is wrong. If he is traded can't wait to hear the spin coming from the 3 stooges.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I was excited about Kolosov because he made the KHL so young.

I had hopes of another Varlamov.

That said, his most recent KHL season was disappointing:

Only a .907 save % in his 21 yr old season, which was a step back from his pedestrian ,912 the season prior.

Then he comes over and has an .885 save % in two AHL games.

Didn't play well in two international games.

Now he pulls this move about not reporting to camp while he's under contract.

The luster is coming off.

Not to mention he's only 6'0"

This isn't the end of the world here, especially with Bjarnason and Zavragin in the system.

Reactions: Hexy4

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I was excited about Kolosov because he made the KHL so young.

I had hopes of another Varlamov.

That said, his most recent KHL season was disappointing:

Only a .907 save % in his 21 yr old season, which was a step back from his pedestrian ,912 the season prior.

Then he comes over and has an .885 save % in two AHL games.

Didn't play well in two international games.

Now he pulls this move about not reporting to camp while he's under contract.

The luster is coming off.

Not to mention he's only 6'0"

This isn't the end of the world here, especially with Bjarnason and Zavragin in the system.
Stats don't always tell the true story with goalies. Unless your there it is hard to just look at the raw numbers as no idea what he is going up against game after game.

Agree it isn't though those other 2 are just huge question marks as well. I do not think Carson will be an NHL goalie.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Stats don't always tell the true story with goalies. Unless your there it is hard to just look at the raw numbers as no idea what he is going up against game after game.

Agree it isn't though those other 2 are just huge question marks as well. I do not think Carson will be an NHL goalie.
Sometimes stats don't tell the full story with goalies, but nevertheless it disappointed me that he was 30-something in the KHL in save % the last two seasons.

Not the greatest sign for someone I was hoping could be a legit #1 in the NHL.

Granted, he's still young, and sometimes goalies take a while to reach their potential.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Ian Laperriere today said Kolosov's Phantoms' teammates invited him to dinner multiple times, but he always said no.

It's also been reported that Kolosov requested not having a roommate, so they put him up at a 5-star hotel.

Sounds like he's a shy, introverted loner who barely spoke English and didn't really want to try to adapt to the new environment.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
sounds like, just with Cutter, that we do not have all the info and are just guessing
What other info on Cutter is needed? He should have been signed as soon as his freshman season was over, the Flyers messed up.

Ian Laperriere today said Kolosov's Phantoms' teammates invited him to dinner multiple times, but he always said no.

It's also been reported that Kolosov requested not having a roommate, so they put him up at a 5-star hotel.

Sounds like he's a shy, introverted loner who barely spoke English and didn't really want to try to adapt to the new environment.
Is this the start of damage control?

If that is the case, then not much the Flyers can do. Whole thing will always have questions unanswered.

Reactions: BernieParent

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

All of these tidbits the team is drip feeding us don't put together a cohesive narrative for me. I'm not saying they are lying or covering their asses to make this situation out to be the player's fault, but all of the stuff they have put out sort of have a "How to Control the Narrative: 101" vibe that I keep feeling.

Without hearing from Kolosov's side, we'll probably never know exactly what happened or why, but it is interesting that the Flyers are coming out and revealing information that would normally stay private. They really want us to know they are in no way at fault for a player not wanting to play here, and in a similar way that the Gauthier spin started to leak out last year.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It's hard to get good data, which is why I compared him to his backup goalie, usually you'd expect a substantial performance difference playing on the same team.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What other info on Cutter is needed? He should have been signed as soon as his freshman season was over, the Flyers messed up.

Is this the start of damage control?

If that is the case, then not much the Flyers can do. Whole thing will always have questions unanswered.
Could be damage control, but that implies it's not true, and it could very well be the truth.

I mean, the first stories we heard, coming out of Russia, were that Kolosov was "homesick" during his brief stint in the US.

It wouldn't be the first time a young person from a foreign country got homesick or decided they wanted to return to their native country.

And we know the subsequent Twitter spin that the Flyers treated him poorly was BS. They set him up at a 5-star hotel right next to the practice facility, apparently at his request.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It's hard to get good data, which is why I compared him to his backup goalie, usually you'd expect a substantial performance difference playing on the same team.
Myself I have no idea what he projects to be. Flyers clearly liked him a lot and talked him up. It does throw a little wrench into their plans. They have no prospect goalie now who is close to NHL ready.

Could be damage control, but that implies it's not true, and it could very well be the truth.

I mean, the first stories we heard, coming out of Russia, were that Kolosov was "homesick" during his brief stint in the US.

It wouldn't be the first time a young person from a foreign country got homesick or decided they wanted to return to their native country.

And we know the subsequent Twitter spin that the Flyers treated him poorly was BS. They set him up at a 5-star hotel right next to the practice facility, apparently at his request.
The Flyers however do not get the benefit of the doubt any longer.

There is no such thing as a 5 star hotel in LHV!!!! I do not know how they treated him as Kolosov hasn't said a peep. I would assume they didn't treat him bad however. Would be flat out dumb.

Also, they had to know they were also bringing over Ivan at some point. Was that relayed to Kolosov? Assuming that is part of why he doesn't wan to report.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myself I have no idea what he projects to be. Flyers clearly liked him a lot and talked him up. It does throw a little wrench into their plans. They have no prospect goalie now who is close to NHL ready.
Not really, they have Ersson and Fedotov the next two years.
Zavragin has two more years on his KHL contract after this season.
Bjarnason will be in AHL next season.

They would like to have Kolosov come over, but it's not a make or break deal.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Ersson is the best goalie to come out of Sweden in a few years. Kolosov is not going to take his spot on the roster. Kolosov knows how good Fedotov is so that puts him in third place for the next two seasons at least. By then Zavragin is going to be competing for a place in Philly. Let's face it, Kolosov didn't see a future here in Philly and wants out in order to go to a place with less competition.
It's pretty much the same situation with Gauthier. He'd have a difficult time cracking the Flyerss top two lines at wing. He can't handle center ice so he got what he wanted, another less competitive place to play.
Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. Many of these young guys have been pampered and expect to get top ice time immediately. Michkov will get that because he's a potential generational talent. Gauthier and Kolosov are far from that.

Reactions: TBS and Jettany

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Not really, they have Ersson and Fedotov the next two years.
Zavragin has two more years on his KHL contract after this season.
Bjarnason will be in AHL next season.

They would like to have Kolosov come over, but it's not a make or break deal.
Yes, really as those 2 are no sure things by any means.

As I said they have no prospects who are close to NHL ready. Not sure how one can disagree.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ersson is the best goalie to come out of Sweden in a few years. Kolosov is not going to take his spot on the roster. Kolosov knows how good Fedotov is so that puts him in third place for the next two seasons at least. By then Zavragin is going to be competing for a place in Philly. Let's face it, Kolosov didn't see a future here in Philly and wants out in order to go to a place with less competition.
It's pretty much the same situation with Gauthier. He'd have a difficult time cracking the Flyerss top two lines at wing. He can't handle center ice so he got what he wanted, another less competitive place to play.
Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. Many of these young guys have been pampered and expect to get top ice time immediately. Michkov will get that because he's a potential generational talent. Gauthier and Kolosov are far from that.
So, by 26/27 Zavragin will be competing for a spot on the Flyers? I will take that bet.

Right answer was to sign Cutter as soon as his freshman season ended.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gauthier would have had a shot at 2LW. Farabee 1LW, but Tippett/Foerster are RWs playing LW, so he would have moved them down or to the right side. If he signs, maybe they package a wing in a deal for a center. Who knows?

But we don't really know what happened, maybe Gauthier wanted to play center, and it took a 2nd year of college before reality set in that he was a goal scoring wing at the NHL level. Maybe he wanted to play on the West Coast to be closer to his family (from Arizona).

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Gauthier would have had a shot at 2LW. Farabee 1LW, but Tippett/Foerster are RWs playing LW, so he would have moved them down or to the right side. If he signs, maybe they package a wing in a deal for a center. Who knows?

But we don't really know what happened, maybe Gauthier wanted to play center, and it took a 2nd year of college before reality set in that he was a goal scoring wing at the NHL level. Maybe he wanted to play on the West Coast to be closer to his family (from Arizona).
Or maybe the Flyers messed up. That is possible, no?

Funny how you keep pushing this west coast narrative.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
So, by 26/27 Zavragin will be competing for a spot on the Flyers? I will take that bet.

Right answer was to sign Cutter as soon as his freshman season ended.
We shall see. The door is open for him to be the top goalie in LHV by then and be the first call up if Ersson or Feds gets hurt.
If DB signed Gauthier where was he going to play? He preferred LW not center. He knew that he is not a center from his play in college. Even if DB wanted to move him to center, where would have it been better to groom him for that position?- the NHL, where he would have been embarrassed and Torts would have crushed him. The AHL, where the Flyers haven't developed a center in forever. In college, where he would have been a better fit age and talent wise and could have learned the position in a low key situation with good instruction. Gauithier opted for option four-get out of Philly. That''s fine. Hope that he enjoys playing wing in Anaheim on a terrible team.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
We shall see. The door is open for him to be the top goalie in LHV by then and be the first call up if Ersson or Feds gets hurt.
If DB signed Gauthier where was he going to play? He preferred LW not center. He knew that he is not a center from his play in college. Even if DB wanted to move him to center, where would have it been better to groom him for that position?- the NHL, where he would have been embarrassed and Torts would have crushed him. The AHL, where the Flyers haven't developed a center in forever. In college, where he would have been a better fit age and talent wise and could have learned the position in a low key situation with good instruction. Gauithier opted for option four-get out of Philly. That''s fine. Hope that he enjoys playing wing in Anaheim on a terrible team.
They will contend before the Flyers. Imagine passing up playing for the Flyers. What a sin.

Where would he play? You find a spot as it is that simple. He was your 5th overall pick, a future cornerstone. Flyers blew it. Why is that so hard to say for some?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They will contend before the Flyers. Imagine passing up playing for the Flyers. What a sin.

Where would he play? You find a spot as it is that simple. He was your 5th overall pick, a future cornerstone. Flyers blew it. Why is that so hard to say for some?
You presume a level of control that wasn't there.
We don't know why he wouldn't sign, everything out there is pure speculation.
The only other option for Briere was to play hardball, let him spend two more years in college if he doesn't want to sign.

He got #6 Drysdale plus a 2nd rd pick in this draft (probably top 40).
We'll see if Drysdale pans out, the talent is there, Shaw can fix his defense, but can he stay healthy?

Reactions: renberg

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
You presume a level of control that wasn't there.
We don't know why he wouldn't sign, everything out there is pure speculation.
The only other option for Briere was to play hardball, let him spend two more years in college if he doesn't want to sign.

He got #6 Drysdale plus a 2nd rd pick in this draft (probably top 40).
We'll see if Drysdale pans out, the talent is there, Shaw can fix his defense, but can he stay healthy?
The Flyers didn't attempt to sign him when his freshman year was over. That cost him money. What I know is the Flyers messed up. He would have signed at that point.

The Shaw is a god status is way over the top. T

They should have waited until the draft to trade him. Nope they wanted an NHL player for the playoff push. YPOu and I both know that is a fact.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
In the 5 video clips I have seen of him, and they were a while ago, he doesn't move the needle for me. He seems to rely a lot on his athleticism, which is well above average, but that will only get you so far. He small and I feel like he'll eventually get exposed at the NHL level, if he ever makes it. If someone offered a 2nd for him, there's no way you say no

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad