Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
How does he adjust by not playing, and not getting off ice support?

There was simply zero reason for Petersen to start over him.
I have no problem with them slow playing him, getting him comfortable at practice, get him in a language class, have him be with the guys - and giving him the reigns this year. I hope that was communicated to him, I'm assuming he was told they want him over and acclimated once the loan was finalized last year. Hard to get him comfortable without a native speaker around.

He already played in like 50+ games for Minsk. Phantoms had the playoffs to play for, no issues from me not throwing a 22 year old who probably is a bit beat after a KHL season that started in early Sept 2023 - into a new situation. There's a good chance he was beat down after his season too, the KHL is a damn grind.

The game is different, sure the Ice is the same now - but the approach to the game in the different leagues can be totally different. Where they shoot from (angles) can be totally different.

Sure I wanted to see more Kolosov, but I don't hate this plan at all.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have no problem with them slow playing him, getting him comfortable at practice, get him in a language class, have him be with the guys - and giving him the reigns this year. I hope that was communicated to him, I'm assuming he was told they want him over and acclimated once the loan was finalized last year. Hard to get him comfortable without a native speaker around.

He already played in like 50+ games for Minsk. Phantoms had the playoffs to play for, no issues from me not throwing a 22 year old who probably is a bit beat after a KHL season that started in early Sept 2023 - into a new situation. There's a good chance he was beat down after his season too, the KHL is a damn grind.

The game is different, sure the Ice is the same now - but the approach to the game in the different leagues can be totally different. Where they shoot from (angles) can be totally different.

Sure I wanted to see more Kolosov, but I don't hate this plan at all.

It wasn't communicated to him, they didn't do that stuff, and they didn't slow play him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ant talked about Kolosov on the new STG podcast

-when he came over, requested he not have a roommate, was put in 5-star hotel that was connected to the building. He had been an apartment complex other players usually stay in.
-floated idea that Kolosov had hoped they would have other Russians on the Phantoms but that was vague
-agent used to be JP Barry. Suspects he switched agents (to Milstein) because he wasn’t happy that JP Barry was agreeing with the Flyers and his explanation of how things work in North America.
-did not come over believing he would be inserted into the NHL.
-Flyers willing to stand their ground because they feel they’re loaded with depth at the position.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think there's a simple reason Flyers will stand their ground, only 2 years left on ELC, and they don't feel they can properly evaluate Kolosov in KHL, especially Minsk. Seeing him out of his comfort zone, in the AHL, would provide a better sense whether he has a NHL future.

Given Bjarnason in LHV next year, and Zavragin a good bet to come over when his KHL contract expires in 2027 when he'll be 22, there's only a 1-2 year window for Kolosov to establish himself. And they're not going to want him to hit his RFA years before they know whether he's a future NHL goalie or just AHL depth.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Ant talked about Kolosov on the new STG podcast

-when he came over, requested he not have a roommate, was put in 5-star hotel that was connected to the building. He had been an apartment complex other players usually stay in.
-floated idea that Kolosov had hoped they would have other Russians on the Phantoms but that was vague
-agent used to be JP Barry. Suspects he switched agents (to Milstein) because he wasn’t happy that JP Barry was agreeing with the Flyers and his explanation of how things work in North America.
-did not come over believing he would be inserted into the NHL.
-Flyers willing to stand their ground because they feel they’re loaded with depth at the position.

Then what in the f*** is going on?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then what in the f*** is going on?
Think it's not that complicated, Kolosov is playing for Minsk, which is his hometown, with family, friends, etc. Doesn't want to leave his cocoon. But that makes it harder to evaluate, b/c part of NHL readiness is dealing with adversity, and for Russia/Belarus, some players can't hack it in NA. Flyers would like to find out before they make a financial commitment when ELC expires.

Reactions: Breeze 44

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Think it's not that complicated, Kolosov is playing for Minsk, which is his hometown, with family, friends, etc. Doesn't want to leave his cocoon. But that makes it harder to evaluate, b/c part of NHL readiness is dealing with adversity, and for Russia/Belarus, some players can't hack it in NA. Flyers would like to find out before they make a financial commitment when ELC expires.
He’s not playing nor signed for Dinamo Minsk.

In fact, they signed another goaltender.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I think there's a simple reason Flyers will stand their ground, only 2 years left on ELC, and they don't feel they can properly evaluate Kolosov in KHL, especially Minsk. Seeing him out of his comfort zone, in the AHL, would provide a better sense whether he has a NHL future.

Given Bjarnason in LHV next year, and Zavragin a good bet to come over when his KHL contract expires in 2027 when he'll be 22, there's only a 1-2 year window for Kolosov to establish himself. And they're not going to want him to hit his RFA years before they know whether he's a future NHL goalie or just AHL depth.
They had a chance to see him in the AHL last year, they just refused to play him

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But his goal was to play for Minsk. No suggestion that he's looking for a job on another KHL team.
But he’s not signed nor playing for Dinamo Minsk. It doesn’t mean they won’t want to, or can’t work out a loan, but they’ve known his intentions and proceeded to block his path.

Problem is if he stays in KHL, burns his ELC, and plays hardball, maybe you get nothing.
He doesn’t burn it unless the Flyers agree to loan him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But he’s not signed nor playing for Dinamo Minsk. It doesn’t mean they won’t want to, or can’t work out a loan, but they’ve known his intentions and proceeded to block his path.

He doesn’t burn it unless the Flyers agree to loan him.
Which is why they won't agree to loan him to Minsk. He'd just spend two more years there, then he might play hardball in his RFA season and try to become a FA.

And there are no reports that he's even talked to another KHL team.

Why would they give up their leverage?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Which is why they won't agree to loan him to Minsk. He'd just spend two more years there, then he might play hardball in his RFA season and try to become a FA.

And there are no reports that he's even talked to another KHL team.

Why would they give up their leverage?
You’re the one who said his ELC would burn. That only happens if they loan him, which we know they don’t want to do.

Criticism of the franchise aside, they are 100% in the right to do exactly what they’re doing. Whatever they did to piss him off, they obviously need to reckon with, but just because the KHL teams can ignore the contract, doesn’t mean they want to either. Russia and Belarus can piss and moan all they want about the IIHF, but they still don’t seem to be warming to the idea because they do actually do want to be back in it and would behoove them to not piss them off.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You’re the one who said his ELC would burn. That only happens if they loan him, which we know they don’t want to do.

Criticism of the franchise aside, they are 100% in the right to do exactly what they’re doing. Whatever they did to piss him off, they obviously need to reckon with, but just because the KHL teams can ignore the contract, doesn’t mean they want to either. Russia and Belarus can piss and moan all they want about the IIHF, but they still don’t seem to be warming to the idea because they do actually do want to be back in it and would behoove them to not piss them off.
That's the point, they already loaned him and burnt one year off his ELC, with the understanding he'd come over this season.

With Fedotov, they had to fish or cut bait, so they gave him a 2 year deal. Worst outcome they eat the 2nd year (with Peterson off the books), best is he beats out Ersson and they have a solid starter who they extend.

With Kolosov, they have the leverage, they don't want to pay real money until they've seen him in NA and can decide if he's in their future plans.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
32 Thoughts, Friedman:

-heard at the draft that there was a problem

-one challenging thing about this story ‘what may be true yesterday may not be true today’

-teams are checking in, Flyers don’t want to trade him but have a price as a 2nd round pick

-the Flyers are viewed as a team that is having success with Russian players coming over, so it’s giving them pause to think that they would have more trouble getting him back over.

so my 2 things are: are other teams having trouble getting Russians to want to come over, and that whatever is circulating, this seems to be an implicit inference that whatever happened at the end of the season has more to do with the player than the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it depends on the tier of Russian.
Michkov and Fedotov came over for NHL jobs and salaries.

Russian players probably don't want to play in the AHL, but teams don't want to guarantee NHL salaries and roster spots for players who are marginal or years away.

While it's easy to project top guys, teams don't know how to project second tier talents coming off good but not great KHL seasons.

When you could keep their rights indefinitely, made sense to draft Russians later in the draft and see how they develop, then bring them over at 24-25 years old after a strong track record in the KHL.

But if you have to sign them to an ELC and make a decision at 20-22 off KHL performance to pay them NHL money and bring them over - much higher risk. And not sure I want to send scouts to Russia for close look in today's environment unless they're Russian and well connected.

Compare to CHL, draft them, slide the ELC, then send them to AHL on two way deal, limited risk for team before signing them to RFA year deal. Or college, where second tier talents tend to come out as juniors at 21-22, signing an ELC. Again, years to evaluate before you have to pay.

Last edited:

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
Friedman says team have checked in on Kolosov. Asking price is a 2nd round pick and teams are trying to figure out if he would report to them. Can’t imagine we got a 2nd for this guy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Friedman says team have checked in on Kolosov. Asking price is a 2nd round pick and teams are trying to figure out if he would report to them. Can’t imagine we got a 2nd for this guy.
Briere is smart enough not to bid against himself, i.e., always start with a price that's too high and let potential trade partners make counter offers.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Briere is smart enough not to bid against himself, i.e., always start with a price that's too high and let potential trade partners make counter offers.
Briere is also smart enough to trade Kolosov away when he was being touted as a future #1 by both him and Jones as recently as a few months ago, (and who may well become the next Bobrovsky), trade him for 2nd or 3rd rounder, who he will then let Flahr draft another Mateo Mann with.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad