Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This is so demoralizing. I have high hopes for Kolosov, more than any other goalie that's been in the system for years (aside from he who will never be named again).

Losing him back to Europe for Fedotov, a soon to be 28 year old who rocked an 0.800 save percentage in limited NHL ice time, is another inexcusable misstep... especially with this news that they treated Kolosov like someone they didn't care whether he stayed or left.

Most embarrassing franchise in the NHL and has no self awareness for their incompetence. :shakehead

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Fedotov screwed up everything, otherwise they might have brought Kolosov to Philly and roomed him with Zamula. Probably should have kept Kolosov in Philly and let him hang around the team if they weren't going to start him in LHV.

They just don't have Russians in the minor league system, and given geopolitics, probably not good idea to room him with a Finn (Tuomaala).

Let him play in the KHL, then bring him over with Zavragin/Pautov.

I don't think Fedotov getting a NHL job ahead of him is an issue, Fedotov is 6 years older and has paid his dues. But Allentown isn't exactly a garden spot, and being alone in a hotel without a Russian speaker . . . should have found him a cute interpreter, but not too many in NE Pennsylvania.
You mean Danny Briere and company screwed everything up, right? They’re responsible for putting more emphasis on the 27 year old than the 22 year old.

The whole thing was likely was fueled by optic PR points that they could get the guy who was forced to serve in the military out out of Russia to be a Flyer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You mean Danny Briere and company screwed everything up, right? They’re responsible for putting more emphasis on the 27 year old than the 22 year old.

The whole thing was likely was fueled by optic PR points that they could get the guy who was forced to serve in the military out out of Russia to be a Flyer.
Fedotov carried his team to a KHL championship two years ago, had he not been sidelined, he might well be the Flyers starting goalie with Ersson as his backup.

Kolosov has two good but not great seasons starting in the KHL, he's not a starting NHL goalie right now. If he plays another year or two in the KHL, no big deal - Flyers have to evaluate what they already have on the team.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Fedotov carried his team to a KHL championship two years ago, had he not been sidelined, he might well be the Flyers starting goalie with Ersson as his backup.

Kolosov has two good but not great seasons starting in the KHL, he's not a starting NHL goalie right now. If he plays another year or two in the KHL, no big deal - Flyers have to evaluate what they already have on the team.
Wait wait wait...they have to evaluate what they have but when it comes to Dmen it's ok to sign scrub vets and block kids?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

But… he was sidelined. We don’t get to hand wave it.

It’s ok to say the Flyers f***ed this up. They didn’t even play in him LHV.

Lol if you think this guy is going to come back to the NHL with the Flyers organization after this clown show.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But… he was sidelined. We don’t get to hand wave it.

It’s ok to say the Flyers f***ed this up. They didn’t even play in him LHV.

Lol if you think this guy is going to come back to the NHL with the Flyers organization after this clown show.
We have his rights, and with the Russian economy ready to collapse if decarbonization weakens the oil market the next few years . . . NHL money is awfully attractive.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This incident may explain why teams are reluctant to draft Russians if they're not elite.

It's one thing to provide Michkov the social infrastructure to ease his transition, but to do so in the AHL is more difficult, you're unlikely to have staff who speak Russian, and you'd have to draft Russians on a regular basis to have teammates who speak Russian.

Most of the Swedes speak English, and there are a lot more Swedish draft picks.

Finns are somewhere in between, they probably were more likely to speak Russian decades ago, but I doubt they're comfortable with Russians, especially after the invasion of Ukraine. Russia tried to overrun Finland, and the Finns are always worried they'll try again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is so demoralizing. I have high hopes for Kolosov, more than any other goalie that's been in the system for years (aside from he who will never be named again).

Losing him back to Europe for Fedotov, a soon to be 28 year old who rocked an 0.800 save percentage in limited NHL ice time is another inexcusable misstep... especially with this news that they treated Kolosov like someone they didn't care whether he stayed or left.

Most embarrassing franchise in the NHL and has no self awareness for their incompetence. :shakehead

Mumble mumble he needs to wait his turn and face adversity mumble piss

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This incident may explain why teams are reluctant to draft Russians if they're not elite.

It's one thing to provide Michkov the social infrastructure to ease his transition, but to do so in the AHL is more difficult, you're unlikely to have staff who speak Russian, and you'd have to draft Russians on a regular basis to have teammates who speak Russian.

Finns are somewhere in between, they probably were more likely to speak Russian decades ago, but I doubt they're comfortable with Russians, especially after the invasion of Ukraine. Russia tried to overrun Finland, and the Finns are always worried they'll try again.

Far more Finns speak French than Russian tbh... probably less 2% of the population speak it.

Finland have hated Russia since, oh, 1917!

And tbh amongst the younger populations in Finland probably 95% speak English to a decent level. (probably 99% in Sweden)

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I hate this team’s management and coaches so f***ing much. Bunch of buffoons who could not run an ice cream parlour.

Phantoms played 14 games once Kolosov arrived (discounting game 1 day after arrived):

Peterson: 9 games
Sandstrom: 3 games
Kolosov: 2 games

Yeh... I mean... what the hell.

Cmon man. You forgot they were in the midst of a playoff race! Playing Kolosov only 2 games ensured they could make the deep playoff run they did and hang up a new banner for Puckface to drool over.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I hate this team’s management and coaches so f***ing much. Bunch of buffoons who could not run an ice cream parlour.

Cmon man. You forgot they were in the midst of a playoff race! Playing Kolosov only 2 games ensured they could make the deep playoff run they did and hang up a new banner for Puckface to drool over.

That is a dangerous game. You don't do right by Petersen as a veteran and you run the risk of future cap dumps not wanting to come to the Flyers.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The whole f***ing organization from top to bottom stinks. Absolutely clueless and inept. This is that whole mantra of "sucking it up" and "earning your place" on the team bullshit that has sank this club for years. Nope, let's not put players in positions to succeed, put them in positions to "earn their place" while feeding them table scraps. What was it that Steve Austin said about being fed garbage? You eventually become garbage. That's Philadelphia. Feed the fans and the organization garbage, they become it. However, most of the smart ones are able to see through the bullshit. This organization stinks. Yet another high profile prospect who said f*** this to the Flyers.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with why teams are reluctant to draft Russian's. This is just another example of an incompetent organization doing incompetent things. They probably promised him all this playing time, bring him over, play him in two games while a useless sack of shit goalie gets a majority of the playing time on top of letting him sit in a hotel room all by himself for weeks. Nothing else to it. This organization is the absolute worst. Anyone who believes anything they say about the Cutter incident is an idiot. After this, there's no chance anything they said is/was true

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
The way some of the people on this board sound is ridiculous... team was busy concentrating on Michkov and handling him with white gloves. Kolosov is mentally weak if that caused him to go home... he wouldn't have survived Torts anyways.

If you stick me kind of by myself in some Russian cow town as an American where I'm completely foreign to the language & culture. I’m probably not going to like it either.
Would you quit and go home on your first day? Talk about a mentally weak individual this Kolosov is.

Yes, the situation could be handled MUCH better but he would have complained about something else sooner or later anyways.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Would you quit and go home on your first day? Talk about a mentally weak individual this Kolosov is.

Yes, the situation could be handled MUCH better but he would have complained about something else sooner or later anyways.

He didn’t quit and go home on the first day. He was here for a month.

The team treated him like shit, paid him substantially less than he expected to make (AHL players get 70k max whereas NHL players get 950k minimum) and then handed an older, less talented “prospect” who has proven literally nothing at the NHL level (and looked mediocre this year in the KHL too) 6.25MM guaranteed and Kolosov’s NHL roster spot.

Oh, and they didn’t even let him attempt to show that he was ready for an NHL spot. They sat him behind Cal f***ing Petersen in the AHL because our precious culture demanded that we go balls out to win a calder cup and prioritize that over developing our 3rd best prospect.

It’s wild that you and the authentics think this highly talented kid should just shut up and take it.

He has a better option than the AHL waiting for him in his homeland of Belarus. He’s electing to take it. He’ll make more there and play against better competition than he would’ve in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad