PTO: anyone interested in Raffi Torres (Hurricanes offer PTO)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
At least have a clue if you are going to say things with such confidence. Leafs left him in SJ and didn't want him near the kids or team. Several insiders even stated this, and the Leafs management all but said this themselves.

Lol speak for yourself. He was injured and wasn't going to play. He was only included because the trade would have put the Sharks up against the cap, and they wouldn't have gotten to acquire Reimer. Raffi wasn't going to move across the country to play in the minors. Don't kid yourself.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
If Torres was born just ten or twenty years earlier he would have been a hero. Threw the same kind of hits Stevens threw but did it in the wrong era. I understand the hate he gets but I'm no fan of the hypocrisy.

I am amused by the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs took some sort of moral high ground and didn't want the poisonous Torres near their team. By all accounts Raffi is a super nice guy and was loved here by teammates in San Jose, he just is a throwback to an era where headshots were applauded as tough hockey and couldn't adjust to modern rules. He knew where the line was but still couldn't stop himself, and that's why he deserves to be out of the league, but not because he's evil or some kind of monster. Just an unfortunate product of a different era who, admittedly, lacked self-control on the ice.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If Torres was born just ten or twenty years earlier he would have been a hero. Threw the same kind of hits Stevens threw but did it in the wrong era. I understand the hate he gets but I'm no fan of the hypocrisy.

I am amused by the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs took some sort of moral high ground and didn't want the poisonous Torres near their team. By all accounts Raffi is a super nice guy and was loved here by teammates in San Jose, he just is a throwback to an era where headshots were applauded as tough hockey and couldn't adjust to modern rules. He knew where the line was but still couldn't stop himself, and that's why he deserves to be out of the league, but not because he's evil or some kind of monster. Just an unfortunate product of a different era who, admittedly, lacked self-control on the ice.
Exactly.

And it's funny, what was probably his worst, dirtiest hit, didn't even get a fine. (Michalek in '06)

The league only started to give a damn about headshots when lawsuits started happening in the nfl.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, the seabrook hit wasn't his fault, but the rest is disgusting.

Mad Brills*

I don't care if he's a nice guy off the ice.

His on ice behaviour speaks for itself.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Lol speak for yourself. He was injured and wasn't going to play. He was only included because the trade would have put the Sharks up against the cap, and they wouldn't have gotten to acquire Reimer. Raffi wasn't going to move across the country to play in the minors. Don't kid yourself.

Actually speak for yourself, he is right. Coming right from Torres

On the day of the deal, the Maple Leaf who never was waited for a telephone call that never came.

“It would have been nice for somebody to call,†Raffi Torres said on the telephone from San Jose, half-kidding, half-not. “I would have thought that might have happened.

“I know it was just a paper transaction. My GM, Doug Wilson, called to tell me what was going on. I never heard from the Leafs. Never heard a thing.â€

Credit to the Toronto Sun

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Actually speak for yourself, he is right. Coming right from Torres

On the day of the deal, the Maple Leaf who never was waited for a telephone call that never came.

“It would have been nice for somebody to call,†Raffi Torres said on the telephone from San Jose, half-kidding, half-not. “I would have thought that might have happened.

“I know it was just a paper transaction. My GM, Doug Wilson, called to tell me what was going on. I never heard from the Leafs. Never heard a thing.â€

Credit to the Toronto Sun
"I know it was just a paper transaction..." what does that tell you???

The only thing he says here is that it would have been nice to get a call from Toronto. He knew he wasn't going anywhere from the get go, so we can stop this whole 'Toronto took the moral highroad' angle.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If you are on the ice, keep your damn head up and look around. It should be the players responsibility to know where they are and what is happening around them.
There's an old saying from when hockey was hockey and not this ballet on ice crap it is becoming.
"Keep your head on a swivel" which means pay attention and know what's happening around you.
The Seabrook hit was a good hit. It's stupid that the guy with the puck can just look down at the ice and that means he's untouchable.

That being said, Torres is dangerous and makes it appear that he is out to injure.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
If you are on the ice, keep your damn head up and look around. It should be the players responsibility to know where they are and what is happening around them.
There's an old saying from when hockey was hockey and not this ballet on ice crap it is becoming.
"Keep your head on a swivel" which means pay attention and know what's happening around you.
The Seabrook hit was a good hit. It's stupid that the guy with the puck can just look down at the ice and that means he's untouchable.

That being said, Torres is dangerous and makes it appear that he is out to injure.

What is the prevalence of anything else in your post then?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
What is the prevalence of anything else in your post then?

That not every hit he gives out is bad.
There are many that are, imo, good hits, but sometimes I think he gets carried away and goes for the big effect. ie, the Hossa hit. If he hadn't have left the ice, it would have been a damn good hit, but he jumped up to get maximum damage, making it dirty.
The Seabrook hit is beautiful.
But that elbow to the head was a stupid, bonehead move.
I guess I mis-spoke in my post.
I don't think he intends to injure, I think he wants to make sure you feel the hit and think twice before you touch the puck when he's on the ice. I think he tries to get the most out of his hits and makes stupid judgement calls to achieve this. and in doing so makes dangerous plays.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ok i know this guy is very injury prone, and when he was healthy his rep was tarnished.

That being said i remember how effective he was on my nucks in 2011, yes that was a long time ago. However i think he deserves one more kick at the can.

Would you take him at league minimum salary or at the very least a PTO. Or is he damaged goods and not even worth taking a roster spot.
I think he is done. He lost a step

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I get why everyone hates the Seabrook hit....good player getting hit by a bum and all but it was a fine hit.
If you had of replaced Raffi Torres with any other bottom 6 physical guy, they would have made the exact same play. Seabrook ****ed up and paid the price. Simple as that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
All that the Torres saga told me was that you can get suspended a lot but just don't do it in the same way or else you'll become a NHL PR whipping boy. I mean, Rinaldo's got like 7 suspensions in 3 years and he's nowhere near banned from the NHL. I mean, Rinaldo's probably gonna play his way out cuz he sucks. Even Carcillo had 9 suspensions, and no half year ban.

I think Torres deserves the suspension but I also think the NHL is completely hypocritical in the way it hands out suspensions. Torres should have been the gold standard but it wasn't and it won't be.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I would invite him to Brooklyn on a PTO.
I think if he hasn't lost his wheels or motivation then he could be a good 4th line player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad