Speculation: Any interest in Liljegren for a mid round pick?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Without digging up the CBA clause, there's a short window where a team could sign a North American (trained) prospect who went undrafted and had remaining draft eligibility. I believe the window closes once the player returns to junior after being a camp invite.

Notably Martin Jones was undrafted in 2008 and impressed the Kings as a camp invite, so they signed him. On the flip side, LA had Radko Gudas as an undrafted camp invite in summer 2009. They would have liked to have signed him, but Gudas hadn't played a full draft season in North America so he was required to go through the 2010 Draft. The North American / European provision caused some confusion among NHL teams when the Flyers / Oilers tried to sign Tomas Hyka and Vladimir Tkachev.

I vaguely recall that the Sharks used to sign an undrafted guy or two every summer to make up for trading away a bunch of draft picks. Sharks signed Michael Sgarbossa after he went undrafted in 2010 and he'd win the OHL scoring title in 2011-12.

Columbus tried to trade back into the 7th round in 2015 for local kid Kole Sherwood but were unsuccessful. Sherwood went undrafted and Columbus signed him that summer. Sherwood was slated to go to Boston University, but signing the ELC meant that he was now ineligible for the NCAA. So he'd end up going the OHL route. Not sure if he would have stayed with BU had he been drafted.

I have a memory of when the 2011 Draft concluded, a few staffers from various teams rushed into the stands presumably to recruit some undrafted kids to attend their prospect camp.
Thanks!

So basically:

18/19 year old goes undrafted -> gets invited to a rookie camp on a tryout basis -> can be signed to an ELC up until the point where he'd go back to Junior camp, at which point, he's back in next year's draft pool.

AND, has to be both (essentially) a CHL kid (can't play in NCAA with a pro contract) and North American.

So it's a fairly niche group (even if you like a kid in your rookie camp being willing to sign him to an ELC when you didn't throw a low pick on him a couple months earlier, most of low picks teams wait to sign to see how they progress to begin with) most of the time.

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Yeah, I remember being mad when the Flyers picked up Zamula and Myers soon after the Flames training camps and it was regarded as like finding a free first and second round pick. I'm surprised both aren't second pairing mainstays and actually struggling. They showed a surprising bit of promise early on.
What would the Flames be interested in, futures wise added to Lilj to get Sharangovich?
1st?, Cowan?, Minten?

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Doesn’t look like he’s fast.

Thanks. I forgot about the Edge stuff.

Based on this info though, it doesn't seem like he's skating at all. There's no distance or bursts of speed. If I didn't have a name, the info showing for the skating metrics seem like they are from someone that just kinda stands around.

What would the Flames be interested in, futures wise added to Lilj to get Sharangovich?
1st?, Cowan?, Minten?

I'm not a good person to ask. But I do think the Flames are in a situation where they'd immediately want to start trying to consolidate quantity for quality, so I'm assuming prospects ready to make the jump as a top 9 mainstay vs futures a few years out? You'd have to ask other Flames fans more in the know.

But I'm also not sure if trading Rango now makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Edgelord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad