Speculation: Any interest in Liljegren for a mid round pick?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was a solid top RD when Rielly was suspended last year and Keefe was forced to play him properly:
Morgan Rielly’s Suspension Sparking Maple Leafs’ Best Stretch - The Hockey Writers Latest News, Analysis & More
...and this year in training camp achieved growth from last year:
I doubt a young Bobby Orr would have played to his potential under a coach like Keefe.
Ignoring the hyperbole on Orr, here’s what Berube had to say on his training camp:

‘Craig Berube on Timothy Liljegren’s camp showing: “Has to do things quicker, be a little heavier in his battles, move pucks quicker, and simplify the game”

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Not sure who would give any asset for a D that makes 3 millions and can't get into Toronto very mid top 6.

Maybe Columbus so they can get closer to the floor?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It would be premature to deal Lily at this stage. Ive been a fan since we drafted the kid.He plays a position the leafs have struggled to put good players in(Top 4 RHD role) for a decade plus.He was for the most part a top 4 dman last year who paced for 34 points. Trading him now would be the dumbest thing to do.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Rutta 50% retained, and a pick was the first thing I thought of when reading this thread.

Leafs get a replacement player at a much lower cap hit. Sharks get a guy that can grow on a rebuilding team, for a minimal price.
Which team is retaining and how does TOR pay for that?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
no, he is getting 3 mil per yr and looking like a 7th D man, I have a feeling no one is going to pay much for a bottom pair guy making 3 mil
That's negative value if he isn't a top 4 guy.

I don't know the return but it's delusional to think there aren't teams that would take a chance on him.

A 25 year-old RD with a few years of NHL experience and 2 years on his deal @ 3M? That's a low risk gamble with potentially a decent (but modest) upside for a GM that needs help on the (right side) blueline.
Delusional you mean like when Boqvist, Lundqvist, Branntsrom all weren't qualified this offseason because they would have made 2 + million. Less than Little Timothy. Maybe follow the league and familiarize yourself with more teams than the leafs. Teams don't want to pay 3rd pair d men 3 million dollars let alone 2.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There are still a lot of GMs in the league that are too dumb NOT to offer this or more. The same group having to explain to their bosses why they didn't acquire Nick Robertson when they could have got him for table scraps.
Lol there are d men on waivers making league minimum that can play the same role. Expand your view of hockey outside of the Toronto Maple leafs. There's 32 teams in the league.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lilly needs to be on the top pair with Ozone starts and #1 PP minutes. Honestly I would dump Reiilly and save the $7.5m and promote Lilly, but it's not gonna happen. He is totally misused and wasted as a 3rd pair dman.
Lilly is 200 pounds and 6’1”. He’s got the size to play a bottom pairing role but seems to be too easy to play against. He does a lot of reaching for pucks instead of creating contact. He doesn’t absorb contact on board play too. It’s clear how he plays isn’t what Berube prefers. He wants his D to be hard to play against.
And at 3 AAV it’s going to be hard to find a trading partner without retention, if the Leafs don’t want to take a contract back. IMO Treliving should have let Lilly walk instead of giving him a contract at 3 AAV

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Lilly is 200 pounds and 6’1”. He’s got the size to play a bottom pairing role but seems to be too easy to play against. He does a lot of reaching for pucks instead of creating contact. He doesn’t absorb contact on board play too. It’s clear how he plays isn’t what Berube prefers. He wants his D to be hard to play against.
And at 3 AAV it’s going to be hard to find a trading partner without retention, if the Leafs don’t want to take a contract back. IMO Treliving should have let Lilly walk instead of giving him a contract at 3 AAV
I think you proved my point. His game does not fit in a bottom pairing role. It would be like putting Kessel on the 4th line.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
If I am the Ducks I offer a 3rd or 4th rounder.

My two cents anyways.

The Ducks have too many D as it is, no room for him there.

I'd be okay with him in Edmonton as a #4 option next to Nurse, but the cap just doesn't work without either heavy retention or Toronto taking Kulak (which I'd be leery about because I love his stabilizing influence on the third pair). That would leave our third pair being some combination of Dermott, Emberson, Stecher and/or Josh Brown which I don't think is a formula for success.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The Ducks have too many D as it is, no room for him there.

I'd be okay with him in Edmonton as a #4 option next to Nurse, but the cap just doesn't work without either heavy retention or Toronto taking Kulak (which I'd be leery about because I love his stabilizing influence on the third pair). That would leave our third pair being some combination of Dermott, Emberson, Stecher and/or Josh Brown which I don't think is a formula for success.
Only 2 shoot right and talks of moving on from Cam Fowler. Could see Fowler going to a team needing a top 4 D and them taking Liligren for the right side.

I can't see Edmonton and Toronto working on a cap trade. Only way is if Kulak was sent to a 3rd team.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
This thread was right

He really is the odd man out on game 1
It's game 1 of a b2b. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in for game #2 and takes the spot back.

I think Keefe is a good coach, but he was pretty awful at developing our young, non-elite talent. Super short leash for Robertson and I think the system didn't give much room for error for our defensemen which is especially difficult for young dmen.

Liljegren still has plenty of time to develop and trading him for capspace so that we can fit in Jarnkrok is a massive mistake.

At a minimum, Leafs should wait until the TDL to make a move if we need help on defense.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's game 1 of a b2b. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in for game #2 and takes the spot back.

I think Keefe is a good coach, but he was pretty awful at developing our young, non-elite talent. Super short leash for Robertson and I think the system didn't give much room for error for our defensemen which is especially difficult for young dmen.

Liljegren still has plenty of time to develop and trading him for capspace so that we can fit in Jarnkrok is a massive mistake.

At a minimum, Leafs should wait until the TDL to make a move if we need help on defense.
‘Liljegren still has plenty of time to develop’

Not sure about that. At 25 and a half he’s running out of time. Other players will pass him on the depth chart.
The fact he didn’t even crack the starting lineup with a new coach is a red flag and means that it wasn’t really Keefe holding him back but rather the player failing to improve in areas that he needed to.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
‘Liljegren still has plenty of time to develop’

Not sure about that. At 25 and a half he’s running out of time. Other players will pass him on the depth chart.
The fact he didn’t even crack the starting lineup with a new coach is a red flag and means that it wasn’t really Keefe holding him back but rather the player failing to improve in areas that he needed to.

I really don't put near as much stock in opening night roster on a b2b. I think that Liljegren and McMann should (and will) get a chance to play in game #2 and if they play better than the players they replaced they will likely continue to make the lineup.

There was a stretch last year when Mo was out when Liljegren played big minutes and played extremely well. He didn't have a good camp, but there's a good player in there that just needs to figure out how to improve his consistency.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Barrie is a much better player at 1/3 the cost.

I bet the Leafs would take him for Lil right now.

Barrie was available to the whole league for free last week.

So yes, Lil is a cap dump with negative value.

Barrie is a straight up stop gap though. Liljegren at least is a project with potential upside. I think both teams might consider such a trade, but Barrie would be the one who isn't too happy to be sent back to Toronto.

It was kylington not valimaki.

No it was Valimaki. Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren and Vaakanainen were all drafted in sequence from 14-18.

2017 NHL entry draft - Wikipedia

Flames fans were puzzled why we didn't draft Liljegren (needed RD) and took Valimaki instead, but started to see what the scouts saw quickly. Valimaki rocketed up to the best of that group with a bit of extra room very quickly showing second pairing competency far sooner than the other guys. But something went seriously wrong (just pandemic?) for the development of all of those guys though and now they're all languishing with Valimaki taking the biggest tumble soon after his ACL injury. POJ (23rd) drafted a few picks later is in the same boat as those guys that fell. Joker (Buffalo) is the guy who is currently the best out of all of them (drafted at 29).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I really don't put near as much stock in opening night roster on a b2b. I think that Liljegren and McMann should (and will) get a chance to play in game #2 and if they play better than the players they replaced they will likely continue to make the lineup.

There was a stretch last year when Mo was out when Liljegren played big minutes and played extremely well. He didn't have a good camp, but there's a good player in there that just needs to figure out how to improve his consistency.

‘I really don't put near as much stock in opening night roster on a b2b.’

Opening night roster is actually pretty important whether it’s back to back or not.
Not a vote of confidence by the current coach who already has raised concerns about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad