Prospect Info: Anton Silayev (LD - #10 Overall - Round 1 - 2024 Draft)

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
torpedo had a near meltdown but solid stuff from silayev again (i missed about half the 2nd and a chunk of the 3rd as a disclaimer)
  • daily reminder of how good he is at engulfing forecheckers and taking away space
  • hes still not perfect on the puck, but we're over a month in now and im not seeing him blind fire pass attempts into danger like he did in his draft year (issue really only appears on pressured clears). love it. more thinking/surveying/control on the puck now
  • not nearly as active offensively today, but did jump up on some rushes/trail. torpedo went up by a lot early (and by the time it got close they were already in panic mode lol) so not really needed anyway
  • if i have one complaint about his defensive game, it still feels like pass attempts get through him more easily than id like. i dont know if its a timing thing, a stick positioning thing, or just a coordination issue at his size, but for as impressive as his active stick can be, it rarely feels like hes a threat to intercept (or even tip) pucks in the lanes hes covering

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
torpedo had a near meltdown but solid stuff from silayev again (i missed about half the 2nd and a chunk of the 3rd as a disclaimer)
  • daily reminder of how good he is at engulfing forecheckers and taking away space
  • hes still not perfect on the puck, but we're over a month in now and im not seeing him blind fire pass attempts into danger like he did in his draft year (issue really only appears on pressured clears). love it. more thinking/surveying/control on the puck now
  • not nearly as active offensively today, but did jump up on some rushes/trail. torpedo went up by a lot early (and by the time it got close they were already in panic mode lol) so not really needed anyway
  • if i have one complaint about his defensive game, it still feels like pass attempts get through him more easily than id like. i dont know if its a timing thing, a stick positioning thing, or just a coordination issue at his size, but for as impressive as his active stick can be, it rarely feels like hes a threat to intercept (or even tip) pucks in the lanes hes covering
I'm guessing that at his height and propped up on skates he can barely see the puck so far below which makes it hard to block or deflect passes.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I only caught the first. He had a really dumb icing. He was between the blue line and red line. He didn’t have a play but instead of like putting it off the glass more lightly, he fired it off the boards and it went down easy for an icing.

I think pucks are probably always going to go through him a bit easier just because of how big he is. He’s already pretty damn coordinated for a guy that big that young. It’s one of the disadvantages for big guys. There’s a lot more room for pucks to go through their feet or under their sticks

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
I only caught the first. He had a really dumb icing. He was between the blue line and red line. He didn’t have a play but instead of like putting it off the glass more lightly, he fired it off the boards and it went down easy for an icing.
i agree i would like to see improvement w these types of plays (honestly, he probably has 1 or 2 a game like that). the reason i havent really been calling them out is because i think its him figuring things out and id rather wait and see if it improves over time before calling it bad per se

he loved passing into open ice last year (part of which i think was necessary out of being on his weak side) so i can excuse some of these awkward clears/stretch pass attempts since it feels like him trying to problem solve/do something different. for me, so early into his d+1 season, a good idea with the wrong touch is better than a bad idea with the right touch. maybe not on that specific play, but i also feel like hes working through his timing/ability to anticipate teammate movement as well, and some of these are just miscues in that regard

ill likely get harder on him later in the year if hes still botching things/having these weird icing plays

Reactions: Hisch13r

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
i agree i would like to see improvement w these types of plays (honestly, he probably has 1 or 2 a game like that). the reason i havent really been calling them out is because i think its him figuring things out and id rather wait and see if it improves over time before calling it bad per se

he loved passing into open ice last year (part of which i think was necessary out of being on his weak side) so i can excuse some of these awkward clears/stretch pass attempts since it feels like him trying to problem solve/do something different. for me, so early into his d+1 season, a good idea with the wrong touch is better than a bad idea with the right touch. maybe not on that specific play, but i also feel like hes working through his timing/ability to anticipate teammate movement as well, and some of these are just miscues in that regard

ill likely get harder on him later in the year if hes still botching things/having these weird icing plays
It can take some time. Shakir wasn't perfect in this aspect of the game. And year after year we are tracking different players, I saw many big players who has this kind of problems, we can saw it in NHL regularly. Its a mechanical thing and smart big player will learn how to position himself in different situation and not creating problems for himself and for his partners.
Its a growing process and may be he should learn to not just catch the puck but taking the right spot from the right angle and tracking space around him.

Reactions: evnted

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

This play in particular is one I don't think you can really excuse like that. I don't think there was anything to "figure out". He just put wayyy too much on it.

Reactions: evnted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad