Player Discussion Anton Lander

space321

May 11, 2011
Put him on McDavid's wing after we get healthy imo. He should be good to cover for faceoffs and hopefully get going since McDavid is too good to get dragged down by Lander imo. His problem right now is confidence.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Put him on McDavid's wing after we get healthy imo. He should be good to cover for faceoffs and hopefully get going since McDavid is too good to get dragged down by Lander imo. His problem right now is confidence.

And his speed. And his shot. And his positioning, timing, engagement..

It's not just confidence. That is the tip of the iceberg. To rely on a rookie recovering from an injury to pull him out of his 'slump' is not the answer yo. That's MacTavish thinking.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010

It's not just confidence. That is the tip of the iceberg. To rely on a rookie recovering from an injury to pull him out of his 'slump' is not the answer yo. That's MacTavish thinking.

I forget that this logic only works when trying to pull yakupov out of his slump, as riding shotgun with mcdavid has arguably been the few times yak looks competent on the ice.

Oct 15, 2008
I forget that this logic only works when trying to pull yakupov out of his slump, as riding shotgun with mcdavid has arguably been the few times yak looks competent on the ice.
McDavid has produced when playing with Yak. He hasn't produced with anyone else. They seem to help each other.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid has produced when playing with Yak. He hasn't produced with anyone else. They seem to help each other.

I agree that Yak works fine with him, but thats not really a good argument considering those games he played without Yak were his first 4 NHL games against all central division teams and he was still getting numerous high quality chances just not finishing.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

No kidding.

Unless the plan is to pump up Lander's value so he can be a throw-in for a bigger deal, I don't know why we have to keep on trying a bunch of 'experiments' just so he can be in the groove.

He's an AHL star and that's it. Aside from face offs, his only good attribute in the AHL, he's been a big disappointment.

space321

May 11, 2011

McDavid played like 3 or 4 games without Yakupov on his line, which were the first games of his career against teams like STL, NSH and DAL. After McDavid went down Yakupov looked lost, and had no points just like Lander. It isn't rocket science to figure out McDavid has the ability to drag his teammates up.

Since Pouliot will likely play with RNH/Ebs, I don't see any reason we can't try Lander at McDavid's wing. Like I said, McDavid can play with anyone, if Lander doesn't work out then we can put in other wingers like Hendricks/Korpikoski or whatever. Also faceoffs.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So, disappointment is an understatement for how I feel about Landers performance this year so far.

His success last year was not from Hall, and not a fluke.

He is a pick that even people outside the organization thought strong. A guy who's top end is/was in question but I think most figured he would be an nhler to some capacity for a good portion of his career.

I am banking that he has an injury of some sort and just doesn't have the option to sit. Hopefully between the Xmas and all star break he recovers from all that.

If there is no injury its a confidence thing. I'd like to see him played with McDavid or given PP time to at least attempt to jump start him. If all that fails and we get a full line up back I expect him to head to the AHL for a stint there as well.

This is guy that needs to be better or relaplaced if the oilers are going to ever make the playoffs. He hasn't played bad most the year but hypothetically speaking every goal he should have had to this spot should have ment a point in the standings for the oilers.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Wouldn't he be a perfect third link with Mickey D and Yak, to cover for them defensivey - allowing they to roam (more) free offensively?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If all he can do at the NHL level us win face offs and brings no hitting, nastiness, or even the faintest glimmer of offence, then he is not an NHL player. I'd park him in the AHL. With Yakimov gone, there is a spot open where he belongs.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Belanger never led he league in goals in preseason.

Lander is frustrating because he showed us what he could do and then stunk the joint.

Is there any team who may be interested in him? DET ? Zetterberg connection... NSH? Forsberg connection?

He is still eating up a lot of PK mins (2nd only after Letestu) and is 55% on the dot so in theory he has replaced Gordon pretty well.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I actually think he has been looking more sharp lately, say the last 10 games or so. But unless he is able to start putting up some numbers I guess he'll be scratched / on-his-way once McDavid and Yakupov return. I can't really see a place for him even though I wish there was because I think he could break this slump and start looking like he did last season again.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's weird because I don't think he has looked that bad the last several games and I think there is some potential with that Khaira-Lander-Klink line, they have had some excellent forechecking shifts the last 2 games and I like Lander on the PP, he wins a lot of faceoffs and he knows his role in front of the net. He's also a solid PKer.
The problem, as mentioned, is where his place in the lineup is when McDavid returns. I'm guessing that Korpi-Letestu-Hendricks will just be moved down to the 4th line with Kassian probably linking on to the McDavid-Yak line.

I think there's a decent player in Lander but it appears inevitable that it won't be in Edmonton and he really has nobody to blame but himself, it's not like the organization hasn't given him countless opportunities.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
McDavid played like 3 or 4 games without Yakupov on his line, which were the first games of his career against teams like STL, NSH and DAL. After McDavid went down Yakupov looked lost, and had no points just like Lander. It isn't rocket science to figure out McDavid has the ability to drag his teammates up.

Since Pouliot will likely play with RNH/Ebs, I don't see any reason we can't try Lander at McDavid's wing. Like I said, McDavid can play with anyone, if Lander doesn't work out then we can put in other wingers like Hendricks/Korpikoski or whatever. Also faceoffs.

Lander, McD, Yak???

Holy helicopter line, Bateman. That is under utilizing McD in a merciless way.

I don't want Lander anywhere near our scoring lines. He's a black hole if there ever was one. Bury him on the 4th line or in Bakersfield.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I really wanted him to succeed. But at this point, he doesn't seem to bring much to the team other than the ability to win faceoffs.

Seems like he is destined for waivers if enough forwards ever get healthy.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

the dude just hurt his collar bone he cant be carrying around 190lbs of lander for 60mins a game.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
how many games did ville lieno go with out scoring?

lol Anton Lieno

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Lander takes a few seasons to blossom in every league.
Even though I have concerns about his foot speed, I think he's worth waiting on.
McDavid played like 3 or 4 games without Yakupov on his line, which were the first games of his career against teams like STL, NSH and DAL. After McDavid went down Yakupov looked lost, and had no points just like Lander. It isn't rocket science to figure out McDavid has the ability to drag his teammates up..
Nope, nope. We all saw that three game sample.
What more could you possible need to draw conclusions like McDavid didn't produce without Yakupov? Perfectly logical stuff. :biglaugh:

Oct 15, 2008
Gp-47
G-0
A-2
Pts-2

Zak Kassian
Gp-5
G-1
A-1
Pts-2
Even

It only took 5 games for Kassian to surpass what Lander has done in 47 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad