Player Discussion Anton Lander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So if Drai is good at center, we push him or RNH to 3c? That doesn't make sense. Running 3 incredible scoring lines is a fantasy and doesn't actually happen.

It can happen this year. They'll all get PP time, they'll all be over 15 minutes a game, that's plenty of time to be productive offensively.

As it is, RNH is going up against the other team's top line. At no point during the game is the team rolling two lines. So there's no reason three lines can't share the ice effectively.

Edit: I'll add that the Oilers don't really have a choice at this point anyway. They need to get a second line going, so Drai and RNH are going to be split up.

Hall - Drai - Purcell
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Those are going to be the lines until McDavid gets back. The alternative will be putting McDavid on the top line with Drai and Hall, but would you not be curious to see if Yak and McDavid can continue to click?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
So if Drai is good at center, we push him or RNH to 3c? That doesn't make sense. Running 3 incredible scoring lines is a fantasy and doesn't actually happen.

It will need to happen out of necessity.

The bottom 2 lines have given this team nothing all year. Not a friggin thing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It will need to happen out of necessity.

The bottom 2 lines have given this team nothing all year. Not a friggin thing.
Half the bottom 6 has been injured for most of the year too.

If we need a good scoring line then move Yak and a 2nd for a good 3c and a winger, problem solved.

Gives us 2 great lines instead of 3 mediocre lines.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Half the bottom 6 has been injured for most of the year too.

If we need a good scoring line then move Yak and a 2nd for a good 3c and a winger, problem solved.

Gives us 2 great lines instead of 3 mediocre lines.

In what world are you getting two solid players for Yak and a second?

If Yak only works with McDavid, just go with it until Yak is dealt. It makes the team better if a line Yak is on can produce offensively.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
So his icetime has been cut basically since the last post in this thread was made. Why is he still up with the big club? Instead of havign him play 7 minutes a game like he did in Boston, why dont they send him down to find his game? Is no-one on the farm team worth bringing up for a look?

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
So his icetime has been cut basically since the last post in this thread was made. Why is he still up with the big club? Instead of havign him play 7 minutes a game like he did in Boston, why dont they send him down to find his game? Is no-one on the farm team worth bringing up for a look?

I think they just keep him for those face-offs in the defensive zone.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Lander's been improving over the past half dozen games or so. He's creating chances again, but he's been snakebitten.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
He got over 10 minutes against Buffalo and deserved it. He's been snake bitten but playing hard and smart. He's not the most gifted offensively so can't count on many points.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Well they'd have to expose him to waivers. With how he's played so far that might not be much of a risk, but they might see how he played last year and think that even the small chance he gets claimed is too much of a risk.

And no, there isn't anyone worth calling up from the minors.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Lander's been playing fine over the last few games. He's never going to produce a tonne of offense, but as a 4th line center who's good on the draw and decent defensively, I'll take it.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Lander's been playing fine over the last few games. He's never going to produce a tonne of offense, but as a 4th line center who's good on the draw and decent defensively, I'll take it.

yeah, he has been generating chances as well, just not cashing on them.... there is value in generating chances however, even if you don't score.... obviously at some point he needs to produce something, but he's been playing fine overall recently

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Well they'd have to expose him to waivers. With how he's played so far that might not be much of a risk, but they might see how he played last year and think that even the small chance he gets claimed is too much of a risk.

And no, there isn't anyone worth calling up from the minors.

Yeah, I thought about the waiver issue afterwars. Dumb suggestion by me. I think he'd get claimed

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He has looked a little faster (albeit against slower teams), a little more dangerous, and a lot less lost.

Especially in the defensive zone, seeing him in the wrong spot not taking anyone or anything like he was for a while there made me question if he is even worth playing at the NHL level.

He looks better recently but his minutes have also been slashed to next to nothing if I remember correctly. Probably playing against weaker opposition as well.

I hope he was battling through a lower body injury cause his skating has been atrocious most the year.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Lander's play has been looking better of late. He's been excellent on the face off circle and he's had a few chances offensively as well. Hopefully he keeps regaining confidence so he can get back to last years form.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm wondering if he's hiding an upper body injury. From watching him live his wrist shot seems so weak compared to how hard he was shooting last year and during this preseason.

Jun 22, 2009
He's been playing much better of late. The Oilers are gonna waive him when everyone gets healthy, and they're gonna regret it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Lander's play has been looking better of late. He's been excellent on the face off circle and he's had a few chances offensively as well. Hopefully he keeps regaining confidence so he can get back to last years form.

It's certainly wishful thinking on my part but perhaps Lander just needs to feel that he has the confidence of the coaching staff behind him and get comfortable, there's no doubting he played much better for Nelson and Sweden than he has for anyone else and even with Nelson it took him some time to adjust. At least now he's contributing defensively, early on he was making some poor mistakes on the backcheck. If he can win draws, be a pain, and be defensively reliable for his contract i think he's a decent end of the roster plugger. Certainly been very disappointing though. Even though he's struggled a bit i'm still not too sure why they don't try him out as a net front presence on the PP, it seemed to give him a ton of confidence and he was doing very well there last year. In saying that maybe he needs to do a bit more to earn it.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I'm wondering if he's hiding an upper body injury. From watching him live his wrist shot seems so weak compared to how hard he was shooting last year and during this preseason.

I think it's pretty likely. The oilers have center depth now, but not enough to adequately cover for losing two of your top three. (I doubt any team does) Sometimes players play through injuries when the situation demands it, and I'm sure that RNH is now.

(edit, sorry I guess this is a thread for Lander, not RNH)

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think Lander is one of those guys that for whatever reason starts slow...

He has really solidified the bottom six lately, very reliable. I really like him with Pakarinen. Nice combo.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lander's been improving over the past half dozen games or so. He's creating chances again, but he's been snakebitten.

With the exception of a handful of games, he's been the player like last year. Hard working, generally good defensively etc. He just can't score. That's all there is really to it. He's a player we need, he just needs to put up some points here to really be more useful.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Lander's played his way out of getting waived. It'll be interesting to see how the bottom six ends up. Gazdic's gotta be on the chopping block, However beyond that there's going to be some decisions.

You're top "8" is set

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
______-RNH-Eberle

Hendricks is a lock, so that leaves 4 guaranteed forward spots. That could be 5, but it depends on if they want to carry 8 defenceman (though with Fayne waived they don't have to)

Lander, Letestu, Klinkhammer, Korpikoski, Gazdic are all waiver eligible. Pakarinen looks like he belongs, plus Khaira's shown some solid play.

For me, it's ideally:

Hendricks-RNH-Eberle
Klinkhammer-Lander-Pakarinen
PB: Korpikoski, Letestu

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think Lander's played his way out of getting waived. It'll be interesting to see how the bottom six ends up. Gazdic's gotta be on the chopping block, However beyond that there's going to be some decisions.

You're top "8" is set

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
______-RNH-Eberle

Hendricks is a lock, so that leaves 4 guaranteed forward spots. That could be 5, but it depends on if they want to carry 8 defenceman (though with Fayne waived they don't have to)

Lander, Letestu, Klinkhammer, Korpikoski, Gazdic are all waiver eligible. Pakarinen looks like he belongs, plus Khaira's shown some solid play.

For me, it's ideally:

Hendricks-RNH-Eberle
Klinkhammer-Lander-Pakarinen
PB: Korpikoski, Letestu

It definitely will be interesting if/when everybody is healthy.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
It's certainly wishful thinking on my part but perhaps Lander just needs to feel that he has the confidence of the coaching staff behind him and get comfortable, there's no doubting he played much better for Nelson and Sweden than he has for anyone else and even with Nelson it took him some time to adjust. At least now he's contributing defensively, early on he was making some poor mistakes on the backcheck. If he can win draws, be a pain, and be defensively reliable for his contract i think he's a decent end of the roster plugger. Certainly been very disappointing though. Even though he's struggled a bit i'm still not too sure why they don't try him out as a net front presence on the PP, it seemed to give him a ton of confidence and he was doing very well there last year. In saying that maybe he needs to do a bit more to earn it.

I agree. Just my conjecture, but I think Lander is one of those players that needs to feel like people have confidence in him. He was rushed (and almost ruined) by Eakins, dominated the AHL, played like crap under Eakins again, then flourished under Nelson.

McLellan was a new coach with no ties to him and running a new system. IMO, Lander probably got a bit down on himself (especially when he blew some grade A chances), but lately I see Lander excelling in the 'Boyd Gordon' role, and I think he will be a better shutdown center than Letestu by the end of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad