Waived: Anton Khudobin ( Update : clears *duh* )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
They could of moved him in the off-season when his value was higher and ran with Oettinger from the get go. Now we get nothing, not even a 7th.

Reactions: Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think he gets claimed

Claiming a goalie with a .873 SV% and a 3.73 GAA who has a caphit or $3.333333m , has one more year left on his deal and is owed more money than his caphit would certainly be a choice.

Not like the team made Khudobin look this bad. Just compare his numbers to that of Holtby (.923 SV% and 2.39 GAA ) and Oettingers ( .951 SV% and 1.52 GAA ) .

Khudobin has been bad this year and already had been below average at best last year as well. Claiming him would be very wierd. This is not Khudobin of old . The current one is bad and has been bad for a while.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They could of moved him in the off-season when his value was higher and ran with Oettinger from the get go. Now we get nothing, not even a 7th.

I don't think he had much value in the offseason either. He had a bad season last year as well. Analytically one of the worst goalies in the league with below average numbers .

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Claiming a goalie with a .873 SV% and a 3.73 GAA who has a caphit or $3.333333m , has one more year left on his deal and is owed more money than his caphit would certainly be a choice.

Not like the team made Khudobin look this bad. Just compare his numbers to that of Holtby (.923 SV% and 2.39 GAA ) and Oettingers ( .951 SV% and 1.52 GAA ) .

Khudobin has been bad this year and already had been below average at best last year as well. Claiming him would be very wierd. This is not Khudobin of old . The current one is bad and has been bad for a while.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Vodka is to blame probably

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Not sure how much value Khudobin had in the offseason. Don't think any teams viewed him as a starter and his cap hit is kinda stiff for a backup.

By the end of the first day of free agency, practically every goalie spot was taken. Backups like Halak, Jones, Raanta, Elliott, Mrazek, Rittich, Anderson/Dell, Broissoit, and Bernier were signed. Andersen, Ullmark, and Grubauer were signed as UFA starters. Vanecek and Vladar were acquired and Kuemper was dealt to be a starter.

Goalies by the end of Day 1 of free agency:

Anaheim: Gibson-Stolarz
Calgary: Markstrom-Vladar
Edmonton: Smith-Koskinen
Los Angeles: Petersen-Quick
Seattle: Grubauer-Driedger
San Jose: Hill-Reimer
Vancouver: Demko-Halak
Vegas: Lehner-Broissoit

Arizona: Hutton-?-Vejmelka-Korenar
Chicago: Fleury-Lankinen
Colorado: Kuemper-Francouz
Dallas: Holtby-Khudobin-Oettinger-Bishop
Minnesota: Talbot-Kahkonen
Nashville: Saros-Rittich
St. Louis: Binnington-Husso
Winnipeg: Hellebuyck-Comrie?

Boston: Ullmark-Swayman
Buffalo: Anderson-Dell-Tokarski
Detroit: Greiss-Nedeljkovic
Florida: Bobrovsky-Knight
Montreal: Price (injured)-Allen-?
Ottawa: Murray-Forsberg
Tampa: Vasilevskiy-Elliott
Toronto: Campbell-Mrazek

Carolina: Andersen-Raanta
Columbus: Merzlikins-Korpisalo
New Jersey: Blackwood-Bernier
NY Islanders: Varlamov-Sorokin
NY Rangers: Shesterkin-Georgiev
Philadelphia: Hart-Jones
Pittsburgh: Jarry-DeSmith
Washington: Vanecek-Samsonov

I don't really see much of an offseason market for Khudobin there. Arizona could use a goalie but they used their budget elsewhere to buy picks rather than give up a pick for a goalie.

Buffalo was probably going budget on goaltending knowing it was a rebuilding year. They took on Will Butcher's contract and got a late pick in return. I don't think they would have given up an asset for Khudobin who probably had Buffalo on his no trade list anyways.

Winnipeg maybe could have used an upgrade for Comrie but I don't think they would want a backup making Khudobin's contract.

Pretty much everybody was 'set' by the second day of free agency.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Guys with multiple years and a decent cap hit rarely get claimed, Khudobin likely won’t be any different. Hopefully Dallas can retain salary and get him back into the NHL. He’s still likely NHL level, but the contract is to much of a risk

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Halak's availability depends on how far Van can claw their way back before the TDL, if they're even sniffing a wild card spot theres no way they deal him.

Khudobin might be worth a gamble depending how much 75% retention would cost. I'm assuming Dallas would eat 50% for peanuts, but I'd be curious to see the price for a 3rd party team to retain on top of it. He's definitely not the worst depth option on the market.
Due to the change in management, and Rutherford saying they are going to build for the future, I think the Canucks may actually trade their UFA's this year even if they are close to a wildcard spot.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Cap space if he is claimed or he clears and someone trades for him. Allows the new team to put him in the minors as well after he clears.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Based on the almost certainty that Craig Anderson (month-to-month) has played his last NHL game, I will be legit shocked if Buffalo doesn't claim him.

Vet euro goalie to act as a mentor for UPL, fairly cheap for a 1B, under team control for 1 more year and only a calendar year removed from some pretty impressive play between the pipes. Corresponding move would be to waive Dell or Tok, which upsets absolutely no one & assign either Subban or UPL to ROC to start there.

Also helps Buffalo stay above the floor when they deal the UFA guys (they're +$7.4M currently), ie; Eakin, Miller, Butcher, Hagg & Cagguila (predicting extensions for Pysyk & Hinistroza - both "donnie-guys").

Oh, and he doesn't cost any assets to acquire.

Makes a ton of sense TBH.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Surely he will get claim, I wonder who has the cap space for it.
NJ,Buffalo,PIT maybe ANA ?

A long shot would be Montreal, if they have received offers for Allen or if Price can't return soon.
Anaheim has zero interest in him, Gibson and Stolarz are doing just fine and they won't bring in someone who will take starts from Dostal in San Diego

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Could've let him walk instead of inking his current deal, but Nill felt he owed him after that playoff run I guess. :dunno:

I mean they had an injured Bishop and Oettinger who had played 0 NHL games at that point when Khudobin was re-signed. They had to sign someone . They went with the known quantity and it didn't work out.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's 100% getting claimed, likely Arizona, Buffalo, New Jersey, heck probably even Winnipeg as surprising as it sounds.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Khudobin always played the best when he was getting plastered with pucks. So in that sense Arizona or Buffalo could make sense. He could have a little resurgence in terms of stats.

A tough gamble to make though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad