Value of: Anthony Cirelli

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I would hate to see him get traded but acknowledge that there are plenty of teams that would be excellent fits.

Still, BriseBois made some tough moves in order to re-sign the core of the team, Cirelli included. I'm not so sure he'd ship him out a year after his extension kicks in.

Cirelli is a seriously good hockey player, the type of guy you win with. Absolutely worth every penny of his contract, the "6 million for 40 pts" crowd just don't get it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd rather the Sabres pick Yakemchuk at 11, and send one or two of their gazillion forward prospects to TBL. TBL need young players who can play now, on ELC's. I am not saying give them Benson, but surely they can spare Kulich + Krebs? Remember, if they are eating all that salary it really benefits TBL.
Kulich + Krebs is too much, I can't see Adams parting with those two, especially since they're both his guys and not the previous regime's. Krebs/11OA + Ostlund + 2nd or Kulich + 2nd is probably the highest Adams would go.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
A 26yo C who has already won two cups and is known for being defensively responsible. He'd definitely get a 1st + from someone
If he had a great contract he'd easily get a 1st +

6.25M for a 3C is pretty steep though. That term is also way too long.

Looking at similar 3C guys who were solid defensively they mostly get 2nds + prospects back in trade. For them to get a 1st you'd need to have some retention or just a cheaper deal under 4M.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Kulich + Krebs is too much, I can't see Adams parting with those two, especially since they're both his guys and not the previous regime's. Krebs/11OA + Ostlund + 2nd or Kulich + 2nd is probably the highest Adams would go.

Kulich + 2nd is something I'd be ok with as a TB Fan.

Krebs would be a healthy scratch in Tampa. Don't need at all

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

I'd do this. We'd bleed a bit but I think the Sabres need a move like this to take the next step, I imagine Kulich would prob haunt us but I think it's worth it for the fit Cirelli would provide for us.

Sabres just better make sure they're confident in Savoie's durability if they're going to move Kulich.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
11oa, Krebs, Johnson, Rosen
for
Cirelli and Cernak

as a starting point.

Sabres fix two of their biggest problems (3c, shutdown d), Bolts downgrade those same positions, but get younger in the process with players that still have upside. They also gain cap relief and two blue chip assets.
I am skeptical TB would move Cernak. Didn't they just make some statement about how they constructed their defense? My guess is something like Kulich and Krebs might make sense depending upon how TB sees those two guys.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I am skeptical TB would move Cernak. Didn't they just make some statement about how they constructed their defense? My guess is something like Kulich and Krebs might make sense depending upon how TB sees those two guys.
I'm wondering if their first preference is to keep Cirelli and Cernak and try to trade Serg instead.

Reactions: My3Sons

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
JBB isnt trading both Cernak AND Cirelli. It will be one or the other and very possibly neither.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd do this. We'd bleed a bit but I think the Sabres need a move like this to take the next step, I imagine Kulich would prob haunt us but I think it's worth it for the fit Cirelli would provide for us.

Sabres just better make sure they're confident in Savoie's durability if they're going to move Kulich.
It would be painful until the second the puck dropped for the season, and Sabres fans would instantly stop caring about losing Kulich and be happy about the trade. Not sure Adams would do it but he 100% should if it's an option.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Could see Canes in on this. Cirelli seems like a very RBA type player and while you'd love more offense out of your 2C, it's a hole on the roster for sure and having Aho - Cirelli - Staal - Drury would be very beastly defensive C depth.

Reading this thread, the very first team that came to mind was the Canes. He just seems tailor made for them.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Isn't their problem is that they're all Cirelli's, and that they need something else to balance things out?
Well if there's a better 2C option available at a price point we can afford in terms of both assets and $$$ then we're all ears. Right now Cirelli seems like a pretty solid option even if he's not spectacular on the offensive side and there is little doubt that he would fit in well to RBA's coaching style.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

The only reason Krebs is even being mentioned is that he's a legit NHL center with still a bit of upside. Maybe he maxes as a 3rd line center that plays with some feistiness to him. And he's NHL-caliber now. As opposed to someone like Kulich who is more than likely NHL-ready, just hasn't proven it beyond a doubt yet.

That said -- if Tampa wants Kulich and a 2nd as opposed to 11 OA.......I'm all for it.

Again, Cirelli is EXACTLY what Buffalo needs.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Well if there's a better 2C option available at a price point we can afford in terms of both assets and $$$ then we're all ears. Right now Cirelli seems like a pretty solid option even if he's not spectacular on the offensive side and there is little doubt that he would fit in well to RBA's coaching style.
Lindholm is a UFA, would only cost an extra million or two and is better offensively. I can't imagine he wouldn't fit like a glove with RBA.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Lindholm is a UFA, would only cost an extra million or two and is better offensively. I can't imagine he wouldn't fit like a glove with RBA.
There's some seemingly bad blood between Lindholm and Carolina. Not putting a reuinion out of the question but I don't think we are on his list of desired destinations. But yes, Lindholm playing at his full abilities would be an excellent 2C option. You never know.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Staal and Drury seem like great centers to have behind Aho imo. That's one of the best parts about that team, their center spine. Drury has become a favorite of mine.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Staal and Drury seem like great centers to have behind Aho imo. That's one of the best parts about that team, their center spine. Drury has become a favorite of mine.
They are great in terms of being strong defensive presence but neither of them provides a ton of offense. I mean Cirelli isn't exactly Malkin as a 2C when it comes to offense but 45 points and excellent defensively is better than what we currently have.

If we go with 4 awesome defensive C and then can have offensive wingers pick up the slack in the goal scoring department that could work. Trying to find a unicorn 2C just might not be possible.

Lindholm or Trochek sure would be great though... too bad those didn't work out...

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
It would be painful until the second the puck dropped for the season, and Sabres fans would instantly stop caring about losing Kulich and be happy about the trade. Not sure Adams would do it but he 100% should if it's an option.
At the same time I can very easily see Kulich being a 30-40 goal guy in Tampa's system and Cirelli being just an overpaid bottom 6 C in a few seasons.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No way Cirelli is worth the 11th OA or prospects like Kulich or Savoie

You can have Krebs you can have a prospect like Rosen you can have pick like a 2nd or 3rd rounder ..

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I’ve seen Rosen and a pair of 2nd for Cirelli as a fair offer. Especially if the 25 pick is a 3rd that can become a 3nd if Buffalo makes the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad