Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
$6.5 million being 3C money is going to take awhile for my brain to get used to. Woof
The value he brings to a team is factually underrated, it's too bad this fan base doesn't see it....all hockey people do see it. Crazy to think that a player that does so much of the little things, and plays the hardest minutes gets no love, a shame. We got double digit skilled players and we made it to round 2 once in decades

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
The value he brings to a team is factually underrated, it's too bad this fan base doesn't see it....all hockey people do see it. Crazy to think that a player that does so much of the little things, and plays the hardest minutes gets no love, a shame. We got double digit skilled players and we made it to round 2 once in decades
Its not a matter of an appreciation for what Cirelli brings, most every night. We all see it and appreciate it, so don't think otherwise. As I've read it and heard it expressed here for quite awhile now, the issue is strictly, and exclusively, what he's paid and it's impact on the CAP. If his contract was say $4-$5M a year, it would be totally different discussions.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Its not a matter of an appreciation for what Cirelli brings, most every night. We all see it and appreciate it, so don't think otherwise. As I've read it and heard it expressed here for quite awhile now, the issue is strictly, and exclusively, what he's paid and it's impact on the CAP. If his contract was say $4-$5M a year, it would be totally different discussions.
So a player that plays the 4th most FWD mins, top PK, against other teams top line, and pitches in 45 pts a year, not including the success he helped achieved in 3 Cup finals is only worth $4-$5 mil? The biggest problem with fans is not realizing a players value beyond G&A. Not to mention judging a player in Yr1 of an 8 yr contract, and proved himself beyond his contract the 6 yrs prior. A year in which he hit his highest offensive numbers with a transitioning team with a carousel of linemates, and a struggling defense.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So a player that plays the 4th most FWD mins, top PK, against other teams top line, and pitches in 45 pts a year, not including the success he helped achieved in 3 Cup finals is only worth $4-$5 mil? The biggest problem with fans is not realizing a players value beyond G&A. Not to mention judging a player in Yr1 of an 8 yr contract, and proved himself beyond his contract the 6 yrs prior. A year in which he hit his highest offensive numbers with a transitioning team with a carousel of linemates, and a struggling defense.

If this were actually true there wouldn't be broad swaths of this fanbase with a hard on for Yanni Gourde and his 35-45 pts.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He doesn't drive offense on a consistent basis. We've known that since his junior days in Oshawa. It's nothing special in the O zone

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He doesn't drive offense on a consistent basis. We've known that since his junior days in Oshawa. It's nothing special in the O zone

45 points with Stamkos on your wing is a problem. He's good at what he does, but we're counting on offense out of our second line and like you said, he doesn't generate any.

Maybe with new wingers something will click, if he can do the dirty work on that line it'll be well worth it, but they didn't generate much 5v5 last year.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
If this were actually true there wouldn't be broad swaths of this fanbase with a hard on for Yanni Gourde and his 35-45 pts.
Please tell me how Yanni Gourde is anywhere near the comparable player to Cirelli, it's not even close. That's more telling on how this fanbase doesn't understand real value of a player. Has Gourde ever been top 5 in selke voting twice before the age of 25? Has Yanni ever been used consistently against the other teams top lines? And Gourde is past his prime, Cirelli is still reaching his prime

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Has he ever been utilized as an offensive player in Tampa, or has he been consistently been used against the best offensive players in the league. In the Atlantic he is facing Mathews, Pastarnak, Barkov, etc and the best of the best every night...every time they are on the ice, do you really think a players mindset is to score goals, or keep the puck out of the net?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Please tell me how Yanni Gourde is anywhere near the comparable player to Cirelli, it's not even close. That's more telling on how this fanbase doesn't understand real value of a player. Has Gourde ever been top 5 in selke voting twice before the age of 25? Has Yanni ever been used consistently against the other teams top lines? And Gourde is past his prime, Cirelli is still reaching his prime

Oh I see, you're here to shit on Lightning fans.

I didn't say Gourde was the same caliber, I said he's well liked for his defensive play despite not being an offensive force, as you suggested. You can show yourself out now

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Oh I see, you're here to shit on Lightning fans.

I didn't say Gourde was the same caliber, I said he's well liked for his defensive play despite not being an offensive force, as you suggested. You can show yourself out now
Not shitting on anyone actually, just can't understand how players are valued by fans and this doesn't make any sense...Gourdes defensive game is nowhere near Cirelli's but he is more well liked?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Pretty sure that’s Cirelli’s Zio or something. Not the first time he’s come to defend him.
Enjoyed watching him in Oshawa, watched his game grow at junior and obviously great run in 2015...just a big fan of Tony

Oh I see, you've got nude photos of Tony hanging on your wall. I can forgive a little bit of zealotry, carry on

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We have 2nd line issues because of Cirelli, trade him for Zegras or Cozens who actually have vision and you'd be fine sticking a cheap plug on the RW. The biggest reason we're discussing another "top-6" forward so badly is because of Mr. Vanilla at center.

Vatrano, Zegras for Perbix and Cirelli and there's your elite 2nd line.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, it remains fairly clear that Cirelli is valued, at least for now, as a key piece of the top 6 and the core. He isn't being traded this summer imo unless some team calls up JBB with a laughable overpay(which is very unlikely). Hopefully he can continue to improve offensively and reach 25 goals and 50 or so points while maintaining his usual high level of defensive play. If Tampa can get Vatrano, Sprong, or another solid RW to play with him.and one of Hagel or Guentzel, all the better. Either way, I wouldn't expect Cirelli to be moved any time soon, and by next summer, Tampa's 2C will be taking up less than 7% of cap space, and it only gets better after that.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Nice to see this season's "player to be blamed for everything bad" is being identified so early and clearly that even fans of other teams can see it.

Well done folks, well done.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Oh I see, you've got nude photos of Tony hanging on your wall. I can forgive a little bit of zealotry, carry on
He comes here in the summer and gives the usual bullshit about how Tampa fans don't know hockey because how we perceive Cirelli. He gets proven wrong while acting like he knows our team better than this sub and then stomps off like "okay, I'm just here saying Cirelli would be great on Toronto, you guys are lucky, should suck him off, but I'll leave."

He's done this two summers in a row now. It's a weird fetish to have tbh.

Nahh..we got dumb fans in Toronto, and way more :cool:
We can tell.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Nice to see this season's "player to be blamed for everything bad" is being identified so early and clearly that even fans of other teams can see it.

Well done folks, well done.
Pretty sure Cirelli has been that player for quite a few on this board for several seasons now unfortunately.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're forgetting our favorable tax situation.

Gourde did take over as the shutdown center on the way to, I think, the first cup. Or maybe both.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
We have 2nd line issues because of Cirelli, trade him for Zegras or Cozens who actually have vision and you'd be fine sticking a cheap plug on the RW. The biggest reason we're discussing another "top-6" forward so badly is because of Mr. Vanilla at center.

Vatrano, Zegras for Perbix and Cirelli and there's your elite 2nd line.

“Mr vanilla” sucks but he gets Zegras and Vatrano value ina trade?

We had a top 6 issue because Stamkos has no chemistry with anybody.. sucked at ES terrible defensively and had how many plays die on his stick? Cirelli Is so bad Stamkos couldn’t get his spot at C back?

so funny that people see what they want to see and can’t change their mind. Bunch of mindless pigeons repeating the same thing about.. Jeannot, Cirelli & Stamkos. Really embarrassing

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
“Mr vanilla” sucks but he gets Zegras and Vatrano value ina trade?

We had a top 6 issue because Stamkos has no chemistry with anybody.. sucked at ES terrible defensively and had how many plays die on his stick? Cirelli Is so bad Stamkos couldn’t get his spot at C back?

so funny that people see what they want to see and can’t change their mind. Bunch of mindless pigeons repeating the same thing about.. Jeannot, Cirelli & Stamkos. Really embarrassing
Anthony Cirelli ES Stats:
2021-2022: 13g, 21a 18mins TOI, +15, FO% 47
2022-2023: 8g, 17a 16mins TOI, +13, FO% 51
2023-2024: 15, 21a 18mins TOI, +2, FO% 49

Steven Stamkos ES Stats:
2021-2022: 26g, 44a 18mins TOI, +24, FO% 51
2022-2023: 20g, 29a 19mins TOI, -5, FO% 54
2023-2024: 21g, 20a 18mins TOI, -21, FO% 56

There is no doubt Stamkos had issues with linemates over the years to get going but MSL and Kucherov were the only gifted playmakers that have come through at an elite level to match an elite shot. Not really here to debate whether people find that as a deficiency or not but I imagine people in Washington aren't expecting Ovechkin to be the playmaker nor is the focus on Matthews to defer shots. Stamkos evolved over the years and has still been a PPG player without a 5v5 playmaker like those two (Kuch, MSL). Again, people can say what they'd like about that but if you are saying he sucked at ES, had no chemistry, and plays died on his stick, then how did he outscore Cirelli at ES? What does that make Cirelli then?

You can have a difference of opinions on players, their utilization, and purpose on the team but if the metric around these parts is to constantly shit on Stamkos, I guess I find it "so funny that people see what they want to see and can't change their mind." Stamkos is not Bergeron. The defensive side of his game has been lacking for a while, that's not new. On the other hand, Cirelli has had two seasons out of seven in this league that is by and large carrying his aura of being Bergeron lite. Another point that I see tossed around is that if you critique a player and polarize his deficiencies, you're tied to him having no value. I would have traded Cirelli before letting Stamkos walk and found a playmaker. I'm not sold on him like others are, but it doesn't mean he has no value or other GMs wouldn't line up for him. He's a good player. I don't think he's 6.25M good nor do I think he can drive a line on his own. I see three guys that can on this roster - Hagel, Point and Kucherov - and no, Stamkos didn't either, he's a passenger who needed a playmaker.

Cirelli is the better defensive player, but he's incredibly vanilla offensively. He's good for 40-50pts and has a chance to step it up this year and show he can take the reigns without the lowly, horrible defensive boat anchor that outscored him at ES in Stamkos. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad