Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Kind of late to the game with the Ziemmer discussion, but this guy was drawing a good amount of hype as a mid 3rd round pick during last years camp. He has already put up pretty strong statistical numbers in the WHL in his age 17, 18 and 19 seasons, so it seems a bit off that he returns to major-junior to play a fourth season, as an overager.

I realize he is a post 9/15 b-day and thus a little bit younger than most oa players, but its a bit disappointing to return a pretty high draft pick for an overage year competing against 16-19 year olds. There have certainly been some exceptions (Sean Durzi is one notable recent one), but historically, drafted players playing major junior in their age 20 seasons have not produced strong long-term results at the NHL level, and why many teams don't go down that route with their prospects.

Looking at Ontario's likely roster, it seems like there should have been no issue fitting a 20 year old player taken in the middle of the 3rd onto that roster.

Last edited:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Kind of late to the game with the Ziemmer discussion, but this guy was drawing a good amount of hype as a mid 3rd round pick during last years camp. He has already put up pretty strong statistical numbers in the WHL in his age 17, 18 and 19 seasons, so it seems a bit off that he returns to major-junior to play a fourth season, as an overager.

I realize he is a post 9/15 b-day and thus a little bit younger than most oa players, but its a bit disappointing to return a pretty high draft pick for an overage year competing against 16-19 year olds. There have certainly been some exceptions (Sean Durzi is one notable recent one), but historically, drafted players playing major junior in their age 20 seasons have not produced strong long-term results at the NHL level, and why many teams don't go down that route with their prospects.

Looking at Ontario's likely roster, it seems like there should have been no issue fitting a 20 year old player taken in the middle of the 3rd onto that roster.
100% Agree.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Except the fact that he only played 24 games during his age 19 year, still is 19 doesn't turn 20 to December etc, not sure if the AHL is where you want him finding his game back.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Re ziemmer it seems more like it’s about injury and recovery than anything else

At least that’s the optimist in me

But I'm with @King'sPawn about the handling, it's reminiscent of Clarke, just so goofy 4D chess. I have zero problem with him actually going down, but the jerking around is so weird. But yeah, Koehn wants to play like a dick, so go get healthy and stronger rather than coming off an ankle injury vs. men who want to take your lunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t believe the Kings would be accruing cap space if Kaliyev was on LTIR either. They would still be over the cap. It does open up the possibility of acquiring a player now as you mentioned with the temporary cap space.

The rumblings last week were that Blake was looking to acquire a 4C which makes sense- you know it has to be KILLING him that two under-25yo’s are on the same line in Turcotte/Thomas. If there is a move, I’d expect it to be one that allows them to send one of those two to the press box indefinitely.
The 4c stuff was started by Bernstein speculating. He was very clear it wasn’t based on any inside info or similar, yet other outlets still then turned it into a rumour.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Re ziemmer it seems more like it’s about injury and recovery than anything else

At least that’s the optimist in me

But I'm with @King'sPawn about the handling, it's reminiscent of Clarke, just so goofy 4D chess. I have zero problem with him actually going down, but the jerking around is so weird. But yeah, Koehn wants to play like a dick, so go get healthy and stronger rather than coming off an ankle injury vs. men who want to take your lunch.
How has he been jerked around (completely agree that Clarke was). He was with the Kings, then was with the Reign for 7 days (give or take), that’s it. He wanted an opportunity to stick, was given that opportunity and then got sent down. I just don’t see the issue in this case, nothing like Clarke at all. It’s been a pretty linear and direct process with him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How has he been jerked around (completely agree that Clarke was). He was with the Kings, then was with the Reign for 7 days (give or take), that’s it. He wanted an opportunity to stick, was given that opportunity and then got sent down. I just don’t see the issue in this case, nothing like Clarke at all. It’s been a pretty linear and direct process with him.
I'll try not to belabor the point at least from my side anymore, because ultimately, what's done is done and I don't think it was a "bad" decision. I just question the reasoning.

- if it was due to fitness, an extra week with the AHL won't move the needle a lot. Especially when he missed so much time to injury.
- if it was a genuine attempt to give him a chance to make the Reign, he played in their one preseason game (after playing a preseason game with half the Kings early in preseason). He wasn't as good as the season before, but I don't think he was "not good enough for the AHL" bad.
- no takesy backsies on their decision for the next 6+ months, at least, if by some odd twist of fate PG is eliminated from the playoffs in March

So, to me, it seems like their minds were more made up early in training camp. Which is fine, but they also didn't use all avenues for either reasoning. So, just say it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'll try not to belabor the point at least from my side anymore, because ultimately, what's done is done and I don't think it was a "bad" decision. I just question the reasoning.

- if it was due to fitness, an extra week with the AHL won't move the needle a lot. Especially when he missed so much time to injury.
- if it was a genuine attempt to give him a chance to make the Reign, he played in their one preseason game (after playing a preseason game with half the Kings early in preseason). He wasn't as good as the season before, but I don't think he was "not good enough for the AHL" bad.
- no takesy backsies on their decision for the next 6+ months, at least, if by some odd twist of fate PG is eliminated from the playoffs in March

So, to me, it seems like their minds were more made up early in training camp. Which is fine, but they also didn't use all avenues for either reasoning. So, just say it.

Just say what...Curious what you want them to say or clarify

The reason why Ziemer was kept a week up, in AHL/NHL vs being sent to Juniors? Genuinely asking, because to be truthful, I don't really care why, it could be one of a dozen reasons, some being on the edge of none of my business at all (they want Ziemer to change his training/eating/health habits, so they wanted to give him more time with their professional staff to instill a regiment that he is comfortable with) to they wanted to give him more up tempo practices etc....

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
I’m excited because doughty isn’t playing tbh because he is a waste of space at this point regardless of how good he still is
I'm sorry but what the f***? Doughty is most definitely not a waste of space. Dude tanks almost more minutes than anyone in the league. We're not talking about a Michael Del Zotto here...

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I understand the query. It’s just that even if we don’t agree/understand I don’t see it as particularly negative impact keeping him around. Even if the benefits aren’t all that clear to us.

Personally I think it was right to keep him around the pro’s for as long as it made sense to. That bit ‘makes sense’ is incredibly subjective and will be specific to every individual. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of us have the insight to give an informed view. However , I don’t see any real parallels to the dumb shit with Clarke.

I’m sure someone informed will open up on it at some stage (probably Yannetti) so it’ll be interesting to learn what the process was. Even if we have a wait of months….

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just say what...Curious what you want them to say or clarify

The reason why Ziemer was kept a week up, in AHL/NHL vs being sent to Juniors? Genuinely asking, because to be truthful, I don't really care why, it could be one of a dozen reasons, some being on the edge of none of my business at all (they want Ziemer to change his training/eating/health habits, so they wanted to give him more time with their professional staff to instill a regiment that he is comfortable with) to they wanted to give him more up tempo practices etc....
Just say that he wasn't able to get in shape (most likely from the injury) and he had an underwhelming training camp. And the plan from the get-go was to spend more time with him before sending him to juniors.

It just sounds insincere to say "we want to give him an opportunity to train with the pros and give him a chance to make the Reign."

It's subtle, but I don't like the pretense of opportunity if a decision was already made. Especially considering how a similar decision was made with Clarke the year before last, and they kept dragging it out.

It's not the same as Clarke, but they have made some odd micromanagerial choices in the past. I'm not comfortable accepting explanations from them when they keep players who arguably could have played pro a little longer, only to send them down to a lesser league.

And if fitness IS the sole reason, to me, that only tells me he should have stayed up more to continue training with the pros. And then we get into the question - if they sent him down to the WHL to not burn a year off, is that decision made in the best interest of the player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad