Another fight after a clean hit (Brad Stuart obliterates Pietrangelo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
So Stewart leaves the bench, doesn't go towards the puck carrier, but goes and starts a fight in which he earned the instigator. Apparently the part of rule 70 about leaving the bench during a legal line change for the sole intention of starting a fight is just for the pre-season.

Shanahan is just as inconsistent as Campbell. Michalek, this play, just to name two very recent ones.

zico20

Nov 7, 2011
Stuart makes a good clean hit.

Hes not a complete non fighter but pretty close too it, hes at the end of a shift and a very good fighter comes on and beats him up when hes dead tired.

Congrats Chris Stewart you cost your team the game, props to Brad Stuart for being on the ice for a minute and still dropping them.

How do you figure it cost us the game? The Blues basically NEVER win in Detroit. We were going to lose no matter what. Sometimes a play like that really brings a team together. Not saying the Blues are not a close team now, but this could really bond the team. There are numerous examples you hear in all sports where one single moment brings a team together or sets them on a long winning streak. Yes, the Blues are having a great season but hopefully they can build on this incident.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Detroit fans are always so shocked to see a team that actually sticks up for each other. When was the last a detroit player did that?

I have no problem with a team doing that if the hit is illegal. But legal hits should go free. That's a part of the game. Even if they think it might be illegal, take it after the play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How do you figure it cost us the game? The Blues basically NEVER win in Detroit. We were going to lose no matter what. Sometimes a play like that really brings a team together. Not saying the Blues are not a close team now, but this could really bond the team. There are numerous examples you hear in all sports where one single moment brings a team together or sets them on a long winning streak. Yes, the Blues are having a great season but hopefully they can build on this incident.

Well your example seems to point to exactly what happened for Detroit. It seemed to shock them and band them together tighter. That incident along with Datsyuk then trying to hammer Matt D'Agostini seemed to light a fire under the Wings. You also have to consider that you might just band together your toughest competition in the division.

The Wings did a lot of talking about how they outhit and out willed the previously thought much tougher Blues over the back half the game. Dangerous as the last team of skilled players in Detroit that got this hostile towards a team I can remember in recent memory is their feelings about the Ducks and Avs. They can play physical and it seems angering them usually has a counter productive result over the years. They now view the Blues as true rivals because of some of the games they have played this year and I would argue also the embarrassment the Blues handed them last year at home in March has factored into their feelings. This might be welcomed news in St. Louis that they have reached a certain level of respect. But, it is worth pointing out when the Wings have gotten this fired up about playing a team over the last 20 years it usually doesn't mean good things for the opposition.

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI
Anybody that thinks Stewy will get SD is delusional.

He made a legal line change, I don't get what you don't understand about that. He never jumped on the ice just to go after him, the team made a line change, a legal one so I don't understand why you keep thinking he will be suspended.

If Stuart didn't want to fight, he didn't have to. Wings fans just don't understand this, they think Stewart forced him into fighting, he could of tucked his tail between his legs and ran away like Detroit does quite often, but he wanted to fight just as bad as Stewart so Stewy decided to whoop his ass.

You clearly have no knowledge of the rules. I know you are just trolling because the Blues took a whooping in every facet of the game, but let me set you straight on yet another one of your whiny tirades, again.

First of all, he got on the ice with one intention, to fight Stuart. The fact that it was on a legal line change does not matter here. He still could be subject to discipline. Again, the legal line change does not matter, if he makes a direct line to a player for the purpose of starting a fight. This is written in the NHL Rule Book. There is no arguing this fact.

Second, nice shot at the Wings, but they stood their ground last night when the Blues tried to intimidate them, I didn't see any running away at all.

Third, Stuart did not want to fight. He was at the end of a long shift and said after the game was not pleased with the timing of the fight. If it would've been a shift later I am sure he would've been willing to go. (Fighters have a code, and not going after a guy after a long shift is a part of that.)

Since you probably cannot understand anything I have describe here, take a look at this video. It is exactly the same thing Stewart does, the only difference is Stuart did drop his gloves. However Shanny never states anything about he other players actions, only the one who left the bench.

Please watch this before you respond in a childish and ridiculing manner, it should clear up why people think he may get a couple games.

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI
So Stewart leaves the bench, doesn't go towards the puck carrier, but goes and starts a fight in which he earned the instigator. Apparently the part of rule 70 about leaving the bench during a legal line change for the sole intention of starting a fight is just for the pre-season.

Shanahan is just as inconsistent as Campbell. Michalek, this play, just to name two very recent ones.

Why? Have they said there absolutely will not be SD?

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
Detroit fans are always so shocked to see a team that actually sticks up for each other. When was the last a detroit player did that?

The Wings are more concerned with winning games than trying to look tough. St. Louis defended their guy then got dominated the rest of the game.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
There are a lot of whiny wings fans. Your team won the game be happy. The hit was a high hit. It may have been a legal hit but it was high. It looked like he followed through with his arms to. Which in real time could have been seen as an attempted elbow. The players on the bench don't get to see replays like we do. They see a high hit they see as questionable they respond.

Stewart has been struggling to score. It's nice to see him contribute in another way. It's nice to see that he cares about his teammates. Stewart played with a lot more intensity after the fight. Hopefully that may be the thing that sparks his play from here on out. I'm okay with the lose if it sparks Stewart for the rest of the season.

Stuart was a willing combatant in the fight. He actually dropped his gloves first. He has the choice to skate away. He didn't. Stewart took the extra 2 minutes with a game misconduct. Let it go quit crying.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
The Wings are more concerned with winning games than trying to look tough. St. Louis defended their guy then got dominated the rest of the game.

If by dominated you mean it was a close game until the Blues took a dumb penalty late in the game costing them a power play goal then I agree......

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
Aka softest team in the league and a fanbase to match that attitude

The object of the NHL is to win, which Detroit has done better than any other team over the last 15 years or so. It's alright to be jealous. LOL @ someone from Orlando calling Detroit fans soft. Come to Detroit sometime.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
There are a lot of whiny wings fans. Your team won the game be happy. The hit was a high hit. It may have been a legal hit but it was high. It looked like he followed through with his arms to. Which in real time could have been seen as an attempted elbow. The players on the bench don't get to see replays like we do. They see a high hit they see as questionable they respond.

Stewart has been struggling to score. It's nice to see him contribute in another way. It's nice to see that he cares about his teammates. Stewart played with a lot more intensity after the fight. Hopefully that may be the thing that sparks his play from here on out. I'm okay with the lose if it sparks Stewart for the rest of the season.

Stuart was a willing combatant in the fight. He actually dropped his gloves first. He has the choice to skate away. He didn't. Stewart took the extra 2 minutes with a game misconduct. Let it go quit crying.

You seemed to be confused. St. Louis fans are the ones crying over this, just go look at the thread from the last game on their board. People going on about a high hit, complaining about the instigator penalty, Stuart's fight strap not being tied down, ect.

Stewart skated off the bench with the intention of jumping Stuart and that's exactly what he did. Maybe if St. Louis concentrated on actually playing hockey, instead of avenging every hit they could manage to beat Detroit.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Another way as jump starting the Wings?

High hit =/= dirty hit. The hit was clean. If the Wings did the same thing, I'd be annoyed witht hem as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How do you figure it cost us the game? The Blues basically NEVER win in Detroit. We were going to lose no matter what.
No the blues were all over Detroit, that fight sparked the wings big time not to mention scoring on the PP that Stewart gave them. Yeah Im a wings fan I know how fights can affect a team by bonding them together, but its not like this was some late 90s wings avs **** going on, this was a guy fighting at a bad time in the game over a clean hit. It did cost them the game
LOL @ someone from Orlando calling Detroit fans soft. Come to Detroit sometime.

:nod:

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The object of the NHL is to win, which Detroit has done better than any other team over the last 15 years or so. It's alright to be jealous. LOL @ someone from Orlando calling Detroit fans soft. Come to Detroit sometime.
First of all im not from Orlando but im sure any city in Ukraine is much tougher than the suburb 30 min from Detroit you may live. Detroit win cups when they have toughness on the roster (Kocur, Mcarty etc) Jealous? Id rather watch ice capades than the crap turn the other cheek diving foolishness you think is hockey. Bettman and fight hating leageu love them and rewards them with extra pp's

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And abuse and intimidate the poor helpless Wings which brings equal pleasure. We won a cup as well as smashing your team physically

So you're a Ducks fan???

The Wings are far from the softest team in the league. They finish checks and take abuse to make plays, taking a hit to make a play as almost all NHL coaches point out is a sign of toughness. There is a lot more to hockey than fighting, when it comes to who is soft and who isn't.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
First of all im not from Orlando but im sure any city in Ukraine is much tougher than the suburb 30 min from Detroit you may live. Detroit win cups when they have toughness on the roster (Kocur, Mcarty etc) Jealous? Id rather watch ice capades than the crap turn the other cheek diving foolishness you think is hockey. Bettman and fight hating leageu love them and rewards them with extra pp's

Really depends I would wager a large sum that there are parts of Ukraine that are much nicer than areas around Pontiac which is 20 to 30 minutes north. Flint is 45 minutes north and I would also venture to guess you would rather grow up in areas of the Ukraine than there either.

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
you want to hit someone hard, you better be ready to back yourself up, tough play attracts tough play, clean or not, if you hit someone clean like a freight train, you might just pizz off the opponent, and in a man's game that might mean you will have to fight, this is hockey, not figure skating ringette

getting really tired of all the people that seem to have only been watching hockey for less than a dozen or two years complaining about fighting :shakehead

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI
If by dominated you mean it was a close game until the Blues took a dumb penalty late in the game costing them a power play goal then I agree......

If you are a fan of hockey you should be able to tell that a team can dominate and it doesn't show up on the scoreboard, especially if you are a fan of the Blues. Wings controlled the pace of the game after Stewarts fight and that game could have huge implications on the standings at the end of the year.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Stuart with a clean hit. Continues his shift and is about at the end when Stewart comes off the bench and forces him into a fight. Big thumbs down for Stewart here.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Stuart will think twice before running Petro. I like the message Stewart sent, "you mess with our star players, you are going to get your ass kicked".

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think Stuart will think twice before running Petro. I like the message Stewart sent, "you mess with our star players, you are going to get your ass kicked".

Stuart will not think twice. He would've thrown that same hit later in the game. He doesn't get intimidated, he can hold his own in most fights. Was at the end of a pretty long shift and Stewart was fresh.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
you want to hit someone hard, you better be ready to back yourself up, tough play attracts tough play, clean or not, if you hit someone clean like a freight train, you might just pizz off the opponent, and in a man's game that might mean you will have to fight, this is hockey, not figure skating ringette

getting really tired of all the people that seem to have only been watching hockey for less than a dozen or two years complaining about fighting :shakehead

Why can't people get this? It's a contact sport, but if you obliterate a star player, you're going to have to fight. If you obliterate Zenon Konopka, that's fine, if you obliterate Erik Karlsson, you have to answer the bell. Why? Because our respective franchises are built around the star players, if your're going to level one of them, be prepared to fight. It's annoying as hell to see people complain about this all the time, get used to it, I'd be pretty annoyed if Karlsson got steamrolled and no one on the Sens thought enough of it to punch the guy who did it in the mouth. But then, the Sens aren't built to take it like pansies anymore (they used to), so thankfully 90% of the time Sens' fans don't have to worry about that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad