News Article: Andrew Ference and Tyler Seguin to Plant Trees in the Rainforest for Each Goal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Not to get all political but.. ference plants trees and hits you over the head with his greenness and people applaud him for it.. thomas doesn't go to a glorified media event for political reasons and he's an *******?.. god i love this country.

I don't live in your country but agree .. P.S who cares they make millons and they need to score goals so they will plant trees .. Man o man what happened to doing things without trying to get glory for it !!

Hate this stuff and always will ..

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
that someone would get up in arms about planting trees only gives credence to my ongoing treatise that some people are unconscionably childish

I don't get how a thread about planting trees in the rainforest turned political 5 posts in. :help:

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
Can't believe this is getting politicized like Thomas snubbing the event at the White House. They're planting trees, not donating money to family planning. Pretty apolitical to me.

For every goal scored Seguin will donate a seed....

There will be little Seguins all over Boston.

binder19

Mar 8, 2006
be cooler if it was donating to a charity that fed hungry people or kids or to an organization like the wounded warrior project etc. I guess its a nice thing to do but the reaction they get to an act like planting a tree in the rain forest makes me atleast :shakehead. :thumbu: (cool) is how I feel.

blazenlo

Oct 3, 2005
Maine
I've never seen such a negative reaction to someone doing something absolutely harmless to others and in fact beneficial to others. I don't follow any players personal life because I simply don't care what their doing away from the game. I do however love hearing about players giving back to the communities in which and they make a living or anywhere really. This is a great and actually important thing Ference is trying to do. Why you view it as a negative because he's using his sort of celebrity status to bring awareness to it is just insane to me.

Exactly what I was going to say!...well not as nicely done.:laugh:
WTG Ference! :handclap:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't live in your country but agree .. P.S who cares they make millons and they need to score goals so they will plant trees .. Man o man what happened to doing things without trying to get glory for it !!

Hate this stuff and always will ..

It appears you haven't been following this, so I'll fill you in.

Ference made a joke tweet (poking fun at himself) after the CBA negotiations were over.

Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle

For every NHL pass, a tree will be planted. Every NHL goal, a solar panel will be installed. Wait… what? Those proposals didn’t get in?!?

I'll repeat: It was a joke, a riff on his reputation as a tree-hugger.

Anyway, the website StanleyCupofChowder picked up on it, and sent out their own tweet:

StanleyCupofChowder ‏@cupofchowdah

Okay, @ferknuckle. We're ready for the season. For every goal you score, we'll plant 50 trees. http://plantabillion.org/ Get going. #Bruins

To reiterate: Ference made a joke. Somebody else picked up on it and issued a challenge. He didn't originate it, but he responded:

Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle

@cupofchowdah You guys are awesome! OK, I’ll match that offer but I’ve seen my career stats and will plant for @tylerseguin92 goals instead.

Since Ference scores about three goals per year, he'd donate a lot more by pledging Seguin's goal totals rather than his own.

StanleyCupOfChowder is now challenging its readers and fellow Bruins fans to get in on the pledging:

StanleyCupofChowder ‏@cupofchowdah

Okay, kids: it's time to officially make your #treesforgoals pledge. Go post it in the comments here: http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2013/1/9/3854902/treesforgoals-needs-organization …

So to sum up, StanleyCupofChowder has taken a throwaway joke and turned it into a fundraiser for planting trees. I ask you: How is that not terrific? Because Ference will get "glory" for it? What "glory"?

That's one of the great things about twitter. Jokes and casual back and forth can turn into something bigger (and better) in the blink of an eye. A few months back, Ference challenged Patrick Burke via twitter to join the November project. Burke said he'd do so if his followers donated to You Can Play. By the time 48 hours had gone by, more than $3,000 had been collected! (And I doubt Burke thinks he covered himself with "glory" by running the steps at Harvard Stadium, but that's another story.)

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
no, you see, the dude told tim thomas, pbuh, that he should recycle, therefore he is crap

how dare he try and push his lieberal agenda

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Tell Dick Nixon that. Founded EPA.

It all started with that commie pinko tree hugger Teddy Roosevelt and his pagan Arbor Day.

Seriously people, grow up. He's actually doing something, not just yammering on Facebook. And by the way, Andy has worked on behalf of the Wounded Warrior project too. Guy spreads it around. dredeye nailed it.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
be cooler if it was donating to a charity that fed hungry people or kids or to an organization like the wounded warrior project etc. I guess its a nice thing to do but the reaction they get to an act like planting a tree in the rain forest makes me atleast :shakehead. :thumbu: (cool) is how I feel.

Just FYI, Ference does a lot of charity work, including work for You Can Play and Right to Play. He is a mensch of the highest order.

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North
It appears you haven't been following this, so I'll fill you in.

Ference made a joke tweet (poking fun at himself) after the CBA negotiations were over.

I'll repeat: It was a joke, a riff on his reputation as a tree-hugger.

Anyway, the website StanleyCupofChowder picked up on it, and sent out their own tweet:

To reiterate: Ference made a joke. Somebody else picked up on it and issued a challenge. He didn't originate it, but he responded:

Since Ference scores about three goals per year, he'd donate a lot more by pledging Seguin's goal totals rather than his own.

StanleyCupOfChowder is now challenging its readers and fellow Bruins fans to get in on the pledging:

So to sum up, StanleyCupofChowder has taken a throwaway joke and turned it into a fundraiser for planting trees. I ask you: How is that not terrific? Because Ference will get "glory" for it? What "glory"?

That's one of the great things about twitter. Jokes and casual back and forth can turn into something bigger (and better) in the blink of an eye. A few months back, Ference challenged Patrick Burke via twitter to join the November project. Burke said he'd do so if his followers donated to You Can Play. By the time 48 hours had gone by, more than $3,000 had been collected! (And I doubt Burke thinks he covered himself with "glory" by running the steps at Harvard Stadium, but that's another story.)

This is so interesting BLAH BLAH BLAH I want to plant trees :sarcasm: zzzzz They're millionaires just do it cause ..not cause there challenged or some other BS and I don't need a Mediaholic telling me what was said on Twitter think it's time for a MA meeting :help:

I was clear in my first post that I hate this stuff and always will !!

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
And Ference has talked about his friendship/association with various veterans groups over the years. He's one of the Bruins who donates tickets for veterans to attend on Military Appreciation Night.

Bruins 54

Nov 20, 2010
Not to get all political but.. ference plants trees and hits you over the head with his greenness and people applaud him for it.. thomas doesn't go to a glorified media event for political reasons and he's an *******?.. god i love this country.

Couldn't agree with you more ....

It just proves the whole thing about Timmy was political and not a locker room thing ... shame, shame the way he has been treated after bringing the Bruins a Stanley Cup ...

member 96824

**** this...Im cutting down 50 trees and sending them through a woodchipper just out of spite for every goal seguin scores.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I've never seen such a negative reaction to someone doing something absolutely harmless to others and in fact beneficial to others. I don't follow any players personal life because I simply don't care what their doing away from the game. I do however love hearing about players giving back to the communities in which and they make a living or anywhere really. This is a great and actually important thing Ference is trying to do. Why you view it as a negative because he's using his sort of celebrity status to bring awareness to it is just insane to me.

At what pointnting trees is a bad thing? do tell? Everytime you see ferences name its attached to something political.. carbon foot printing all that stuff has been politicized. I was making that connection to what thomas was roasted for for most of the second half of last year.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
The people who complain about celebrities 'bragging' about doing things for charity tend not to realize that they do it to bring attention to the charity and not themselves. It's a narrow-minded, knee-jerk reaction to fame or wealth.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Since when did making a charitable contribution become such a terrible thing? This thread is sad.

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North
Ference went to Africa for Right to Play (as did Chara). He's not just writing checks.

I can't fathom someone "hating" charity work. I thought I'd seen it all on these boards. :shakehead

Just like a mediaholic putting words in my mouth . Yes charities suck that what I said :shakehead:help:

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
At what point*.. Seriously was it that hard of a connection to follow haha. Ferences politics good (and yes i don't have problem planting treees) and is talked about at great lengths.. thomas.. ******* for having a belief and not going to the white house. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad