Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Does it though? The new downtown arena sure might, but not one out in Kanata. Charging prices for parking that are worse than downtown Ottawa for 4 hours seems like a valid criticism to me.
Isn't it better than them clamouring for more fans to show up, like we have seen in the past?

We hear it time and again that the NHL is a gate driven league. This team has attendance issues and it needs to manage that by charging for parking (like every team on the planet does). We have a good owner who isn't a mega billionaire who just paid $1B for the franchise. Let him do what he needs so this team can keep hovering around the profit line.

That said, I'm happy to see the numbers that show if parking was slashed the team would still be turning a comfortable profit.

It's also worth noting that at $40 parking at CTC is on the low end of league average, from what a brief search shows. Is lot 9 even less than $40?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have no idea what you're talking about :p

But I do have a couple questions.

1) What popcorn bag?

2) why did you need to mention minimum wage? Was it meant as an insult for my friend who isn't here for a job he no longer has?

Very weird attempt at a chirp lol but all good.

I'm being incredibly silly, and you're making an incredibly weak attempt at an insult using minimum wage.

Were both not looking good. The difference is I'm doing it on purpose to be funny and I'm having a laugh. It's Saturday. It's all smiles.

You said this, did you not?

Also used to have a friend who worked there and would give us "popcorn specials" lol the giant popcorn buckets that would go to the boxes, but with 4 tall cans buried inside.

It wasn't an insult, jobs at concessions typically aren't high paying, that's all. An assumption based on your story. in the end, someone with the authority to give you 4 free beers isn't hiding them, hence why I would assume we aren't talking about someone up the ladder.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You said this, did you not?

It wasn't an insult, jobs at concessions typically aren't high paying, that's all. An assumption based on your story. in the end, someone with the authority to give you 4 free beers isn't hiding them, hence why I would assume we aren't talking about someone up the ladder.

Popcorn basket lol not bag. Those big jumbo things that they don't hand to regular fans. They're for the suites/boxes.

The bartender gets minimum wage too.

Do you never accept free stuff? Would you make sure the bartender has permission from the owner before accepting a beer from the bartender on the house?

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I found this link to the top 10 arenas:

I like Rogers Place and the T Mobile Arenas for their exterior views.
Some really cool designs there. Personally I always loved the American Airlines Centre.

My prediction for Lebreton is that it is heavily inspired and concealed by nature but juxtaposed by some kind of modern iconic feature. It will be an arena disguised as a park. Something that has contours that blend with the natural topography, a low and accessible roof line from certain angles, lots of surrounding green space to help it settle in, green roofs that make it disappear. I wonder if from Albert you'll even be able to see it at all. Parking will be all 'underground.' Not actually underground, but they'll build up hills to cover parking.

The architectural achievement will be how light of a footprint it has, how 'respectful' it is of the land. Instead of glitz and glam it's going to be humble and hidden. It will also be a very efficient use of land. This is where the partnership and handout from the NCC comes in. The NCC will drive most of this design and because it will incorporate so much green space, public space, multi use space (green roofs accessible at grade, usable space over parking, large green promenades that blend with adjoining spaces, public pathways) the NCC will justify kicking in because of how much it benefits their vision along with the carbon offset and contribution to their net zero gaols.

Instead of the 10 acres + being reserved exclusively for the Sens, much of it will become common land that will benefit the NCC and the City. This will align with their values of community and accessibility and couldld satisfy the Algonquin partnership angle. Bluesfest can relocate here, outdoor exhibits and other festivals will be held, public markets etc... The Sens will give up some sovereignty on how it is designed and used in exchange for the NCC financing and benefiting from a portion of it. The optics of a handout are thus managed with minimal public backlash.

So, instead of picturing some modern hyper urban arena that makes some big flashy architectural statement, picture... a park.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Isn't it better than them clamouring for more fans to show up, like we have seen in the past?

We hear it time and again that the NHL is a gate driven league. This team has attendance issues and it needs to manage that by charging for parking (like every team on the planet does). We have a good owner who isn't a mega billionaire who just paid $1B for the franchise. Let him do what he needs so this team can keep hovering around the profit line.

That said, I'm happy to see the numbers that show if parking was slashed the team would still be turning a comfortable profit.

It's also worth noting that at $40 parking at CTC is on the low end of league average, from what a brief search shows. Is lot 9 even less than $40?
I honestly don't know anymore, I haven't paid for parking for a few years. Last time I remember paying $25 for lot 9 and in the playoffs I paid $40 to park in the lot closest to the highway overpass.

Parking at the CTC just sucks in general. Don't know if it's fair to compare to the league average which most likely has heated parking in the same building as the ice rink.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I honestly don't know anymore, I haven't paid for parking for a few years. Last time I remember paying $25 for lot 9 and in the playoffs I paid $40 to park in the lot closest to the highway overpass.

Parking at the CTC just sucks in general. Don't know if it's fair to compare to the league average which most likely has heated parking in the same building as the ice rink.
Says $21 now

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad