Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No space with him down the middle... the way Domi played this year brought his value down...he had negative energy on the team... needed to be traded for more muscle and net presence.

We didn’t need a 30-40 point winger. Being a “big net presence” means nothing if you don’t have the numbers to back it up. This is a very poor trade. Like the Drouin trade, we somehow came out adding a pick on top of it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
See that's the problem. Instead of maximising Domi's value, MB pigeonholed himself by searching for a particular "fit" (muscle and net presence) for this broken roster. Anderson is a nice player and everything but has maaaajor question marks.

This trade has a high high potential of failing. I will count us very lucky if it works out in our favour. Here's hoping...

I get what you are saying that we should maybe have used Domi and add assets to trade for more talent. But I'm thinking his stock must have been too low to get a big fish like Laine. So Anderson was the only option. I'm guessing the 3rd pick was cause Anderson was in demand in the league.

As for Domi's potential, I just don't see anything happening in his area. More likely that he is gonna be traded a few more times.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
This trade reminds me of the Cammalleri vs Bourque trade.

Bourque was never expected to play up to Cammalleri’s level, however, part of the reason that the Habs traded for him was due to his size. Bourque didn’t have the scoring touch that Cammalleri had but his frame was what the Canadiens wanted.

Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself...
I pointed that earlier. This is Rene Bourque all over. Habs' fans will be fed up with him in 2 years and luckily he hits free agency and the Habs can get a pick for him, not just another washed up player.

Reactions: Miller Time

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
I get what you are saying that we should maybe have used Domi and add assets to trade for more talent. But I'm thinking his stock must have been too low to get a big fish like Laine. So Anderson was the only option. I'm guessing the 3rd pick was cause Anderson was in demand in the league.

As for Domi's potential, I just don't see anything happening in his area. More likely that he is gonna be traded a few more times.

I just see the whole thing as a major gamble. Is Anderson more likely to rebound with two banged up shoulders than Domi? If Domi's value was so low I would have just held on to him.

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
GEEEEZEEE USS... are we really concerned over the third round pick? Really? a third round pick .. If you dont like Anderson for Domi then fine.. but to complain about a third rounder? MB is gonna accumulate about 3 more of those by next yeas draft.
Ive heard a few people use the term before the Domi trade "If Anderson was so good, they wouldnt be trading him", Would the same not apply to Domi if that were true? these guys bring different elements at different positions.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I just see the whole thing as a major gamble. Is Anderson more likely to rebound with two banged up shoulders than Domi? If Domi's value was so low I would have just held on to him.

But his value would not have gotten better. He didn't want to play wing and we're set at center. It would have been another season on the fourth line.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I pointed that earlier. This is Rene Bourque all over. Habs' fans will be fed up with him in 2 years and luckily he hits free agency and the Habs can get a pick for him, not just another washed up player.

I'm far from certain of what Anderson's future contribution will look like. But this guy has nothing to do with Rene Bourque. Bourque was a slow big body who wouldn't want to play physical. Anderson is skating like the wind and playing like a beast.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
But his value would not have gotten better. He didn't want to play wing and we're set at center. It would have been another season on the fourth line.

Hard to predict that. I guess this trade like most is "wait and see." Again I 100% hope it works for us but I will be surprised if it does.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Josh Anderson is not Rene Bourque.

What are you guys talking about?

I don’t think we should’ve added a 3rd but I have no issues with the trade really. Anderson is a beast.

No, you're right... Bourque was significantly more established and proven in his career when he arrived in Mtl than Anderson is.

I think it's safe to say we all hope Josh has a considerably better post-trade career trajectory than Rene did lol

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Buy High
Sell low.

Sums this trade up nicely.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I liked a lot of things about Domi. Plays with passion, loves the city, great personality, stands up for teammates..all great stuff. However he can only excel at center and unfortunately for him he is behind Suz, KK and Danault. So we flip him and fill a desperate need up front. Love the trade and will probably be good for both teams.

Reactions: malcb33

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
f***. I am still adamant that Habs should have traded Danno not Domi. Not bad with Anderson who has big upside and size, but Domi has offence, Danno does not. I've said it before: Danno will be on the top line 2 months into next season. Where Domi could have been. Mark my words. f***. f***in Bergy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Habs Icing and LaP

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I liked the Weber trade from the start, though subby should have got a Center. That would have been even better. and It is not hindsight. I knew then it was a good trade. And I like this trade. Big big upside. Judging by how many people here were laughably wrong on the Subban trade, which I knew at the time, I have a hard time taking half these comments seriously. (I said little on the subby trade, as the bullying to anyone here who supported it was unreal.) My only problem is Danno should have gone, not Domi. Flame away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corky

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Reading this thread feels like Domi suddenly became a valuable player the minute he got traded. He had a great season 2 years ago, sure. But Julien couldn't even rely on him for the powerplay last season since he always chose the wrong play. Domi is a puck possession force and is good at even strength, but both are already Montreal's forces. They really needed more balance with size on the wings and Domi isn't a big price to pay given the circumstances. Also, who gives a shit about a 3rd round pick if it allows to fill a need?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
One thing that I like other than the obvious physical aspect is that Anderson shoots a fair amount and that's without ever having a lot of time on ice. His 230 shots in 18-19 would have been good for 2nd on the team (behind Gallagher) and 27 more than Domi that year.
I play in an intense pool every year, and my number 1 criteria for choosing a forward is SOG. And it works. Players who shoot a lot score. And create chances. It's simple. It is a huge factor. Another reason I like this trade.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Both shoulders eh? Yikes.

Domi has zero PP presence imo. But maybe he will look better with different teammates.
Yeah, shoulder is bad. Always chronic. Maybe he gets the Pitcher surgery? And Habs must have done their diligence on current health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad