Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Simone Biles put out a TV show where she personally walked us through her struggles.

It wasn't depression. It wasn't dealing with the loss of her mother. It wasn't drug addiction. It wasn't a serious mental health issue.
I think it kind of was for a gymnast. I know Biles compared it to the yips but the description of the twisties that I keep reading is that a gymnast loses their sense of spatial awareness in the middle of a move. Watching these people flip through the air at the speed and forces they exert, I don't know how you don't think that has serious implications or why you would think it's remotely safe or responsible for someone to play through that.

You can have your take that she was mentally weak, I guess, but removing herself from competition was the right thing to do on every level and I think you're just flat wrong to dismiss it as not serious.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think it kind of was for a gymnast. I know Biles compared it to the yips but the description of the twisties that I keep reading is that a gymnast loses their sense of spatial awareness in the middle of a move. Watching these people flip through the air at the speed and forces they exert, I don't know how you don't think that has serious implications or why you would think it's remotely safe or responsible for someone to play through that.

You can have your take that she was mentally weak, I guess, but removing herself from competition was the right thing to do on every level and I think you're just flat wrong to dismiss it as not serious.
Which also begs the question:

According to this logic, would it have been less of a failure for her to choose to compete in 2020 anyway, and then injured herself in the process? Even if this injury was potentially career ending?

I don't understand why something like this is treated any differently than if she had a broken leg. There was an issue identified that she deemed prohibitive to properly competing at a high level, so she bowed out. I do understand that this particular concern is not as black and white as taking an X-ray to confirm a leg fracture. But if there are degrees of physical injury (maybe it's ok to play through a sprained finger, but cracked ribs is a definite no-no), then why can't the mental aspect be evaluated along similar lines based on criteria of the sport and the nature and degree of mental difficulties?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
We are on a sports message board. We criticize athletes way better than us all the time. Personally, I have long since understood every comment comes along with an implied understanding that we are talking about their performance in relation to their peers and I don't need a disclaimer for that every time.

If you want to be childish and want me to copy/paste that disclaimer every time, fine, I guess I can do that. I can also be childish and look into that time *20 minutes* before you posted this to criticize Max Plante's decision making and skating and ask you what right you have to do that from your couch? Or how did your NHL career go?
The get off the couch reference is a barb at the guy you are parroting with your criticism of Biles.

But since you want to be literal about things; I'm pretty sure I came a hell of a lot closer to playing hockey at Plante's current level than you did in gymnastics at Biles' level. Only one of us is engaging in character assassination.

At least we both agree you can be childish:thumbu:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Geez, all I said was it was awesome watching Simone Biles in gymnastics since this will probably be her last Olympics and it got turned weird for no reason when someone said "Biles is weak", based off an appreciation post. That's just so weird and unneeded.

It's like saying Yzerman was a hell of a player for us and it was great watching him play and someone randomly saying, I'll never forgive him for blowing out his knee. Just weird and unneeded.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Geez, all I said was it was awesome watching Simone Biles in gymnastics since this will probably be her last Olympics and it got turned weird for no reason when someone said "Biles is weak", based off an appreciation post. That's just so weird and unneeded.

It's like saying Yzerman was a hell of a player for us and it was great watching him play and someone randomly saying, I'll never forgive him for blowing out his knee. Just weird and unneeded.
Why not just go back 2 pages and look what happened instead of making stuff up?

Pretty embarrassing looking back at those hot takes saying she was "weak" when she took her mental health break in Tokyo.
Is that not a prompt for discussion of the issue?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
The get off the couch reference is a barb at the guy you are parroting with your criticism of Biles.

But since you want to be literal about things; I'm pretty sure I came a hell of a lot closer to playing hockey at Plante's current level than you did in gymnastics at Biles' level. Only one of us is engaging in character assassination.

At least we both agree you can be childish:thumbu:
Who am I parroting? Why are you talking about somebody not involved in the discussion? Why not discuss the topic at hand with somebody in the conversation?

How am I engaging in character assassination? I'm criticizing Simone Biles' 2020 Olympic performance. That doesn't change who she is as a human being.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Only if you want out yourself as one of the dudes embarrassing themselves all over the internet, I guess...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
How am I engaging in character assassination? I'm criticizing Simone Biles' 2020 Olympic performance. That doesn't change who she is as a human being.
Technically you are not criticizing her performance because she did not perform. You are criticizing her decision to not perform, along with her reasoning and/or your perceived validity of said reasoning for that decision.

Reactions: RabidBadger

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Technically you are not criticizing her performance because she did not perform. You are criticizing her decision to not perform, along with her reasoning and/or your perceived validity of said reasoning for that decision.
Fair.

Yes, I am criticizing her for not being mentally ready. That is part of being an elite athlete. We criticize people for this all the time. You want to see character assassination? Go into a thread for one of the players that has a reputation of not living up to their physical potential for their mental side of the game.

And yes, I am criticizing her for baking out of the "championship" for fear of potential injury. Find me any other examples of this and I'll criticize them too (*keeping in mind that I am a weak little boy that would get my ass kicked by every one of them)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Fair.

Yes, I am criticizing her for not being mentally ready. That is part of being an elite athlete. We criticize people for this all the time. You want to see character assassination? Go into a thread for one of the players that has a reputation of not living up to their physical potential for their mental side of the game.

And yes, I am criticizing her for baking out of the "championship" for fear of potential injury. Find me any other examples of this and I'll criticize them too (*keeping in mind that I am a weak little boy that would get my ass kicked by every one of them)
Pretty much everyone to ever not compete due to an injury. The reason they don't just compete anyway is a "fear" of potential further injury. Just because you can't bandage sensory ailments doesn't mean they don't exist.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Lol wut?

My brother in arms. The conversation went "Simone Biles is a Beast (me)" then it very quickly and briefly went into "I can't believe people were calling her weak for her mental health crisis, how embarrassing, look at how strong she is", then some light ribbing since the guy she is with played for the Packers (ewww) and the Bears (ewwww). Lots of talk about pizza (yay!). The you brought up Walman which was followed by a whole lot of "huhs". Then you double downed, followed by more "what are you talking about", then you finished with "Simone Biles is weak and here's why".

There was no issue, you brought it up and really want to make some weird point like you're hyper fixated on proving something to a bunch of internet strangers. it's weird just like that one guy who doesn't believe women can coach men in skating because women have child bearing hips or some weird shit.

Simone Biles is a beast, it is amazing she over came her mental health struggles and won 4 medals in Paris. It's a testament to on how strong she is both mentally and physically.

Go Red Wings and Go USA! USWNT has a strong chance in the Gold Medal game, that should be an exciting game, lots of new faces on the team.

Reactions: RabidBadger

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Lol wut?

My brother in arms. The conversation went "Simone Biles is a Beast (me)" then it very quickly and briefly went into "I can't believe people were calling her weak for her mental health crisis, how embarrassing, look at how strong she is", then some light ribbing since the guy she is with played for the Packers (ewww) and the Bears (ewwww). Lots of talk about pizza (yay!). The you brought up Walman which was followed by a whole lot of "huhs". Then you double downed, followed by more "what are you talking about", then you finished with "Simone Biles is weak and here's why".

There was no issue, you brought it up and really want to make some weird point like you're hyper fixated on proving something to a bunch of internet strangers. it's weird just like that one guy who doesn't believe women can coach men in skating because women have child bearing hips or some weird shit.

Simone Biles is a beast, it is amazing she over came her mental health struggles and won 4 medals in Paris. It's a testament to on how strong she is both mentally and physically.

Go Red Wings and Go USA! USWNT has a strong chance in the Gold Medal game, that should be an exciting game, lots of new faces on the team.
Bench brought it up. He called an opinion I have embarrassing.

Am I not allowed to engage in a conversation or debate on a message board designed specifically for that because it is an opinion you disagree with?

It's the slowest time of year for hockey. I find this topic amusing. I'm sorry.

Simone Biles is a beast. It's kinda cool she overcame her struggles and won some more medals in Paris. It's a shame she came up so short in Tokyo

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Pretty much everyone to ever not compete due to an injury. The reason they don't just compete anyway is a "fear" of potential further injury. Just because you can't bandage sensory ailments doesn't mean they don't exist.
It seems that it is pretty widespread in the hockey world that we celebrate our players playing through injury and mock players in other sports when they sit out when they have comparably minor injuries. I stand by that.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It seems that it is pretty widespread in the hockey world that we celebrate our players playing through injury and mock players in other sports when they sit out when they have comparably minor injuries. I stand by that.
You can speak for you, and I'll speak for myself. Thanks.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And had Biles sat out for a hangnail, I'd be right there with you. The question then is what constitutes a significant impediment for the sport under discussion. Physical and mental demands in hockey are not the same in gymnastics, so you can't just do a one-for-one comparison across the board.

I mean, if I'm in professional fencing, I wonder why those dumb hockey players don't all wear face masks when nearly 25 percent of injuries are to the face or mouth. But it's not really fair to just superimpose my frame of reference without the proper additional context for the other sport.

Reactions: izlez

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bench brought it up. He called an opinion I have embarrassing.

UKQHpmv.png

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Clay Travis, eh? Is this really the guy you want to represent your takes? He's had some doozies. He said several hundred people would die from COVID in the US. Whoopies.

I just picked one. I don't give a hoot about gymnastics, nor do I think you will carry this discussion much further. Can you even name 5 female world champion gymnasts? I can't think of any GOAT who gave up on their team during the heat of battle, especially after self proclaiming their greatness. That said, I don't know her, can't name 3 athletes in this over promoted, nonsensical farce of a fleecing of tax dollars and have not, nor will I, watch a second of this nonsense.

As for Clay Travis, never heard of him. That said, if he claimed that many people would die from COVID he is just another talking head.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I just picked one. I don't give a hoot about gymnastics, nor do I think you will carry this discussion much further. Can you even name 5 female world champion gymnasts? I can't think of any GOAT who gave up on their team during the heat of battle, especially after self proclaiming their greatness. That said, I don't know her, can't name 3 athletes in this over promoted, nonsensical farce of a fleecing of tax dollars and have not, nor will I, watch a second of this nonsense.

As for Clay Travis, never heard of him. That said, if he claimed that many people would die from COVID he is just another talking head.
Well, I remember LeBron being taken out of a game for muscle lock, aka, cramping. So there's that.

However, that's really aside from the fact that people like you really need to put your grotesque notions aside that athletes need to compete even if their health and career are on the line. That's the backwards way of thinking that led many athletes to debilitating CTE and ruined, even ended lives.

This take is also ironic coming from people who probably called off work for a hangover and are throwing shade at what was an agonizing decision made by an all-time great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

And yet you felt confident enough that you're remotely qualified to weigh in on the topic at hand. Makes sense.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Someone just liked a post I posted on March 11, 2021, on page 2 of an 11 page thread.

I just thought you guys would enjoy knowing that.

Reactions: SoupNazi

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Well, I remember LeBron being taken out of a game for muscle lock, aka, cramping. So there's that.

However, that's really aside from the fact that people like you really need to put your grotesque notions aside that athletes need to compete even if their health and career are on the line. That's the backwards way of thinking that led many athletes to debilitating CTE and ruined, even ended lives.

This take is also ironic coming from people who probably called off work for a hangover and are throwing shade at what was an agonizing decision made by an all-time great.

OooohhhhhhhOK. You run with the gymnastics topic. I am sure it will be riveting. I care as much about her as I do Michael Phelps. Wait, are you going to go into some Phelps rant now? Sorry not well enough versed to know if he quite swimming during a relay race and, while still a GOAT cost his teammates glory and money. Remember who Krupp was glorified for his ... well, never mind. I'll return more interesting off topic subjects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad