Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
OooohhhhhhhOK. You run with the gymnastics topic. I am sure it will be riveting. I care as much about her as I do Michael Phelps. Wait, are you going to go into some Phelps rant now? Sorry not well enough versed to know if he quite swimming during a relay race and, while still a GOAT cost his teammates glory and money. Remember who Krupp was glorified for his ... well, never mind. I'll return more interesting off topic subjects.
Okay. Just try to make sense when you respond upon your triumphant return. The dialogue works better that way.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Okay. Just try to make sense when you respond upon your triumphant return. The dialogue works better that way.
What, you think it's nonsensical to repeatedly reply to a thread while simultaneously insisting that you don't care about the topic?

Oh wait. It turns out that I don't think it makes any sense either.

Reactions: RabidBadger

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Roger that. Heck, I thought the covid comment would have set you off but you must REALLY enjoy gymnastics. To each there own.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ahh yes. When you selectively choose 1 sentence and ignore the other 150 sentences, my point really does lack nuance.

Thanks for pointing that out
Is a single drop of water chemically different from an ocean? Is a small dose of the pot calling the kettle black somehow not as hypocritical as a larger one?

I never said you were completely devoid of nuance. I was simply pointing out that you committed the same infraction that you busted somebody else's chops about.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Any out of staters have strong preferences for Hulu Live TV vs YouTube TV? I’m leaning a little bit towards Hulu because it has the ESPN+ add on which would get me the Wings games, but I’m sure I’m not the first one to make this choice so I figured I’d tap into the brain trust here.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Any out of staters have strong preferences for Hulu Live TV vs YouTube TV? I’m leaning a little bit towards Hulu because it has the ESPN+ add on which would get me the Wings games, but I’m sure I’m not the first one to make this choice so I figured I’d tap into the brain trust here.

I can't compare the two, but I'm happy enough with YouTube TV. It does what it says on the tin. I'm not loyal to it or anything, though.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I have Disney+ which gets me ESPN+ and Hulu. The couple of games I've watched via Hulu were fine.

The only other content I've watched via Hulu was Shogun, which I really liked.

Dunno if any of that is relevant. :)

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
binged Joe Pera Talks With You for the first time over the weekend, bummed it got cancelled. Inspired me to get my keister up to Lake Superior this fall, though

• Love
Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
binged Joe Pera Talks With You for the first time over the weekend, bummed it got cancelled. Inspired me to get my keister up to Lake Superior this fall, though

It's pretty surreal watching that show for me. It's filmed where I grew up so it's a giant wave of nostalgia, in addition to it being a great show. Marquette is such a small, out of the way place, I lost my shit the first time I saw it on a TV show.

Watching it with my partner from Minnesota like...
"Oh man, that's where I used to play hockey!"
"Oh man, I lived on that street!"
"Oh man, that's where my dad worked!"
"Oh man, that's my favorite restaurant!"

Basically every episode is me doing this:

rick.jpg

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I kinda loved Freaks and Geeks for that reason. Because it's basically set in like Clinton Township, MI, town of Chippewa named after Chippewa Valley High School. The main character's dad has a (fictionial for this, of course) sporting goods store on Metro Parkway. and the bars and stuff they go to are known bars in the Mt. Clemens.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack

It's pretty surreal watching that show for me. It's filmed where I grew up so it's a giant wave of nostalgia, in addition to it being a great show. Marquette is such a small, out of the way place, I lost my shit the first time I saw it on a TV show.

Watching it with my partner from Minnesota like...
"Oh man, that's where I used to play hockey!"
"Oh man, I lived on that street!"
"Oh man, that's where my dad worked!"
"Oh man, that's my favorite restaurant!"

Basically every episode is me doing this:

rick.jpg
Sticktaps, my friend. I’ve never even been there before, but that show makes me super homesick for the U.P.. Also Nana’s cookies.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sticktaps, my friend. I’ve never even been there before, but that show makes me super homesick for the U.P.. Also Nana’s cookies.

Many kids from there can't wait to leave. It really says something when the nearest "city" is Green freakin' Bay and that's a 3 hour drive through the woods to get there. But it's not surprising so many end up going back. It truly is a special place.

The winters are kinda nuts, though. Snow like most folks have never seen.

What's interesting is Joe Pera isn't even from the UP, he's an upstate New York guy. When Pera wrote his show about a small town teacher, they asked where he wanted it located. He realized he could pick anywhere and have it be an excuse to spend time in a spot he loved and get paid to do it. I guess he'd been to Marquette before and loved it so that was his pick. And I'm so grateful he did, otherwise I wouldn't have that love letter to my birthplace.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I kinda loved Freaks and Geeks for that reason. Because it's basically set in like Clinton Township, MI, town of Chippewa named after Chippewa Valley High School. The main character's dad has a (fictionial for this, of course) sporting goods store on Metro Parkway. and the bars and stuff they go to are known bars in the Mt. Clemens.

I grew up in Clinton Township and didn’t know that’s where the show was based. I’m going to have to rewatch it.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I grew up in Clinton Township and didn’t know that’s where the show was based. I’m going to have to rewatch it.
Yep, the town's name is Chippewa after Chippewa Valley High School where the director Paul Feig graduated from.

A1 Sporting Goods on 16 mile road in Chippewa, MI. Fictional sporting goods store on Metropolitan Parkway (16 mile).

Also, the Rusty Nail in the show would be the current "The Nail" on Groesbeck Highway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad