Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
it's a suicide because of the count? (or the situation?)

I wasn't a suicide squeeze it was a safety squeeze. A squeeze is when you're trying to bunt the guy home from 3rd. Suicide when he's running on the pitch so if he doesn't get the bat on the ball the runner is DOA. The runner at 3rd waited to make sure he got the bat on the ball there so it was a safety squeeze

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands

In a suicide squeeze, the runner goes for home as soon as the pitch is released. It's called a suicide squeeze because he runner is dead if he doesn't make contact.

Edit: So it was not a suicide squeeze. The runner from third would have run into a double play if it had been.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The count. Even on at-bats for players that are specifically told "bunt to advance the runner" at two strikes, if it has failed, you don't bunt again at risk of foul-striking out.

thanks. :) someone explained the squeezes to me, but i forgot, obviously.

thanks Canada4Gold, Rysto :)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I mean Chaps is totally done. It's like Joe didn't have a bullpen before he came along.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The count. Even on at-bats for players that are specifically told "bunt to advance the runner" at two strikes, if it has failed, you don't bunt again at risk of foul-striking out.

no it's not because of the count suicide v. safety squeeze is differentiated based on whether the runner at 3rd is running or not. That was not a suicide squeeze.

It's called suicide because the runner is basically getting himself out by running home if it doesn't work. Thus suicide.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Situation. Though it really wasn't a suicide play.

A "suicide" is one of the two variants of the squeeze play where you bunt with a runner on 3rd and bet that the runner can get home quickly enough to negate any attempt to throw the ball home for the out (forcing a worst-case scenario of the batter being out at 1st, best case that he beats out the throw or there's no play and he's safe). This of course also depends on the hitter putting the bunt into a good spot that makes said throw home as difficult as possible.

The variations are the safety squeeze and the suicide squeeze, dependent on when the runner at 3rd takes off.

In the safety squeeze, the runner waits for contact before leaving 3rd for home.

In a suicide squeeze, the runner goes as soon as the pitcher begins his delivery home. Making it like a sort of attempted steal of home, betting the batter will be able for sure to make contact and prevent the runner from just being tagged out on the pitch reception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_play_(baseball)

In actuality this was a safety squeeze attempt. The runner was clearly waiting for contact before he'd break for home.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
no it's not because of the count suicide v. safety squeeze is differentiated based on whether the runner at 3rd is running or not. That was not a suicide squeeze.

It's called suicide because the runner is basically getting himself out by running home if it doesn't work. Thus suicide.

I never called it a suicide squeeze.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I never called it a suicide squeeze.

you said it's suicide. There's no such thing as a suicide bunt. That's not a thing. I guess you could describe bunting with 2 strikes as suicide. But it's not a term that people use.

When they try a safety squeeze and you call it suicide it causes confusion because it seems like you're referring the to squeeze play the tried which was in fact not a suicide squeeze.

edit: Not you some other guy called it "a suicide" meaning a suicide squeeze and then you tried to explain the term to try to describe why bunting with 2 strikes might be suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad