Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
To clarify: This coming season meaning 2024/25 season.
Cutter would be returning to BC.
I think it was Elliot Freidman who reported the ELC contract idea. From my understanding the two parties had contract talks before the worlds last year. To me it sounds like that is when the ELC starting this season was likely offered and IIRC an AHL deal was even offered for the remaining 2022-23 season. I would assume that is when CG would likely have indicated his intention to return to BC. Fast forward to the Zoom call, team is excited as they think he is going to sign and instead are told he won't sign at all with them. As the Ducks have already discussed their ELC plans with him, without a doubt Philly had done so to last year before the decision to return to BC was finalized. No idea if this is "one of many things" that affected their relationship but that's how I view the timeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark Kellogg

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Wouldnt Philly be more interested than the Ducks in playing Cutter after his 2nd season at BC since they are in PO race while Ana isnt/wont be?

not a contract wiz but why would Ana want to burn an ELC year in April?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Has he said that he will absolutely sign with the Ducks?
He said he is looking forward to signing at the end of his college year.

Wouldnt Philly be more interested than the Ducks in playing Cutter after his 2nd season at BC since they are in PO race while Ana isnt/wont be?

Because burning the first year of an ELC means nothing to the Ducks. It gets them to their second contract faster and usually means a better deal for the team.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Because burning the first year of an ELC means nothing to the Ducks. It gets them to their second contract faster and usually means a better deal for the team.

And it works as a signing bonus to entice a valued prospect to sign. Although if they make the Frozen Four will that even be an option?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
So according to Marek from Briere the theory that Flyers deserved it because they prevented him from turning pro is false.
Humm. it was a popular one after Tortorella, Hayes, rookie gm.

so whats the favorite « explanation » at this point? Wants to win?

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I wasn't the person making that point. You were right. It's ridiculous to consider trading a key player to another trade "gifting" that team anything. You made a trade.

I just took issue with the characterization of those teams in that series.
Kevin Lowe approached Brian Burke with a trade proposal at the draft. What was Burke supposed to do, say, sorry we don't want Chris Pronger? Yeah right.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Has there been any talk about Fletcher's role in this? Could he have aired the organization's dirty laundry to the player/agent on his way out the door and poisoned the well? I assume he was in close contact with them since he was drafted and had built a relationship.

Just clarifying I have ZERO inside info. But I have been in a situation where I had a great relationship with my boss, who got backstabbed and dumped. They offered me a chance to stay with a promotion, and work with the new guy ... Who my former boss told me was the one who stuck the knife in. So I told them to shove it.

Btw that slimy guy died a few years later when he got piss drunk and slammed his Mercedes into a tree at 100mph, with my replacement in the passenger seat.

I doubt it. Fletcher's an atrocious GM but everyone who meets him seems to just love him as a quality person and company man. If anything, his graciousness and professionalism probably keep him in jobs for he should have already been fired from, so I don't see him being the vindictive type.

Reactions: Amorgus

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I love Rosehill’s take today on Cutter.

“Where do you get a nickname like that?”

“You give it to yourself, because you’re a f***ing loser. His name is William, I just can’t wait to route against this kid, what a f***ing loser”

:laugh:

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I love Rosehill’s take today on Cutter.

“Where do you get a nickname like that?”

“You give it to yourself, because you’re a f***ing loser. His name is William, I just can’t wait to route against this kid, what a f***ing loser”

:laugh:
Wikipedia has his name listed as William Cutter Ruel Gauthier, so I'm pretty sure he was just born with it.

Also, wtf does Rosehill know about winning lol

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Doesn’t matter, made me lol
Your comment made me dig a little into it because I was curious lol

Gauthier's father, Sean, finished his pro hockey career playing for Skelleftea in Sweden. That's where Cutter Gauthier was born. He said his grandmother found the word "Cutter" in a Swedish cookbook, and it stuck with his parents.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Kevin Lowe approached Brian Burke with a trade proposal at the draft. What was Burke supposed to do, say, sorry we don't want Chris Pronger? Yeah right.

Wasn't a gift, though. Anaheim had a couple players Edmonton liked, and Anaheim was one of the teams Chris Pronger wanted to go to.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The (potential) benefit for Anaheim would be that it only gives Gauthier two years to build his case for his next contract, rather than three. Might get him signed to a more reasonable long term deal before he truly breaks out.

Reactions: HBK27

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Your comment made me dig a little into it because I was curious lol

Gauthier's father, Sean, finished his pro hockey career playing for Skelleftea in Sweden. That's where Cutter Gauthier was born. He said his grandmother found the word "Cutter" in a Swedish cookbook, and it stuck with his parents.
For context, I can't for the life of me figure out why "Cutter" would be found in a Swedish cookbook. It's not a word or has any meaning in the Swedish language.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Honestly, I was pretty wary of Gauthier's character when it first came out that he'd forced his way out. But seeing the Flyers org and fans acting like psycho stalker exes for days is clearing up a lot of my concerns.
Well, this is the same fan base that honored Ed Snider's memory by throwing the wrist bands made for him all over the ice because they were angry at the refs.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Things are becoming clearer....

Polish_20240111_153709506.jpg

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
No, this is exactly it. The quotes in that Sporting Tribune article kinda confirm what I think anyone who follows the Flyers with a critical eye has seen.

The Flyers have been mismanaged for a while. That's not really a debate. They hired two consecutive bad GMs, ran through coaches, put a shitty product on the ice, and emptied out one of the most consistently-full arenas in the league. You can look at it any way you want, but they have gone from one of the premier names in the sport to just another shitty team, and that's the result of bad decisions made by the people who run both the hockey operations and the business itself.

And to fix this mess, you'd think that a team would look to hire externally. But instead they hired right from their own existing corporate structure, a former player turned business protege and their own color commentator. Doesn't smack of "innovative, forward-thinking organization" really.

Cutter likely saw some of that in action—Fletcher's laughable final Trade Deadline and firing happened the week before BC's season ended, at the time he would've been discussing signing a pro deal. He'd have talked to two very different GMs in the course of a couple weeks.

I think there are enough tidbits out there to safely assume something wasn't aligning: Perhaps an agreement from the Fletcher side he'd sign that became irrelevant when Briere was suddenly the GM, maybe the rookie GM did make things tricky on himself trying to play moneyball, whatever it was. As Cutter himself said, it wasn't just one thing, so I'm guessing he perceived some dysfunction in all that and got to wondering about whether he wanted to begin his career working for management he didn't have faith in.

The coordinated and concerted messaging from the Flyers is obnoxious and unprofessional. It's also narrative control. Jones was hired as team President to sell "The New Era of Orange" to a very angry and alienated fanbase. It's working: They're in playoff position and people are returning to the arena.

Even if the dysfunction was left over from the previous administration and the relationship with Gauthier is just extremely unfortunate fallout from problems they have since resolved, they are not ever going to acknowledge that—or no-comment their way to speculation that they're still quite dysfunctional (which it's safe to assume they are, at least to an extent).

Instead, they chose to go on the offensive instantly to try to generate a galvanizing moment for their fanbase. Philly sports fans respond well to people saying they hate them, so the Flyers decided to portray Gauthier's decision as some slight to the city/franchise/fanbase by repeatedly shouting "He didn't want to be A FLYER!"

And it's working, at least locally. They were able to turn a kid saying "I don't have confidence in this franchise" into a rallying cry for the toxic, drooling masses—the ones who produce profits for them—to the point that some are sending death threats. I mean, it is a business, and they did play this pretty well. But how that behavior will reflect within the business of hockey? If other players or agents will have second thoughts about dealing with them, they'll have earned it.
This should be a pinned comment in this thread and on the Flyers board.

Could not have said it any better myself.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He’s never been bulletproof imo. People have always hated him. He lasts and stays because he’s actually a good coach. His “act” is that he demands accountability, hard work and commitment to the system. He’s a dick about it, no doubt. Teams clearly like the approach. When everyone buys in he has success. Eventually teams tune him out like they do any coach. He’s making the Flyers better right now this year, they’re playing hard. They outwork teams just like his old Cbus teams would when they were good. Flyers management knew they had a bad room so they hired him to help fix it, and the results are there. I get why people hate him, but I also get why others don’t. He won’t last forever but he’s helped turn that ship around.

Hes alos a huge players coach. Some people spin the narrative that players hate him but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I have yet to see any former players speak out against him.

Heck, look how he defended Kevin Hayes yesterday.

Well if he was expecting to get his 10 games and a good chunk of change, only to be flatly told no, they shouldn't be shocked if it doesn't go over well. You save money up front, you push back big money later ... But you do risk upsetting the player if that wasn't what was discussed previously.

Essentially he lost out on significant money. He can't get that back. Don't know why anyone would expect him to just shrug that off as "just business," yet turn around and expect some sort of warm and fuzzy loyalty in return.

That's just it. I can understand why he was pissed and I'm confused as to why the Flyers did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad