Proposal: Ana Needed trades

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think your assessment of Henrique's contract is reasonable - number is a bit too high for a bit too long. But what I'm missing is the value Buffalo fans seems to be placing on Risto (and his contract). My impression (which could be mistaken) is that Buffalo fans are very unhappy with Risto's defensive play and feel he's a 4/5 right now. Even if he's a 4, Risto's contract is a bit high as well. Yet Buffalo thinks a flawed defenseman with a $5.4M contract will return a 2c or top prospect? Look at the recent trades if middle or low tier d-men - they haven't been traded for that type of return.

Most reasonable sabres fans want to keep Risto and reduce his minutes and allow him to play to his strengths. 30 minutes a night on a tire fire of a team will make anyone look bad defensively. Dahlin will help there, Miller some, Montour some. If we cant get a legit 2c for Risto we are better off keeping him as he can put up similar numbers to a 2c (on the sabres) anyways.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
IMO Steel, Terry, Comtois, Lundestrom, and Zegras are untouchable at this stage. The best prospects I'd give up in a deal for Risto would be Jones, Mahura, Morand, and/or Larsson. I understand if that isn't enough for Buffalo, but we can't afford to give up our most talented offensive prospects right now.

Personally, I'd love Jones in Montreal.

Juulsen for Jones? Both 1st rders. Both NHL ready.

Habs have a lot of depth at RD right now.

Habs could use Jones' physical game.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Personally, I'd love Jones in Montreal.

Juulsen for Jones? Both 1st rders. Both NHL ready.

Habs have a lot of depth at RD right now.

Habs could use Jones' physical game.
It's not a bad offer by any means, and it does make some sense, but I personally would only trade Jones as a piece for a larger target (like Risto). Other posters may feel differently, but that's just my take.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's not a bad offer by any means, and it does make some sense, but I personally would only trade Jones as a piece for a larger target (like Risto). Other posters may feel differently, but that's just my take.
Jones has a ton of potential... prob too early to move him until we see if he can score a lil more... i wouldnt mind juulsen tho... i just dont think im ready to move jones yet

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Risto for steel and Max Jones? Maybe something with comtois? Idk I’d assume buffalo would want one or two young fwds in return?

No and no.

We need to develop our young froward group its not like we have a young Getzlaf and Perry carrying our offense.

Hamonic could be available maybe with a deal around kase?
Kase+2nd

For a defenseman who is UFA after 1 season no way in hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rec T

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How about Shattenkirk and Lias Anderson for Zegras.
Easy no... but i could see us in on shatty

No way we move zegras... hell be a key part to us not having to go full rebuild

Pretty sure u guys need to move shatt for cap purposes so i assume pick/prosects will get it done if we do go for him

Reactions: slg1963

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think your assessment of Henrique's contract is reasonable - number is a bit too high for a bit too long. But what I'm missing is the value Buffalo fans seems to be placing on Risto (and his contract). My impression (which could be mistaken) is that Buffalo fans are very unhappy with Risto's defensive play and feel he's a 4/5 right now. Even if he's a 4, Risto's contract is a bit high as well. Yet Buffalo thinks a flawed defenseman with a $5.4M contract will return a 2c or top prospect? Look at the recent trades if middle or low tier d-men - they haven't been traded for that type of return.
Yes most Sabres fans are unhappy with Risto's defensive play. With that said, we've had to see him jammed into a role that didn't play to his strengths. He shouldn't be playing 25 minutes a night against teams top lines. Going to a team that can play him with a heavier OZ deployment with a respectable partner should yield some nice results. The "4/5 defenseman" handle is used more by people that don't watch him play night in and night out. It's almost exclusively a result of staring at WOWY charts and using no context with those #'s. He's a good young defenseman on a good contract with term.
Do Sabre fans think Casey Mittelstadt is not 2c material? Or just not ready yet?

I figured a big, near-NHL ready prospect like Comtois who can score as LW2 would have been just what BUF wanted. I don't know - maybe Olofsson is that guy.
I'd say most Sabres fans haven't given up on Mittlestadt yet. He definitely was not ready for the role he was thrust into last year. At this point it's tough to determine whether he's better suited as a LW long-term or if he'll put the work in to try and stick at C. It would obviously be best to have a vet in front of him to help ease him into that 2C role. Comtois would be a nice get, but we aren't quite as thin on the Wing as we appeared last year. Olofsson is ready, we added Johansson and Vesey, Nylander will need to be given a chance this season. All these guys combined with Skinner and Reinhart should give us enough talent on the wings. Up the middle things look much more sparse. Mittlestadt looked lost last year, Johansson should be a LW not a center, Rodrigues looked alright at C, but counting on him to be the 2C behind Eichel is likely asking too much from him. The wildcard would be Reinhart who has never really been given a good long run with talent at the C position.

badnewsbruin

Feb 23, 2009
Anaheim needs a RD and the Bruins have Kevin Miller, will not cost the Ducks any of their young talent and fills a need.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks are better off not wasting young assets on 1 year rentals or overpaying for 2nd pair d-men and seeing what they have. They are more than 1 second pair guy away from contending, just see if any of the young guys are capable of taking the #4 spot. Maybe Larsson, Guhle, or Haakanpaa (sp?) are ready for that spot. If not, worst case scenario is a good draft pick and showing what the young guys have

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Edmonton offers a 2nd for Ritchie. He may not be what Anaheim had hoped he'd be, but he's better than a lot of what Edmonton has. And he's better than anything Edmonton will pull out of the 2nd round.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
How bout we stop pretending they'll be contending any time soon and not burn futures in the middle of a retool/rebuild?
How would acquiring a 24 (Risto) or 26 (Hamilton) year old defenseman be counterproductive to a re-tool?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Edmonton offers a 2nd for Ritchie. He may not be what Anaheim had hoped he'd be, but he's better than a lot of what Edmonton has. And he's better than anything Edmonton will pull out of the 2nd round.
Ritchie is fine, still cheap with two years on his contract left. And is unique to our forward group; a 2nd isn't enough to help the Oilers out with their terrible winger situation.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How would acquiring a 24 (Risto) or 26 (Hamilton) year old defenseman be counterproductive to a re-tool?
We don't know how long it's going to take. With our futures we don't know whether or not they may end up worse, as good, or better than the guys we'll trade for. In a few cases like Zegras, Comtois, or Terry it's entirely possible for the third option. It would make more sense if we were on the cusp of returning to competitive hockey with am established core. As is there's going to be a lot of toying around and developing a core on the fly. Trading away any of these prospects only to watch them become a star would in fact be counter productive.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Its not that acquiring them would be bad - its the expectation that they will need to give up one of the ELC forwards to do so.

If you only have a right shoe, trading it in to get the left one you need doesn't actually leave you any further ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad