An actual breakdown on taxes per team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Well, is there? I mean a poster here, not the “I know a guy” because we all know a guy. For all the people that complain about local taxes, has a single poster here ever moved because of them?

To read these threads, you’d be surprised to learn that Canada even exists. It’s apparently financial suicide to live there.
I've lived here my whole life, and trust me, it is financial suicide and its getting worse.

Why, when all players are paid in U.S. dollars?
Players get to spend more living in Canada getting paid with USD

Reactions: Jmo89

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think this whole argument is kinda tired. According to cap friendly, LA's taxes are similar to Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa. Does LA have trouble attracting talent? I think the real problem, if you want to call it that, is that those good ole Canadian boys don't actually want to play at home nearly as badly as the fans think they do. They can spend a month there in the offseason when the weather is nice and then spend the other 11 months somewhere bigger, warmer, whatever.

What proportion of the people here live where they do because of the income tax rate? Anyone?

Actually. In the US. A lot. High tax blue states are losing hundreds of thousands of people to low tax states. Look up the flight from NY to Florida. California to Montana etc

Well, is there? I mean a poster here, not the “I know a guy” because we all know a guy. For all the people that complain about local taxes, has a single poster here ever moved because of them?

To read these threads, you’d be surprised to learn that Canada even exists. It’s apparently financial suicide to live there.

If you live in the states and have paid moderate retention to migration you. Will see the thousands who have left high tax blue states for low tax states.

In Canada. Ontario loses tons to Alberta. I know a bunch who went for financial opportunities.

I can’t say it was specifically for taxes though.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's a good thing they can afford to hire tax attorneys and accountants to make sure this doesn't matter.

Except they can’t. And they don’t or players wouldn’t take less in low tax states.

no kings take discounts

If they are going to do something about taxes and the salary cap then maybe they should also do something about endorsements and the salary cap? You know players in Toronto have a greater chance of getting endorsement deals then say players in Florida?

No. They don’t have to do that. Thats a different thing completely. It’s not even in the same arena

BUT if they did. They would have to make a fair system.

They are under no obligation to impose Any restrictions on a free market system. But any that they do need to be fair. This isn’t hard.

Just like boxing chose to make weight class.

does not have to institute a reach or height class.

but if they do. They have to make it the same for everyone. This is really simple

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
So basically teams like Montreal have like 4 or 5 million less in cap to spend on players. Sounds about fair.....

No matter how people minimize it on here. % Taxes should be factored in when determining market cap per team. Why not have it aligned so it's about even? Sounds pretty basic and fair thing to do.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Except they can’t. And they don’t or players wouldn’t take less in low tax states.

no kings take discounts

No. They don’t have to do that. Thats a different thing completely. It’s not even in the same arena

BUT if they did. They would have to make a fair system.

They are under no obligation to impose Any restrictions on a free market system. But any that they do need to be fair. This isn’t hard.

Just like boxing chose to make weight class.

does not have to institute a reach or height class.

but if they do. They have to make it the same for everyone. This is really simple
Only the idiots take discounts. Either way, this is a complete nothingburger and doesn't determine anything as far as which teams are successful.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They seem to like to congregate in New York which is not a low tax state by any measure.

No one in NYR takes a discount. Are you kidding?

They all want to go there. They all force there way there. But they don’t take discounts. Trouba. Fox. Panarin etc.

They all get every penny. High tax market stars (not super stars) take 14-15%.

Low tax take 11-12. It’s proven

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
No one in NYR takes a discount. Are you kidding?

They all want to go there. They all force there way there. But they don’t take discounts. Trouba. Fox. Panarin etc.

They all get every penny. High tax market stars (not super stars) take 14-15%.

Low tax take 11-12. It’s proven
It has no impact on the game.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
So basically teams like Montreal have like 4 or 5 million less in cap to spend on players. Sounds about fair.....

No matter how people minimize it on here. % Taxes should be factored in when determining market cap per team. Why not have it aligned so it's about even? Sounds pretty basic and fair thing to do.

So, then we should rule in endorsement deals too. It’s the fair thing to do.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Actually. In the US. A lot. High tax blue states are losing hundreds of thousands of people to low tax states. Look up the flight from NY to Florida. California to Montana etc

If you live in the states and have paid moderate retention to migration you. Will see the thousands who have left high tax blue states for low tax states.

In Canada. Ontario loses tons to Alberta. I know a bunch who went for financial opportunities.

I can’t say it was specifically for taxes though.

The high tax states are losing businesses to the south and the people are following the jobs. People aren’t coming to Atlanta for a ~6% raise via income taxes. Moving your family across the country for slightly more than your typical annual cost of living raise is nutty. They’re coming for the film industry, Google, Mercedes, Porsche, etc., better career opportunities overall.

Similarly, there are plenty of reasons to live in Texas, Tennessee or Florida that don’t directly relate to their individual income tax rates. It’s just the most convenient excuse.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The high tax states are losing businesses to the south and the people are following the jobs. People aren’t coming to Atlanta for a ~6% raise via income taxes. Moving your family across the country for slightly more than your typical annual cost of living raise is nutty. They’re coming for the film industry, Google, Mercedes, Porsche, etc., better career opportunities overall.

Similarly, there are plenty of reasons to live in Texas, Tennessee or Florida that don’t directly relate to their individual income tax rates. It’s just the most convenient excuse.
in your opinion , not most people’s opinion.
But your doing a good job of gaslighting.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It has no impact on the game

What doesn’t? That teams

1.)Why do you think businesses are moving there?

2.) you are comparing people making 6% more on what 50k or 100k? Of course you aren’t moving for 6 grand a year.

But if you are looking at 1.5 million dollars a year. I’m thinking you would.

Marc methot made 700k more per year moving from Ottawa to dallas. He seemed pretty happy about it.

Again. NHL agents players gms and accountants openly say jts a big part of their decisions in terms of 1 where they play. 2 how much money they take.

To deny this and compare millions to thousands is mjnd blowing.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Salary trends indicate higher tax locations require higher salaries for the better players. Lower tax franchises get a slight discount. I don't see an even playing field which is what the hard cap is partially about. I've maintained they need to restructure the current system.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Salary trends indicate higher tax locations require higher salaries for the better players. Lower tax franchises get a slight discount. I don't see an even playing field which is what the hard cap is partially about. I've maintained they need to restructure the current system.
The hard cap has never been about an even playing field. The OWNERS pushed for a hard cap for cost certainty paired with revenues.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The key term that the nhl used during that apocalyptic lockout was cost certainty.

It was achieved via salary cap and escrow.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Again, if it’s most people, there should be at least one person here that has moved solely due to the income tax rate. Let’s see ‘em.

What doesn’t? That teams

1.)Why do you think businesses are moving there?

2.) you are comparing people making 6% more on what 50k or 100k? Of course you aren’t moving for 6 grand a year.

But if you are looking at 1.5 million dollars a year. I’m thinking you would.

Marc methot made 700k more per year moving from Ottawa to dallas. He seemed pretty happy about it.

Again. NHL agents players gms and accountants openly say jts a big part of their decisions in terms of 1 where they play. 2 how much money they take.

To deny this and compare millions to thousands is mjnd blowing.

We are tax friendly towards businesses, but that’s outside the scope of this conversation. People aren’t corporations.

No, if I made $1.5m, I’m not sweating $90k. I wouldn't even move for it now, and I’m quite a bit below $1.5m. If someone forced me to move, I wouldn’t go somewhere my family didn’t want to be in order to extract those last few dollars from my contract. Marc Methot himself described the tax situation as a “silver lining.” And I think that’s exactly what it is. Cherry on top but not the reason anybody is picking a location. Part of the benefit of being rich is having the money to live where you want.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I live in Tennessee and I've seen the influx since Covid. On the list of reasons they are moving here ( a good chunk from California ) tax rate is just something thrown in as an after thought.

Some of the reasons are political based, they started coming to open states rather than more closed off states during Covid. They were conservatives living in a very liberal area, etc. There are also generally just less restrictions of any kind in many of these states ( mileage varies on that )

Another was due to cost of living. They could sell a house in California for 800k-1 million, pay off all of their bills, and buy a larger house in Tennessee for cash.

The final part of that is that once one family member moved the above two reasons made the rest of the family follow. They could eventually come here and start over with little to no overhead.

The tax part of it comes in bits and pieces as they are happy about the paycheck being increased but then complain about the sales tax being nuts. The chart from the beginning is actually low, the only places in Tennessee you will see sales tax lower than 10.75% are out in the boonies where no one lives and there is no one to pay the local option sales to start with.

Edit: because of this we have seen housing all across the state increase but specifically middle Tennessee. My house which I paid 190k for now will sale for close to 315k just 5 years later. Rent on average has gone from $750 a month to around $1500 for the same location in that time period and I'm not in Nashville or Franklin, I'm an hour south of both locations.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
So, then we should rule in endorsement deals too. It’s the fair thing to do.
Sure whatever you say....

Not my wish list (post tax salary cap), but for people asking for things to be fair in terms of money so, I want endorsements added to that.
And who gets these endorsements more so being in a heavier taxed city exactly? Besides maybe Mcdavid and Mathews and few select players in the NHL. You argument is plain low IQ. Fact remains teams that pay higher tax should be calculated in the salary cap and factored in. No reason for anyone to argue this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad