American Prospect Update Thread

HockeyFan2022

Sep 16, 2021
PP was raving about Cornforth.

I didn’t see Hensler listed in any of the line-ups, must be hurt? I l know going in he was right there with Keefe and Whipple as maybe the most ballyhooed blueliners?
Yeah I'd assume so. Doubt it impacts anything I think he'll still make it, guess we'll see though. Him and Whipple are probably neck and neck rn in terms of being the best 06 D in NA. I honestly think it's really close between them and then there's more of a gap with the rest of the D there after Whipple/Hensler.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
I've done a kind of quick, generalized recap from Puck Preps who had two scouts watching all four days (obviously their full thoughts on each player and scrimmage are behind a pay-wall). These were the standout players are listed in a non-scientific order of how well they seemed to standout through all the scrimmages:

FORWARDS
- Cornforth (F) - Shifty and fast with quick hands and high level ability to control the puck and cycle while also displaying patience and intelligence. Very impressive performances.

- Ziemer (F) - Really skilled with the puck and can dish and finish. High-end technicals with big-time compete and team-oriented game.

- Epperson (F) - Physically strong and good skater with big offensive tools and high ceiling.

- Hagens (F) - Explosive skater and intelligent; composed while carrying the puck, good on face-offs and defensively. Needs some refinement but enormous potential.

- Hughes (F) - Power forward prototype with good skating and puck-protection - not always fully-committed defensively but a force when on.

- Humphreys (F) - A bit inconsistent and needs to improve decision making but excellent playmaker with quick hands.

- Eiserman (F) - Already discussed. Superior talent who didn't really showcase his full ability through all the scrimmages but still obviously an elite prospect.

- Stiga (F) - Really good all good offensive arsenal - able to find soft spots on the ice, score and pass, good puck protection, quick & powerful.

- McMorrow (F) - Only mentioned in one of the scrimmage recaps but for one scout was the best player in that game. Explosive skater with technical skill and intelligent team-based game.

- Varkonyi (F) - CSSHL-based forward played wing but may project as a two-way center; shifty, good in possession and sound defensively.

- Vansaghi (F) - Huge potential as power winger; high level board play, a danger off the rush and strong cycling. Raw and prone to some mental mistakes.

- Spellacy (F) - Not the most skilled but really good defensively and battles on both sides of the ice. Sounds like one of those typical NTDP role-player forwards.

- Park (F) - A bit disappointing considering his pedigree and numbers at SSM but very fast, good playmaker with well-rounded game who can play at a very high pace. Maybe just a poor week?

- Swanson (F) - Small forward who is a great skater and hustler with very good instincts and two-way game.

- Bednarik (F) - High work-rate defensively, lots of hustle and enough speed to create danger...another typical NTDP role player?

- Young (F) - Hard-working two-way player with excellent vision and playmaking.

DEFENSE
- Whipple (D) - As already mentioned above, a standout in every scrimmage. Just an all-around stud. Sounds like by far the standout of camp.

- Longacre (D) - Skates well, calm but physical, extremely intelligent and positionally sound with ability to be a factor on the rush and in transition.

- Skahan (D) - Strong and commanding defensive presence at all times; offensive tools are still developing.

- Keefe (D) - Explosive skater and high-level mobility in all directions with a solid all-around game. Skating and intelligence allows him to recover and fix team defensive lapses effectively.

- Poulin (D) - Small but super agile and quick; loves to carry the puck and has good vision. The better prototypical "small D" for this year's team over Cole Hutson (Lane's brother)?

- Dakota Reheaume-Mullen (D) - Technically sound and strong with a very good intelligence on the defensive side. Lanky stride and not as polished with the puck as some.
Puck Preps... LOL

Reactions: Al48

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Puck Preps... LOL
I think their attempts to rank 200 14 year-olds with grades are pretty silly but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with their first hand viewing reports of scrimmages and youth leagues and tournaments.

What they saw during NTDP camp seems to jive pretty well with the other sources I’ve seen commenting on player performances and standouts from this week.

Reactions: JiggsNY

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Park not making it seems like a massive surprise. You would think he almost certainly is choosing a different path, because he’s supposed to be close with Eiserman as the top guys.

Didn’t sound like he stood out much in camp. If he had a poor camp it probably cost him a spot even if he’s one of the 13-14 most talented forwards because we know they are going to select their usual assortment of role playing bottom six guys. Could be a kid that needed to stick out as one of the 6-8 best forwards and he didn’t do that.

I’d wager he’s not close to Eiserman any more - they both had great 14U stats but Eiserman (and Celebrini) are clearly a level above this year with the 18U’s. Park has great stats with the 16’s but perhaps he’s also just not quite the phenom we thought he might be a year ago. I’d think he’s certainly still one to watch though regardless.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Is James Hagens the closest to Eiserman's level? Which player is comparable in style?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Can we say that the 06 are close to the talent level of the 04?
I don’t think it’s that level. But Eiserman has the potential to perhaps become the biggest game-breaking talent in a while, including the 04’s. But that’s getting ahead of ourselves.

But yes the 06’s certainly appear to be a very, very good group. One person I follow was asked and said:

“F - good class, especially at the top of the F class.

D - Very deep class

G - Not very deep but good at the top end”

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Standouts at the 15O Nationals....

I think the Chicago Mission was the best team I saw all day. Jake Merens really stood out but each team was loaded. Mission beat SSM.

THE Pens beat the BK Selects. Carcone is really strong with the puck and heady. Fortune and Bourne stand out to me.

Van Vliet had some points in the 3rd but didn't really stand out today.

Mt St Mary's is LOADED. The whole team is outstanding. Team AK hung with them but the Mount talent is unbelievable. Hagens is on another level. He's fast. He's creative. He finishes and he works hard. Complete. Felicio is next in line talent wise. Why oh why wouldn't they invite home to the eval camp? Throw in Kiss, Boisvert, Callum... They are all soooo good.

Top 3 today in order in terms of team play and results...
1) Mission
2) Mount
3) SSM

Last edited:

TheCrease

Dec 1, 2021
Anyone following along with this one? USA Hockey National Championship game in Chicago yesterday. Bunch of 2025 draft prospects in this game. Shattuck vs Chicago Mission.

Game tied 2-2 in the third then this happens in front of a couple hundred in attendance and all the USA Hockey officials. That's the game winning "goal" from Chicago Mission. The puck is in the goalies glove until he hands it to the referee....

Reactions: JiggsNY

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Something about Ryan Hedley 07? According to elite prospects he leads the u14aaa with 2.56ppg, playing on a team with not much help.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Should hear about the NTDP roster here soon. Usually within 10-14 days after the camp the roster is announced if past years are any indication

Reactions: clevelandcane

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It may be a pending deal depending on the final selection. For the player it's important because it allows him to wait for the results in a more serene way.

He chose the team closest to the NTDP. Now he knows for sure that he will play in Michigan and in the USHL and that is very important.

In the short term, he can better handle the stressful wait for results, in the long term, if he has to leave or join the NTDP, he will not have to move if he resides in Lansing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxon Eric

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Lots of hype for this team. Excited to see how they do next season. They did a good job pulling Minnesota kids this class.
Most talented group since the '01 roster imo. A ton of talented kids didn't make the cut on the team.

Roster make up is a really interesting one. Dominated by 5 kids from SSM, 5 Minn HS (3 Blades), 2 MSC, 2 Caesars and 2 Mission. Also, the states are dominated by 7 from Minnesota, 5 Illinois, 3 Michigan, 2 MA, 2 NY

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad