American Prospect Update Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sawchyn leaves the NTDP. Everything points to Nelson joining for next season. Thats probably an even tradeoff, but I wish Nelson could've replaced someone worse because there are a lot worse players on that team that he could've replaced than Sawchyn.

Reactions: BKarchitect

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sawchyn leaves the NTDP. Everything points to Nelson joining for next season. Thats probably an even tradeoff, but I wish Nelson could've replaced someone worse because there are a lot worse players on that team that he could've replaced than Sawchyn.

Nelson was still with the NTDP and working out with them even after the season ended, so I bet he's already signed. Nelson looks like a strong 1st round candidate, so he's a great add, but agree that it's a bummer to lose Sawchyn. I guess Seattle drafting his younger brother sealed the decision.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
What happened to these threads being stickied to the top of the prospect thread?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I think the mods would prefer every prospect under the sun end up with a low reply thread rather than benefit fr consolidated discussion.
Ya I don't get it. Anyways, it's August 1st. Lots of commitments so far...

Owen Keefe - BU
Kamil Bednarik - BU
John Whipple - Minnesota
Matt Frost - BC
Will Skahan - Wisconsin
Charlie Pardue - Notre Dame
Austin baker - MSU

Always funny when a kid like Keefe doesn't go where there dad is a coach but it happens all the time

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
From the first Hlinka game, the players I liked how they showed were Vachon, Kinsman, Brown, Connor, Erdman, Lacroix, McDonough, Terrance, and Whitelaw.

Vachon is a 5'10 goalie, so unlikely to be drafted and I've watched him play once now. He might not be good, but I thought he had a good game. Kinsman is only listed at 5'10, so thats also going to be bad for his draft stock. I thought he looked 6'0, but 5'10 could be accurate. He's a very steady RHD who does nothing that stands out. I think he's a pick and have liked his game before, but at 5'10 I understand why he's not a pick if he doesn't get selected in 2023.

I thought Brown looked very similar to the NHL player with the same name as him. Gritty winger who lacks high-end dangles, but a two-way player who has some offense. Connor looked like a defensive center with a little offense. Both Brown and Connor are 5'10, so if they aren't picks I see why, but I think there's a good chance they get picked.

Erdman and Lacroix were the two new guys that really stood out to me. Lacroix has speed and skill. Listed at 6'0 also. Played well on Whitelaw's line. Has top 2-3 round potential for next year. A dual playing in the BCHL. The Canadians are going to love that. Erdman looked like Brown/Connor but with higher-end offense. Another guy I think could be top 2-3 rounds.

Not sure why McDonough was on the fourth line. One of the best prospects on the team pretty clearly. Physical guy with size and offense. Liked what I saw from him last season in the USHL. Terrance may lack upside, but a two way center with size, good enough offense and skating. He'll likely be a top 2-3 rounds pick. Whitelaw is very flashy offensively. Saw this from him last year. He's now listed at 5'9. I don't know if it'll be enough for round one. It very well might, but I would think he has to be top 2-3 rounds just due to his scoring upside.

We also know Musty, McCarthy, and Strathmann are good, but I didn't think any of the three were that good in the first game. Musty created the most offense of the forwards after Whitelaw, but too individualized in his play. He made a lot of selfish and stupid decisions, and it's not like this guy is Connor McDavid. He's a good prospect who has a good chance to be first round, but he need to not try to play hero so much. McCarthy had a pretty bland game. I think being paired with St. Louis pretty often, who was a complete disaster and ruined nearly all our PP's, hurt him a little. He made some nice plays that St. Louis and some other teammates messed up, but still expect a little more of him. Strathmann is another guy who is one of the better prospects on the team and I liked most of what he did, but he did the cardinal sin you can't of a defenseman which is being stripped of the puck as the last guy back and it led to a 1v1 with the goalie. Gotta eliminate that, but otherwise he did some nice things.

These thoughts could change after we see a few games, but this was what I thought after one game from our team.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lucas St. Louis is such a bad hockey player. No hockey IQ and a turnover machine. Please hockey gods spare us from Marty's third son. We've suffered enough with Ryan and Lucas.
It’s getting hilarious how they occupy spots on all these teams, but watch the third one end up really good. That’d be deserved for USAH fans having to put up with watching the first two.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
This Hlinka team has the talent to medal but man it was stupid play after stupid play against the Finns today. Not much chemistry either (which is more understandable). Hopefully they play smarter against Czech and move to the semis.

Lots of players that could be mid to late round picks. I Like Terrance, Brown, Connor, Erdman so far. Whitelaw and Musty are clearly talented. McCarthy has been terrible so far hopefully he turns it around.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This Hlinka team has the talent to medal but man it was stupid play after stupid play against the Finns today. Not much chemistry either (which is more understandable). Hopefully they play smarter against Czech and move to the semis.

Lots of players that could be mid to late round picks. I Like Terrance, Brown, Connor, Erdman so far. Whitelaw and Musty are clearly talented. McCarthy has been terrible so far hopefully he turns it around.
Mid to late round picks? We got a first round pick from the team last year that wasn't very good, and it'll potentially have a second first after this year. This team will have at least a few guys picked in the top few rounds. Maybe a few in the first round. McCarthy hasn't been bad, although I agree he hasn't been at his best yet. The problem is when he's been paired with St. Louis who puts his defense partner in such a bind every shift. And the referees called him for two nonsense penalties today that weren't penalties.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I hope we keep failing in the Hlinka until we take the tournament seriously.

St. Louis is one of the worst players I've seen suit up for USAH.

Musty is pretty skilled but he really needs to improve his over handling of the puck, lack of pace, and tunnel vision.

Anthony Noreen with another master class in how not to coach. A USAH special. 2 goals in 2 games and legit didn't change the lines, and didn't hold the players accountable for their lack of discipline.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I hope we keep failing in the Hlinka until we take the tournament seriously.

St. Louis is one of the worst players I've seen suit up for USAH.

Musty is pretty skilled but he really needs to improve his over handling of the puck, lack of pace, and tunnel vision.

Anthony Noreen with another master class in how not to coach. A USAH special. 2 goals in 2 games and legit didn't change the lines, and didn't hold the players accountable for their lack of discipline.
Coaching is the real Achilles heel of USA Hockey.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
Coaching is the real Achilles heel of USA Hockey.
That and the selection process. There’s a lot I could say on what I think is wrong, especially money poured in by wealthy families to maintain status for their kids. In certain regions, you have the same kids that get a pass to everything since they’re 10.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That and the selection process. There’s a lot I could say on what I think is wrong, especially money poured in by wealthy families to maintain status for their kids. In certain regions, you have the same kids that get a pass to everything since they’re 10.
I agree. It's very "political." USA Hockey seems obsessed with giving spots to duals who while eligible don't deserve to be selected for various programs/teams. I guess on ice performance is less important than boardroom glad handing. We have more talent than we have ever have and yet the results just aren't there (with all due respect to other countries).

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I agree. It's very "political." USA Hockey seems obsessed with giving spots to duals who while eligible don't deserve to be selected for various programs/teams. I guess on ice performance is less important than boardroom glad handing. We have more talent than we have ever have and yet the results just aren't there (with all due respect to other countries.
At my son's regional selection camp a few years back, it was obvious the picks had, for the most part, already been made before anyone stepped on the ice. (Not implying he was deserving of selection.) Don't know how one would exclude politics though. It's stitched into the fabric of every human institution and endeavor.

Regarding results, I wonder if there's some complacency within USA Hockey because of the undeniable, if perhaps waning, success of the NTDP?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
At my son's regional selection camp a few years back, it was obvious the picks had, for the most part, already been made before anyone stepped on the ice. (Not implying he was deserving of selection.) Don't know how one would exclude politics though. It's stitched into the fabric of every human institution and endeavor.

Regarding results, I wonder if there's some complacency within USA Hockey because of the undeniable, if perhaps waning, success of the NTDP?
The USNTDP does need to be reevaluated-yes. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Pacific: Jr Kings, Ducks, Shattuck imports, random Seattle or Spokane product (see Yamamoto/Dylan Gambrell)

Rockies: Thunderbirds, Dallas Elite, Coyotes

Coaches and club execs being on the selection committees for USA hockey doesn't help with the nepotism either, but you could say the same about advancement from the top BC academies, Don Mills, Marlies, etc.

Not a lot of people excited about kids from Port Coquitlam AAA or Willowdale...

Same thing as what happens in any other industry

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Pacific: Jr Kings, Ducks, Shattuck imports, random Seattle or Spokane product (see Yamamoto/Dylan Gambrell)

Rockies: Thunderbirds, Dallas Elite, Coyotes

Coaches and club execs being on the selection committees for USA hockey doesn't help with the nepotism either, but you could say the same about advancement from the top BC academies, Don Mills, Marlies, etc.

Not a lot of people excited about kids from Port Coquitlam AAA or Willowdale...

Same thing as what happens in any other industry
One wonders how many deserving players get ignored. Then again, expecting scrupulous fairness in life is about as foolish as it gets.

My dog growled at your avi, btw. Please show some consideration.

Ad

Ad

Ad