All-Time Draft #11, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Bouchard played about half the games in the 56 regular season, and one playoff game in 56. That was it for his direct, on-ice contributions to the Habs dynasty. Now, that's not to say he didn't play a key role in "setting the table" for the dynasty with his leadership and guidance, as the Habs had to transition some young players into the organization (Beliveau, Geoffrion, Moore, H. Richard) into the line-up in the early and mid 50s, but Bouchard was done after 56.

Butch Bouchard is another guy who is credited with really bringing that team together in the 1950s and keeping the prima donnas under control.

Alf Smith is a LW, he never switched wings as far as I know. Even when Phillips, the best LW in hockey, came to Ottawa, he stayed on the left side and Phillips went to the right.

I had a feeling Alf wouldn't last very long. He could play on a 2nd or 3rd line. And I was sort of hoping I could get him as an embarrassingly good 4th liner, but that was a pipe dream.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Bouchard played about half the games in the 56 regular season, and one playoff game in 56. That was it for his direct, on-ice contributions to the Habs dynasty. Now, that's not to say he didn't play a key role in "setting the table" for the dynasty with his leadership and guidance, as the Habs had to transition some young players into the organization (Beliveau, Geoffrion, Moore, H. Richard) into the line-up in the early and mid 50s, but Bouchard was done after 56.

Butch was the unquestioned leader of that team in the mid 50's. He was convinced by Toe Blake to play another in 1955-56 where he acted as a mentor for Jean-Guy Talbot who took his place on the blue line as the season progressed.

When that happened, Butch decided to retire again but Blake wouldn't hear of it. Blake in his first year of coaching regarded him as a valuable conduit between himself and the players. In his book, Beliveau has mentioned that Butch was the model for his stint as captain. I also recommend Michael Ulmer's book, Canadiens Captains, which has a chapter in his book dedicated to Butch and goes a long way to explaining his influence on his younger teammates even after they retired.

The story about Blake putting him on for the last minute of the 1956 Cup clincher (told in the link below) shows how much Toe valued loyalty and friendship.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1640

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
The:leafs are very pleased to select a skilled dynamic intelligent professional in Alex Mogilny at pick 345th

#89 Alexander Mogilny
An inspired artist whose game is all spontaneity improvisation and instinct that made him one of the greatest offensive impact players of his generation. Alex was the owner of great hockey sense that allowed him to know where to be on the ice at all times. He knew when to hang or not to hang for a break away.He had tremendous lightning quick speed and loved to use his shot.His wrist shot and slap shot were above average and he was a deft playmaker. He had lethal skills that allowed him to net 76 goals in one season Alex the Great played a determined disciplined offensive game and was constantly thinking ahead of the game play. As his career progressed he became aware defensively, grew to become a selfless player and was not only known for his speed and shooting but also his vision, passing and skilled stick handling ability.

RS:990 473 559 1032 432
PO:124 39 47 86 58
Seasons:16
Era:Late 80's -2005
-Scored 70+ Goals-1
-Scored 50+ Goals -2
-Scored 40+ Goals -3
-Scored 30+ Goals -8
-Tallied 100 Points+-2
-Tallied 80 Points+- 4
-Tallied 70 Points+-7
-Lead the NHL in Goals-1
-Top 10 Goals:3(1st-ties, 3rd.6th)
-Top 10 Scoring -2 -(7th,9th)
-Best Season-92-93-127 points
World Junior Championship (Best Forward) - 1988
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - 2003
World Cup of Hockey Teams - 1996, 2004
NHL Second All-Star Team - 1993, 1996
Stanley Cup - 2000
Olympic Gold Medal - 1988
NHL All-Star Game(s) -1992,93,94,96,2001
Member of Triple Gold Club
leafs leafs in scoring:1 time
Ranked 79th -100 All Time Leafs Book
Role:Game Breaker/Offensive Wizard/Sniper

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

All true. Which is why I said "the 50's" and not "the late 50's" ;)

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Well Toe Blake went pretty late this time so a really nice grab for GBC and raleh. I was kinda hoping he'd slip even further! But no such look. Same thing with Butch Goring earlier. I hate you GBC and raleh! :rant:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Well Toe Blake went pretty late this time so a really nice grab for GBC and raleh. I was kinda hoping he'd slip even further! But no such look. Same thing with Butch Goring earlier. I hate you GBC and raleh! :rant:
I'll take that as a compliment. So we ticked you off by taking Goring, and we ticked pappy off by taking Brewer. (Although pappy even said he knew it was coming).

Dang, raleh, we should have taken Eddie Litzenberger.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
See you got me so upset I wrote look instead of luck.

Nah I figured on both occasions (Goring and Blake) that you two would grab them. I was 99% sure they wouldn't get past you, the same way pappy must've been with Brewer. I'm happy with what we have instead, but hey you have to dream big right?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
See you got me so upset I wrote look instead of luck.

Nah I figured on both occasions (Goring and Blake) that you two would grab them. I was 99% sure they wouldn't get past you, the same way pappy must've been with Brewer. I'm happy with what we have instead, but hey you have to dream big right?
Blake was pretty much a slam dunk pick. Goring wasn't. We talked a lot about Brent Sutter for that role. But we liked Goring's offensive abilities more, and in our organization, we expect our third and fourth line guys to be able to contribute offensively. And we loved Butch's Conn Smythe and rep as the final piece for the Islanders dynasty.

Also talked about taking Herbie Lewis in 11. In fact, Herbie was on our long and short lists for a while. But we went with Butch.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Those are guys we were talking about too, well not Sutter actually. We were still looking for a second line pivot. I really like Duke Keats in that role.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Alf Smith

I'm surprised Smith was still available this late, as he went quite a bit higher in the last ATD. Smith brings a little bit of everything to the table, including leadership and a Stanley Cup resume. The Trail states that he was often on the RW, so I'll play him there. His dirty play is mentioned frequently, so he sounds like he might have been a Claude Lemieux type. Smith was out of hockey (at least as recorded in the Trail) for several years in his 20's. Perhaps history would remember him better if he'd had a lengthier career.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
with the current run on coaches, i'm going to take this opportunity to snag the perfect coach for this team. coaching was my achilles heel last draft (as my coach and team were polar opposites) so, i'm trying to avoid making the same mistake again.

kenora fans, please welcome...

glen sather (coach)
sather_glen_000.jpg

is sather the best coach available? probably not. is he the best fit for this team? without a doubt. sather's familiarity and success with coffey, gretzky, and messier gives this team undeniable chemistry. he successfully coached a high-octane, run-and-gun, offensive team to an impressive playoff record and several stanley cups.

with sather at the helm, the thistles will employ the approach of using offensively-gifted players on the penalty-kill. and, with the top-two shorthanded scorers in the thistles jersey, this tactic should suit the team well.

legends of hockey said:
Glen Cameron Sather, "Slats" to most people, was the most successful hockey executive of the 1980s as Edmonton Oilers coach and general manager when the team won the Stanley Cup an unbelievable five times between 1984 and 1990.

By 1982-83, Edmonton had reached the Stanley Cup finals against the New York Islanders, who won the Cup for the fourth straight year. But the following season the Oilers became almost unbeatable. They won the Cup that year and three more times in the next five years between 1983 and 1988. Sather faced another big challenge in coaching the Oilers after Gretzky was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in 1988. He acquired goalie xxxx xxxx from the Bruins and Mark Messier took over as team captain. With these important changes, the Oilers won the Cup again in 1990.

Sather is famous for his trademark "smirk" behind the bench. While some have described his look as arrogance, consider that Sather has the best winning percentage in the playoffs of any coach in the history of the game. Internationally, he led Team Canada to the 1984 Canada Cup championship and was general manager of the Canadian team that won the World Championship in 1994, Canada's first since 1961.

oilers legacy said:
When the Oilers acquired Gretzky and Sather was the general manager, Sather knew he had to surround his superstar with players who suited his creative, offensive-oriented style. Sather built the Oilers of the ‘80s around speed, finesse and a high-tempo passing game that saw the defencemen jump into the attack. Sather would also use offensive stars Gretzky and Jari Kurri as penalty killers, which led to shorthanded goals.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
It's a bit of a reach, but with teams filling out their bottom six forwards, the Dynamiters feel it's the right time to snag bang-and-crash winger RW Jerry Toppazzini.

Toppazzini's defensive acumen and hustle are great additions on their own, but his chemistry with Johnny Bucyk from their days together gives us a couple of interesting options up front. GBC had MacLeish and he together last draft, but we may try Bucyk-Federko-Toppazzini together with MacLeish-Middleton forming a natural and dangerous sniper/playmaker duo on the third line.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's a bit of a reach, but with teams filling out their bottom six forwards, the Dynamiters feel it's the right time to snag bang-and-crash winger RW Jerry Toppazzini.

Toppazzini's defensive acumen and hustle are great additions on their own, but his chemistry with Johnny Bucyk from their days together gives us a couple of interesting options up front. GBC had MacLeish and he together last draft, but we may try Bucyk-Federko-Toppazzini together with MacLeish-Middleton forming a natural and dangerous sniper/playmaker duo on the third line.

I really like the forwards you've got so far. A lot of intangibles, skill and leadership with your group. Not bad for a first time GM. Keep up the good work my friend.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I really like the forwards you've got so far. A lot of intangibles, skill and leadership with your group. Not bad for a first time GM. Keep up the good work my friend.

Thanks! It's too bad I made so many moves early, and I'll admit to not having a cohesive plan. But the pieces are falling into place to build what I think can be a special team.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

raleh pushed very hard for Topper in the last draft starting in about Round 12. We then played the waiting game, expecting him to drop, which he did, to our pick in 15 or 16 or something like that. We were very happy to get him for our two-way line.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Twins are unanimous that the next best pick on the blueline for our team, especially in a division with some big strong forwards who need to face some big, strong nastiness, is a rearguard no one likes but everyone admits has been effective in defensive defenseman Ulf Samuelsson.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Twins are unanimous that the next best pick on the blueline for our team, especially in a division with some big strong forwards who need to face some big, strong nastiness, is a rearguard no one likes but everyone admits has been effective in defensive defenseman Ulf Samuelsson.

Nice pick. I strongly considered him over Morrow, part because Ulf is one of my all-time favorites and I've love to have him anytime, and part because I love what he brings to the table. But, I decided that Morrow's a better fit(he's also another one of my all-time favorites). Still, very nice selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad