All-Time Draft #11, Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
343 - Reds4Life- Trinec Steelers - ON THE CLOCK (6 hours remaining)

344 - chaosrevolver & Boootthh - Team Soviet Union - list submitted
345 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs - list submitted
346 - GodBlessCanada & raleh - New Westminster Bruins - is around
347 - ToskaLOL - Glace Bay Miners
348 - nik jr. - lada togliatti
349 - Kyle McMahon - Hampton Roads Admirals

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Let me help you with that.

In 1923-24 in the USAHA, the other goalies were 1.67, 1.73, 2.20 and 2.87. Worters was 1.23. In the playoffs he was 0.86; the other two were 1.63 and 2.67.

In 1924-25, the other goalies were 1.38, 1.43, 1.72, 1.88, and 2.21. Worters was 0.81. In the playoffs, he was 1.20 and the others were 0.75 and 3.00.

He averaged 1.13 against a league average of roughly 1.69 among the others. His playoff average of 0.97 was much better than the average of the others (roughly 2.01)

it's worth noting that his team was first overall both seasons so clearly he could thrive on a good team. he was not just a "bad team goalie" - there were roughly a dozen great players in this pre-consolidation league who we took in ATD/MLD/AAA10. The best player in the league was Nels Stewart, by a good margin.

it is also worth noting that his team only had the 3rd leading scorer both years even though they were 1st overall. In 1924, Lionel Conacher led the team with 16 points, Stewart led the league with 29. And in 1925, their top scorer had 14 points; the leader had 24. I'm not going to go through the entire league but a scan of the scoring list makes it look like he was in goal for the weakest offensive team both years. edit: After a more in-depth look it appears he did indeed have the best offensive team; it was just more deep as opposed to relying on 1-2 players. Still, impressive GAA.

Much like Hasek in the late 80's, he wasn't in the top league, but he dominated it so sickly that it is more than feasible that he'd be one of the two best if he was in the top league, considering he was once he got there a year later.

I'm impressed.

That's for helping build my guy's case and looking up those stats. The reason I brought up the Yellowjackets was because they were indeed a great non-NHL team at the time, so it wasn't Worters dominating some scrub league. Your great research helps demonstrate that.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Time to pick before I go to bed. The New Westminster Bruins are ecstatic to select the coach that some in this draft regard as the greatest of all time, and an old friend of Rocket Richard:

Coach Hector "Toe" Blake​

If anyone has Toska's list, he's up.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
When I orginally got those 3 picks I was hoping to end up with a 3rd line of Northcott-Watson-Aurie. That would have been a downright nasty line to play against. I really like the Northcott-Schmidt-Broadbent line Champagne has managed to put together, just an awesome line (although not to play against).

Thanks a lot, Spit. Coming from a guy who's assembled his share of great lines, that's quite a compliment. I figure they'll pose a few challenges at both ends (and each side) of the ice for my opponents.

But we'll see. Nothing's a given in the ATD.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ouch man, it must kinda be a bitter pill to swallow to think you're getting Lester Patrick and have to settle for Bill Barilko.

I don't blame you for forgetting he was taken, though: prior to ATD10, he had been drafted 542nd, 456th, and 298th until I took him 346th which in retrospect was a steal but I didn't even think so at the time - I just had a wealth of picks in the mid-rounds, thought Patrick had the right skillset for my team, and didn't need to worry too much about value at that point .

Five months later, At 275th, I still think Kyle got a deal, and I hope Patrick's stock continues to rise in the next draft.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Time to pick before I go to bed. The New Westminster Bruins are ecstatic to select the coach that some in this draft regard as the greatest of all time, and an old friend of Rocket Richard:

Coach Hector "Toe" Blake​

If anyone has Toska's list, he's up.

Damnit! I just knew you would take Blake, tried with Kyle and Reds to move up!!! I am with no luck in this portion of the draft.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Hector Blake, coach

000095613.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1965, 1966, 1968)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1967)

- Coached the Montreal Canadiens for 13 straight season, from 1955 to 1968
- Won 8 Stanley Cup as a coach, including 5 in a row from 1956 to 1960
- In 13 NHL season behind the bench, Toe Blake never missed the playoffs
- As the Montreal Canadiens coach, he finished an incredible 9-time atop of the league

- In 914 games as a coach, Blake recorded 500 wins, 255 losses and 159 ties for an astounding winning percentage of .634.
- In 119 playoff games, Blake won 82 times, losing just 37 for a winning percentage of .689.

- "He had a memory like an elephant and he treated the players like men. He had a great feeling for the game and could mastermind behind the bench in a way nobody has ever been able to. Maybe (Scotty) Bowman can nowadays, but Toe, Toe was just too smart." - XXXX XXXXXXXX

- "Toe Blake hated to lose so much that he made us the same way." Defenceman Jean-Claude Tremblay.

-----------------------------------------------

Yea, the last two drafts saw some genuine selection, very few players fall where they shouldn't. You better be prepare with plan B and plan C on each selection.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Blake was the guy I wanted to coach this team almost from the outset. He's a lot like Arbour in that he's tough but fair. As the quote in Eagle's post says, he treated them like men. Maybe a little more demanding than Arbour, but he's not a totalitarian like Hap Day, and some of the other outstanding coaches available at this point.

We like that he knew how to handle Richard. That Montreal lockerroom in the late 50s was an eclectic bunch. Blake brought it all together. And we have that eclectic nature with our team, with guys like Richard, Fleury, K. Stevens, Brewer and O'Reilly. I've had Blake as a player before, and we nearly picked him this time, too. (We would have picked him if we didn't get Gardiner). But I've never had Blake as a coach. Scratch him from the "I've always wanted him, but never had him" list.

My team this draft is rivaling our ATD 8 team for getting players I want.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Butch Bouchard is another guy who is credited with really bringing that team together in the 1950s and keeping the prima donnas under control.

Alf Smith is a LW, he never switched wings as far as I know. Even when Phillips, the best LW in hockey, came to Ottawa, he stayed on the left side and Phillips went to the right.

I had a feeling Alf wouldn't last very long. He could play on a 2nd or 3rd line. And I was sort of hoping I could get him as an embarrassingly good 4th liner, but that was a pipe dream.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Alf Smith is a LW, he never switched wings as far as I know. Even when Phillips, the best LW in hockey, came to Ottawa, he stayed on the left side and Phillips went to the right.

I thought for sure he played left side on that Smith-McGee-Gilmour trio, but I fast check and saw on two different site that they rated him as a RW. Next time, I'll take my memory over what ''sites'' are telling me :P

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Interesting. Which sites have him as a RW? I'd like to investigate this further tonight and see if he was, indeed a multi-wing player.

Smith's an excellent player, BTW. Second most important member of the silver seven dynasty offensively, defensively, and leadership-wise. Most important in toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad