GDT: All things training camp

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Tbf, Appleton was third on the Jets in 5v5 ice time/game, Nino was 7th and Iafallo 8th(if you don't include the two rentals).

Barron was the only guy not near or above 12 mins a night. (Way down under 9). He was also the best of the 4 in scoring rate oddly enough. He and Nino were a level above Iafallo and Appleton.
well if we look at the other wingers on the list as well:
perfetti 19 goals
ehlers 25 goals
vilardi 22 goals
connor 34 goals

bottom line is they are all legitimate nhl players

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I thought if they actually rolled with that Nino Lambert Iafallo line Barron would be a good player to step in there with Lowry. Alas :laugh:
Didn't Barron start last year on Lowry's line and Nino was on Perfetti's wing until Vilardi went down?

I feel like they targeted Barron in thr Copp trade specifically to play in his spot on Lowry's left side

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
AHLppleton must have some good dirt on Chevy and /or AHLrneil, Barron clearly the better player and yet Mr. can’t Score on an empty net still stinks up the turd line!

Reactions: bustamente
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine was 2oa and scored nearly 40 goals, not points, as an 18 year old. That's not normal. Not even close to normal. That's not happening with these prospect we're discussing, not really the same level at all to compare.

And Ehlers couldn't play in the AHL he wasn't 20. That's been changed now post covid i beleive.
It’s back to normal regarding CHL junior leagues and the AHL.

Reactions: DRW204

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Comparing Jason Robertson to Chibrikov. Seriously what are we doing here.
Don’t be stupid. Literally no one is doing that.

The prospects didn't show enough to the people who are put in charge of putting this team together, no matter how much we huff and puff that is not changing any time soon.
Or, they are just too risk averse.

No just no. you see, the Jets are wrong. Even though they have the most viewings, and information on their own prospects and a legitimate qualified opinion, they're just wrong. It's their fault that Chibrikov is not a 2nd coming of Jason Robertson
I’m not sure anyone is looking for Jason Robertson. Hard to know what you have when you stagnate kids.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah i think both Lambert and Chibrikov are ready, but people are more high on Lambert because he's more electric.

Chibrikov manages the puck better and is a winger, both of which I think make him the more nhl ready of the 2. He has more pro experience as well.
What do you or others think of Lambert putting himself in situations for big hits? I remember @surixon talking about how Lowry let off on him in practice, but he did take some big shots in preseason. Definitely an electrifying player. Chibrikov seems more of heads up player at this stage, but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
So after reading the past 11teen pages we can deduce the current scenario with the team is basically one of the following:
1. The team we ran last year is full of great players, none are expendable.
2. The team is very risk adverse and would rather play mostly last year’s roster than inserting rooks and risk losing someone on waivers or losing a year of ELC.
3. We suck at drafting and none of the rooks are good enough to make the team (or dress in the playoffs).

Reactions: Dirtbag151

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So after reading the past 11teen pages we can deduce the current scenario with the team is basically one of the following:
1. The team we ran last year is full of great players, none are expendable.
2. The team is very risk adverse and would rather play mostly last year’s roster than inserting rooks and risk losing someone on waivers or losing a year of ELC.
3. We suck at drafting and none of the rooks are good enough to make the team (or dress in the playoffs).
I think every fan would be happy if the same team started off again with 30 wins, before making a roster addition that cost a 1st round pick. Same scenario again, but having a 1st round pick and a few 2nds ready to jump in, might save Chevy in trade capital. Very few teams can keep a roster together in the Cap era, so that's one way to build and grow chemistry.

The bottom falling out is still a realistic possibility, in which case everyone's favourite rookies will get playing time.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
??????????????

And keeping Coglan.
Hopefully he's #7 as an extra skater in practice. If there is another injury be interesting to see if Salomonsson and Lundmark get playing time first.

I wonder if the Jets kept 3 goalies because they knew Anaheim was going to look for one, with Gibson out. They can probably safely demote Comrie, when the first d-man gets healthy. Minnesota kept 3 goalies up too, this season. It's not a bad idea for competition, and if you plan to give Helly a night off, you can dress your two backups.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I’m not sure anyone is looking for Jason Robertson. Hard to know what you have when you stagnate kids.
Then why did YOU use him as an example?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Hopefully he's #7 as an extra skater in practice. If there is another injury be interesting to see if Salomonsson and Lundmark get playing time first.

I wonder if the Jets kept 3 goalies because they knew Anaheim was going to look for one, with Gibson out. They can probably safely demote Comrie, when the first d-man gets healthy. Minnesota kept 3 goalies up too, this season. It's not a bad idea for competition, and if you plan to give Helly a night off, you can dress your two backups.
they kept 3 goalies because helle had a family matter to deal with, arneil has said that they will send a goalie down

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My guess is there isn't enough minutes to go around this way. The real issue for integrating young players is the Lowry line. You need to play a specific game to have success on that line and we don't really draft player types high that play that north south grind game.
But it doesn't have to be that way. This is an organizational decision. If you were willing to inject young talent you could balance out the lines, equal out the ice time, along side a little sheltering. You can run a 3rd line of Nino-Lambert-Iafallo and a 4th line of Barron-Lowry-Apples with roughly even minutes. Defaulting Lowry's line to the defensive zone and the new 3rd line to the offensive zone. You could also work Lambert into the 2nd PP and every once in awhile in a lopsided game switch out Names from the #2 center with Lambert and let him run a bit. By seasons end maybe we have gone down the path of developing a #2 center for the future, instead of having to rent one for the playoffs with our 2025 1st.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I did exactly that. Used him as an example of a young player being given a shot on a competing team.

No one is saying Chibrikov is comparable in any way but age.
Then it's a shitty example if we're talking about Chibs lol

Why not just use Bedard?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

maybe you're the one that's stupid? you brought him up as an example in post #1133 along with a bunch of other good-to-great NHL players & top-10 picks, as some gotcha that the Jets should be putting 20 years old (for ex: Chibrikov) in the NHL. the lotto picks or top-10 picks are a ridiculous comparison, they will get opportunities faster than most and other mid prospects. Perfetti was on the Jets right away as you noted, Laine too. They'll get shots if they're v good.

so, how is Chibrikov comparable NHL player to Robertson - who you brought up - and why should he be in the lineup similarly?
is Chibrikov putting up 0.88ppg (which would've ranked 3rd on the Jets last year) his first full year in the NHL? or a Hart Trophy level player the next couple years? Maybe just maybe, Robertson's actual NHL production+skill+talent & maybe fit on the team is why he got a shot earlier and not just because they're close to the same age.

lol no. it's hard for YOU to know what the Jets have b/c you're a random on an internet forum.

the teams know far more than you in what they have in their prospects and their current/future capabilities. how did chibrikov stagnate YoY from 22-23 when he played in Russia and 23-24 when he played for the Moose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad