GDT: All things training camp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly Chibrikov has a bit more to prove in the AHL. He needs work on his defense and he needs to learn to dominate game in and game out. He's got the skill and attributes and I expect him to be a full time roster player next year.

Brad imo could play right now. My guess is he comes up at some point and doesn't go back down ala Connor.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He doesn't necessarily need to be -
You could also look at the ceiling for these players and plan for one to be better than the other at some point -
Some might assume that these young guys will grow at a faster rate if given an opportunity to play with better players -

Or we can continue with the theory that bringing players in too quick will break them -
I like that one because it's a fail safe excuse to never do anything - and the plugs will always be safe.

Just another way to look at it - and a little less risk adverse.
Also allows your best prospects more opportunity over the plug - which is how it should be (at least some times) IMO
The bolded is a myth. Bringing in 18 y/o freshly drafted players or still junior eligible players is rushing and risking development. But both Lambert and Salo are D +3 and Chibrokov is D +4. Hell Perfetti is only D +5 and is on his 2nd contract.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Honestly Chibrikov has a bit more to prove in the AHL. He needs work on his defense and he needs to learn to dominate game in and game out. He's got the skill and attributes and I expect him to be a full time roster player next year.

Brad imo could play right now. My guess is he comes up at some point and doesn't go back down ala Connor.
Agreed on Chibby, Lambert when called up needs to come up confident and not over think things

Reactions: GNP and surixon

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Agreed. It is way past over due that this organization inject youth and talent over the status quo. It seems we are always more worried about losing a 4th line/PB/Tweener then building for the future. We keep guys around like Kupari that are a dime a dozen with many comparable players just released on waivers. Instead of giving roles to future building blocks so they can get NHL experience and grow into their roles. We were most successful as an organization after a couple years of flooding the team with talented youth in the 15-16 and 16-17 season and then going on a playoff run 17-18. The organization is way to damn conservative IMO.
Agree

I think I also expected some more “a bit more” youth injection this year with Arniel at helm

If Salo makes the team in the end once the goalie situation is sorted I’ll feel a smidge better about that aspect. Personally felt that Lambert would have been good for the big club based on pre season

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The thing is you aren't going to hurt Chibrokov in the NHL. He will be turning 22 this season and is D +4. He has a year of KHL experience and a year of AHL experience. Let him play in the NHL and he very well might grow by leaps and bounds by playing his tenacious style of game with NHL players.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

That’s what I’m hoping re: Lambert

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The thing is you aren't going to hurt Chibrokov in the NHL. He will be turning 22 this season and is D +4. He has a year of KHL experience and a year of AHL experience. Let him play in the NHL and he very well might grow by leaps and bounds by playing his tenacious style of game with NHL players.

I'm not saying you'd hurt him by bringing him up. I just don't think you are hurting him by giving him a bit more seasoning either.

Not really sure how much Brad will have to prove down there. Personally I don't like Name at 2C and would rather live with the growing pains integrating Brad.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The bolded is a myth. Bringing in 18 y/o freshly drafted players or still junior eligible players is rushing and risking development. But both Lambert and Salo are D +3 and Chibrokov is D +4. Hell Perfetti is only D +5 and is on his 2nd contract.
I don't think the Jets wanted to burn a year off Perfetti's ELC. But an injury to Wheeler and Ehlers too IIRC left the team short on skilled forwards. Turns out he had a short season, shoulders weren't ready for the next level. That would be the concerning thing about Lambert too, though a year older, maybe not filled out yet, for the grind of an NHL season...Chibrikov is ready to play, maybe some minor details, but he's got an NHL game, just waiting for an opportunity.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Posters always want prospects to get big roles for as long as I've been on HF. Like predicting guys like Dano or Petan will be on the 2nd line and stuff like that. But then sometimes it happens when no one suspects, like Morrissey making the Jets when guys were starting to think maybe he was a bust.

I'll also add I think Connor was sent down in his D+2 as well, played 4 games then got called up and had a great year. That could very well be the case, especially if there is an injury.
Yes if an injury occurs in the top 6 like in 2017 I think Lambert gets called up. Connor didn't start the year on the team and who knows how long it would've taken if there wasn't that injury to Perrault. Similarly, Roslovic got called up as well in 2018 following Tanev being on IR.

I said in the OP an in-season injury could be a possible trigger for a call up given the fwd groups the same as 2023s start.

Reactions: voyageur

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Again, you're assuming the prospect won't be a plug

As I've pointed out, Chib's AHL numbers are inferior to Appleton's. That's a good indication of his ceiling

What about his size and play away from the puck?
Appleton hadn’t played an ahl game at Chibrikov’s age.

He plays bigger than he is and improved his play away from the puck immensely last year.

If he turns into Appleton, that’s still better than Gus and Kupari imo.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
League needs a rule that each team needs to play one rookie per game. Would ultimately increase the quality of players/leage.
I'm sure the vets would love to let that pass in the CBA

Teams will hold rookies back in thr AHL purposefully to make sure they're more "pro-ready"

Contending teams will hate having a weaker spot in their line up just because

Lots of reasons why that's a bad idea

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I'm sure the vets would love to let that pass in the CBA

Teams will hold rookies back in thr AHL purposefully to make sure they're more "pro-ready"

Contending teams will hate having a weaker spot in their line up just because

Lots of reasons why that's a bad idea
Lots of good reasons as well. So many young players never get a sniff of nhl and many would thrive.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Lots of good reasons as well. So many young players never get a sniff of nhl and many would thrive.
The NHL is a meritocracy. Despite what people think in here about their favorite pet prospects, the best young players will end up in the NHL playing meaningful roles

Tweeners will always be tweeners

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You can't make roster decisions based on a few meaningless preseason games vs other teams AHL/ECHL/CHL players

I don't know why people keep mistaking training camp for tryouts. Vets don't care about it and coaches and management already know what 99% of their rosters are. People put too much stock into it. Guys like Iafallo have a history of good bottom 6 play in NHL. Barron had a good year last year. That trumps a couple of nothing games.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't know why people keep mistaking training camp for tryouts. Vets don't care about it and coaches and management already know what 99% of their rosters are. People put too much stock into it. Guys like Iafallo have a history of good bottom 6 play in NHL. Barron had a good year last year. That trumps a couple of nothing games.
Rosters are pretty much set after July 1

If a team is going to integrate a rookie, chances are that that decision was factored into the FA signings

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
IMO Chibrikov outplayed 22, 9 and all the other bottom 6 players minus Nino.

He should be on the team, IMO.
Like Arniel said the other they they don’t just judge them in games. He brought out Les so then in practice. Watches them more closely in how they play defensively, boxing out players running proper routes etc. they have a way bigger playlist to call from then a few mediocre games.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Like Arniel said the other they they don’t just judge them in games. He brought out Les so then in practice. Watches them more closely in how they play defensively, boxing out players running proper routes etc. they have a way bigger playlist to call from then a few mediocre games.
Yup. Play away from the puck is so much more important than plays with the puck. A 4th line guy might have the puck on his stick for 15-20 seconds out of the 10 minutes he plays

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
“If I’m a young player in the Jets organization today, I’m pretty excited about the opportunities in front of me. I’m working hard in the off-season to make sure I can take full advantage,” said Cheveldayoff.

….. right. Ok. Have to say, it is a bit funny.

Anyways, im nonetheless excited for the season. But wished that the organization had the nerve to actually do what they insinuated, and I have a feeling if they want to take a step forward, they’ll have to take a risk by playing some of these young players that didn’t make the team. Those are my thoughts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad