All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
A thread to discuss Sabres ownership.

The Pegula's are facing some opposition to their bid to become the majority shareholder in local venture capital firm Rand Capital
https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo...ital-responds-to-shareholder-concerns-on.html

They should invest a pile of money in SoccerDreams: World's first VR soccer training platform.
SoccerDream: World's first VR soccer training platform to launch in China, US
Develop it for hockey and real football played by real men.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Pegula's now control Rand Capital
Rand Capital shareholders approve contested deal with Pegulas

Maybe now they can address the curse that has been plaguing the Bills and Sabres. Hire exorcists, voodoo priests, witches, and vegans. Have a 5 day "End the Curse" pagan festival and perform a different exorcism ritual every day. I want to see a Mardi Gras style event with non-stop partying on the streets of Buffalo. When the evil spirits see we have turned this negative into a positive they will flee to Boston.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The Pegula's now control Rand Capital
Rand Capital shareholders approve contested deal with Pegulas

Maybe now they can address the curse that has been plaguing the Bills and Sabres. Hire exorcists, voodoo priests, witches, and vegans. Have a 5 day "End the Curse" pagan festival and perform a different exorcism ritual every day. I want to see a Mardi Gras style event with non-stop partying on the streets of Buffalo. When the evil spirits see we have turned this negative into a positive they will flee to Boston.

At this point I don’t even care if that works if it gives us an excuse to have a party like that every year.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Wasn't Rand Capital the company in Iron Fist? So the Pegulas are connected to the Hand? Now it makes sense.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Last thing I want to get off my chest after a long board hiatus:

Pegula buys this team 8.5 years ago with a simple, heartfelt mindset. He read a book called "Your Second Half" that convinced him he had to spend the second half of his life on some higher purpose. That purpose, for him, was winning Stanley Cups. He cried when they introduced his childhood hero. He started on a branding tear about Hockey Heaven. He had them make plaques proclaiming his goals and put them by the locker room. He poured money into anything shiny. Inserted himself personally into negotiations, flying out to meet guys like Regehr to convince them to come, feting Mike Babcock, etc. He more or less believed that he was going to be the reason for a golden age of hockey here, and his sense of personal identity was deeply tied up in this.

He showed shitty process and judgment. Pressured his front office to make big signings, throwing stupid money after Shane Doan, finally succeeding in getting Leino. Fired Darcy and Lindy the day after the arena finally chanted for it. Hired Lafontaine based on some fishing trip or something they went on. Claimed (well after the fact) that he then didn't have any oversight into hiring Murray. Rubber stamped now four head coaches who either had no head coaching experience or had been out of the league for years. Generally put pressure on big money moves, and then finally (obviously) pressured Botterill to make the ROR deal before his bonus kicked in, even if Botterill acknowledged publicly that the return would've been better the day after. Still cannot bring himself to hire a team president. His team is leading in the race to be the worst in the NHL over the entire decade. Good players come here and crash (Scandella, Okposo, Kulikov). Struggling players leave here and flourish -- fill the rosters of playoff contenders (Myers, Kane, Zadorov, Kulikov), get nominated for awards (Lehner, ROR).

All of this has to throw a serious wrench into this guy's sense of identity. All of this has to seriously f*** with his Messiah complex. He's not a neutral moneymaker here, he wants to win badly and is at least partially responsible for the worst period of Sabres history.

At what point does Pegula walk away from this and just sell the team? At what point is it all too much? Does somebody need to send him a book about "Your Third Third"?

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Pegula buys this team 8.5 years ago with a simple, heartfelt mindset. He read a book called "Your Second Half" that convinced him he had to spend the second half of his life on some higher purpose. That purpose, for him, was winning Stanley Cups. He cried when they introduced his childhood hero. He started on a branding tear about Hockey Heaven. He had them make plaques proclaiming his goals and put them by the locker room. He poured money into anything shiny. Inserted himself personally into negotiations, flying out to meet guys like Regehr to convince them to come, feting Mike Babcock, etc. He more or less believed that he was going to be the reason for a golden age of hockey here, and his sense of personal identity was deeply tied up in this.

He showed ****ty process and judgment. Pressured his front office to make big signings, throwing stupid money after Shane Doan, finally succeeding in getting Leino. Fired Darcy and Lindy the day after the arena finally chanted for it. Hired Lafontaine based on some fishing trip or something they went on. Claimed (well after the fact) that he then didn't have any oversight into hiring Murray. Rubber stamped now four head coaches who either had no head coaching experience or had been out of the league for years. Generally put pressure on big money moves, and then finally (obviously) pressured Botterill to make the ROR deal before his bonus kicked in, even if Botterill acknowledged publicly that the return would've been better the day after. Still cannot bring himself to hire a team president. His team is leading in the race to be the worst in the NHL over the entire decade.

All of this has to throw a serious wrench into this guy's sense of identity. All of this has to seriously **** with his Messiah complex. He's not a neutral moneymaker here, he wants to win badly and is at least partially responsible for the worst period of Sabres history.

At what point does Pegula walk away from this? At what point is it all too much? Does somebody need to send him a book about "Your Third Third"?

I don't think anything changes until the day Pegula says, "I'm out of all decision making" and "we need multiple experienced hockey CEO" types to run the Hockey Operations. If Pegula keeps his hand in the pot, keeps hiring rookie GMs with no experience, etc... nothing is going to change.

There is on thing that gives me hope... and it's the idea that Kreuger has that CEO experience, and is going to transition upstairs at some point...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I don't think anything changes until the day Pegula says, "I'm out of all decision making" and "we need multiple experienced hockey CEO" types to run the Hockey Operations. If Pegula keeps his hand in the pot, keeps hiring rookie GMs with no experience, etc... nothing is going to change.

There is on thing that gives me hope... and it's the idea that Kreuger has that CEO experience, and is going to transition upstairs at some point...
I see your point. But in case I wasn't clear, I'm frankly wondering when he just gets discouraged and SELLS.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Why would he do that?

Because he's not the hero he thought he was. He's actually unwittingly the villain. And every year that he spends pouring his heart into something he's so anti-qualified for twists the knife.

You've got billions, you feel the need to serve a higher purpose -- when he finally comes to terms with it, why not spend your life at something you actually believe you'll make better?

Reactions: coastal

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Because he's not the hero he thought he was. He's actually unwittingly the villain. And every year that he spends pouring his heart into something he's so anti-qualified for twists the knife.
Do you think his ego is that fragile? Do you think he is that short-sighted?

His sports ventures have been successful from a business side.

Who would he sell to?

What you're describing would be a level of petulance nearly unheard of in sports ownership.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

That's the way it is in the NHL, almost no one gets a second chance at being an NHL GM these days.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Do you think his ego is that fragile? Do you think he is that short-sighted?

His sports ventures have been successful from a business side.

Who would he sell to?

What you're describing would be a level of petulance nearly unheard of in sports ownership.

A) Unheard of means nothing. I'm sure when guys decide to sell a team for petty reasons, they announce good reasons. And it's not a petty reason if he's right. The team might very well be better off with a disinterested bean counter in charge.

B) Pegula is a rare bird. Not many guys buy the team with the kind of public, personal emotional investment in delivering a golden age. Not many people announce at the presser that they assessed their lives at midpoint and determined that they had to purposefully direct the second half towards a higher calling, which was going to be creating Hockey Heaven.

C) He'd sell to a billionaire. They're falling off of trees.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It was a giant mistake that he bought the Bills. I said that day, that it’ll split his attention in two, which is why we never hear about him and the Sabres.

I’ll always be grateful that the team is still here, but the price shouldn’t be sports hell.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Didn't Harrington of all people ask him during the Murray firing press conference if he was considering a Hockey Ops type of hire and he gave a Trump like scoff and said he didn't think it was necessary? Or am I completely imagining that?

I think my hope at this point is that Krueger eventually moves up to that role and a guy like Velluci takes over a head coach in a few years. It would be a dream scenario at this point. Krueger seems like he has the type of personality where he can reason with Terry enough to get him to stay in his lane. I would even take Ruff in that role at this point. It's very obvious that it's necessary.

Reactions: kundahlini

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Doesn’t he have Kim running the Sabres?

Just be patient... she doesn’t have a vision yet of what this is supposed to look like, but she’s learning.

Member 308457

He showed ****ty process and judgment. Pressured his front office to make big signings, throwing stupid money after Shane Doan, finally succeeding in getting Leino. Fired Darcy and Lindy the day after the arena finally chanted for it. Hired Lafontaine based on some fishing trip or something they went on. Claimed (well after the fact) that he then didn't have any oversight into hiring Murray. Rubber stamped now four head coaches who either had no head coaching experience or had been out of the league for years. Generally put pressure on big money moves, and then finally (obviously) pressured Botterill to make the ROR deal before his bonus kicked in, even if Botterill acknowledged publicly that the return would've been better the day after. Still cannot bring himself to hire a team president. His team is leading in the race to be the worst in the NHL over the entire decade. Good players come here and crash (Scandella, Okposo, Kulikov). Struggling players leave here and flourish -- fill the rosters of playoff contenders (Myers, Kane, Zadorov, Kulikov), get nominated for awards (Lehner, ROR).

All of this has to throw a serious wrench into this guy's sense of identity. All of this has to seriously **** with his Messiah complex. He's not a neutral moneymaker here, he wants to win badly and is at least partially responsible for the worst period of Sabres history.

At what point does Pegula walk away from this and just sell the team? At what point is it all too much? Does somebody need to send him a book about "Your Third Third"?

God I hate the Pegulas. And the shills on this board makes me want to retch.

Reactions: kundahlini

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's the way it is in the NHL, almost no one gets a second chance at being an NHL GM these days.

You sure?

Anaheim - Bob Murray
Carolina - Don Waddell
Edmonton - Ken Holland
Florida - Dale Tallon
Nashville - David Poille
New Jersey - Ray Shero
New York - Lou Lam
New York - Jeff Gorton
Philly - Chuck Fletcher
Pittsburgh - Jim Rutherford
St Louis - Doug Armstrong
Vegas - George McPhee

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
What about what I said makes me an *******.

She’s a waitress that married a billionaire. How does that qualify her to run a professional sports franchise?

Oh I know... it doesn’t.

Her results speak for themselves.
The only thing that qualifies anyone to run a professional sports franchise is having the money to do so. What an absurd thing to say.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Kim Pegula: 'It was a lot of different things' that led to recent PSE changes

Kim Pegula: 'It was a lot of different things' that led to recent PSE changes

The Bills and Sabres co-owner spoke to reporters on Tuesday

“Pegula said she’s still not certain exactly how she wants to structure PSE going forward.
“Well right now, honestly, I don't know yet how I want it to look at the end of the day," she said. "I'm still learning, and now that there's been a couple more layers that have been taken away it's just allowed me to learn more and understand more.”

...more...

This is who is running the Sabres. She’s firing people and hiring people and admittedly doesn’t know wtf she is doing.

But chill... she’s learning... she’s got this.

clearly.

Reactions: WJZ3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad