All things Pegula 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
So much of this angst would simply go away if one of the Pegula's did a press conference or interview and said "Yes, we see these issues and feel the fan's concerns. We have a plan and are actively working to improve not only the team on the ice but the fan experience as well."

Hell, they don't even need to go into specifics and it could all be BS but at least people will feel like they're being heard and their opinions matter.
I could go for that as long as waterboarding is permitted to clarify evasive answers.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Surprised no one mentioned the layoffs at PSE.

The Pegulas are clearly in cash-save mode with the Sabres and I saw it first hand, as they cut a ton of stuff this season, including 401k match, which was the last straw for me.

Reactions: Buffaloed

WYFR

StanleyCupSabres
Nov 3, 2011
North Carolina
I don't want to point blame at the Pegula's or specifically Kim, but what qualifications do they/does she have to operate a sports team?

I tried to read up on Kim here- https://www.democratandchronicle.co...-making-difference-adopted-hometown/32166573/

She got a communications degree, then was handed a job by her new boyfriend and future husband. Maybe I need to do some more reading, but does she have any experience or training that would make her a decent president of a sports team?

Reactions: coastal

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't want to point blame at the Pegula's or specifically Kim, but what qualifications do they/does she have to operate a sports team?

I tried to read up on Kim here- Kim Pegula: From orphan to NFL owner

She got a communications degree, then was handed a job by her new boyfriend and future husband. Maybe I need to do some more reading, but does she have any experience or training that would make her a decent president of a sports team?
She was a cheerleader in high school and attended Amerks games.

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
I liked Ted Black a lot, miss that guy. The Sabres started feeling like a cold, uncaring, negligent organization after he left...while he was there I always felt the team was listening to and interacting with the fans.

These days, fans are either talked down to by the GM that thinks he knows better or are otherwise outright ignored by ownership.

Getting rid of Ted Black was a big mistake and IMO a turning point for the Organization with regard to the fan experience and transparency, IMO.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I liked Ted Black a lot, miss that guy. The Sabres started feeling like a cold, uncaring, negligent organization after he left...while he was there I always felt the team was listening to and interacting with the fans.

These days, fans are either talked down to by the GM that thinks he knows better or are otherwise outright ignored by ownership.

Getting rid of Ted Black was a big mistake and IMO a turning point for the Organization with regard to the fan experience and transparency, IMO.
I don't care to look it up but why was black fired again?

Reactions: seagull

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

I had season tix still when he was doing those STH meet and greets. It was towards the end of the season, and was clearly not the first one of these he had done. There were about 4 people in the room that were the typical WGR Whiner Line types just hammering him with stupid questions, and he stood there and took it, and didn't fluff answer them back.

I don't know what else went on that I never saw, but Ted seemed like a really stand up guy that meshed well with our fanbase. It really is a shame that's the choice they made.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

She's been involved in the management of multi-billion dollar businesses since 1991. She's certainly picked up some things along the way. How she got the job or her original degree isn't relevant; there are tons of people in the world that have a successful career completely unrelated to their earned degree.

The Pegulas have made mistakes. They wouldn't be the first owners of a sports team to get so focused on numbers that they lose sight of the big picture. Look at the Red Sox; owned by Fenway Sports Group worth $6.6B , and just traded a generational star away because of a $10M luxury tax bill.

Mistakes are mistakes. I want to see if they are learning from them and what they do next.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
She's been involved in the management of multi-billion dollar businesses since 1991. She's certainly picked up some things along the way. How she got the job or her original degree isn't relevant; there are tons of people in the world that have a successful career completely unrelated to their earned degree.

The Pegulas have made mistakes. They wouldn't be the first owners of a sports team to get so focused on numbers that they lose sight of the big picture. Look at the Red Sox; owned by Fenway Sports Group worth $6.6B , and just traded a generational star away because of a $10M luxury tax bill.

Mistakes are mistakes. I want to see if they are learning from them and what they do next.
Until she is in the building on a regular basis, all she is doing is playing at team President. She wants the title but doesn't want to do the work.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't care to look it up but why was black fired again?
He wasn't fired! :laugh:

When they purchased the Bills the Pegula's decided it would be best if one man, Russ Brandon, was president of both organizations. That turned out really well.
The Sabres rebuild is composed of 2 distinct phases, Terry and Kim. Black, Lafontaine, Nolan, Murray, Bylsma were part of the Terry years. The Kim dynasty began with Brandon.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
He wasn't fired! :laugh:

When they purchased the Bills the Pegula's decided it would be best if one man, Russ Brandon, was president of both organizations. That turned out really well.
The Sabres rebuild is composed of 2 distinct phases, Terry and Kim. Black, Lafontaine, Nolan, Murray, Bylsma were part of the Terry years. The Kim dynasty began with Brandon.

Barf

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Until she is in the building on a regular basis, all she is doing is playing at team President. She wants the title but doesn't want to do the work.

IMO, that's not really true anymore. Video conferencing, online collaboration, etc. 20 years ago, hell even 10, I would agree that she needed to be in house every day to be effective. That's just not true anymore.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX

This is kind of a silly thing. Someone has to make the decision of who is charge and then someone has to make the decision of who is charge of making the decision of who is charge. How many owners buy a team and are 'qualified' to make the decision or make the decision of who is to make the decision?

The qualification is money. They had enough money to buy the team. If they didn't buy the team, do you think that some hockey genius was going to buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad