Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Have to think these last 3 games are it for Bemstrom as a Bluejacket

He's had a fair chance

I predict he's traded for the ever popular "future considerations"
Fair chance is subjective.
Did you know Bemstrom hasn’t played more than 52 mins with any two players on the team? How are you supposed to develop chemistry?

Future considerations lol?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He does things well and there is offense in there. You can see it when he plays. But he plays so tight and so rigid.

I agree he will likely be traded. And it’s unfortunate

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Almost like there was a coach that wasn’t good at building up a player’s confidence
While I don’t think he’s been given a completely fair shake sometimes, he’s been here for three years now. He’s had two coaches. You can give opportunities but you can’t make a kid not play tight. That’s something, along with injuries, that’s plagued him his entire tenure here. That’s not only on coaching, the player needs to be accountable as well.

I don’t think you just give up on him. But if someone likes him as a sweetener in another deal you have to consider it with this logjam incoming

Reactions: Hello Johnny

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
While I don’t think he’s been given a completely fair shake sometimes, he’s been here for three years now. He’s had two coaches. You can give opportunities but you can’t make a kid not play tight. That’s something, along with injuries, that’s plagued him his entire tenure here. That’s not only on coaching, the player needs to be accountable as well.

I don’t think you just give up on him. But if someone likes him as a sweetener in another deal you have to consider it with this logjam incoming
giving them consistent time will cause them not to play tight IMO. Knowing that you can make mistakes and still be in the lineup.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
giving them consistent time will cause them not to play tight IMO. Knowing that you can make mistakes and still be in the lineup.
He’s played like 10 straight games now. He was a lineup fixture when healthy early in his rookie year. He’s been given chances. Maybe not as much as say Texier, but he’s also not shown anything close to what Texier has either

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Have to think these last 3 games are it for Bemstrom as a Bluejacket

He's had a fair chance

I predict he's traded for the ever popular "future considerations"
Might be his last 3 games but he's still got more value than future considerations. I was a strong supporter for a long time but something is amiss with his game. Just hasn't found the connection on the team.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
He’s played like 10 straight games now. He was a lineup fixture when healthy early in his rookie year. He’s been given chances. Maybe not as much as say Texier, but he’s also not shown anything close to what Texier has either
10 straight games while still playing 3/4 line with PP time. On pace with Danforth and out producing Chinakhov - both who have been able to play with better players for most of their time here. This isn’t a 1st round pick, but a 4th rounder. They take time. Ask Viktor Arvidsson.

Should we move on from Foudy too since he is older and hasn’t shown anything? No. These guys are RFA and have no leverage. Sign them to a 2 year deal and if they don’t stick by then, see ya.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
10 straight games while still playing 3/4 line with PP time. On pace with Danforth and out producing Chinakhov - both who have been able to play with better players for most of their time here. This isn’t a 1st round pick, but a 4th rounder. They take time. Ask Viktor Arvidsson.

Should we move on from Foudy too since he is older and hasn’t shown anything? No. These guys are RFA and have no leverage. Sign them to a 2 year deal and if they don’t stick by then, see ya.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Foudy moved along either. However, he still has another year on his contract and is AHL eligible so he could potentially stick around.

Again, I don’t want to give up on bemmer. I think he still has good potential. But there’s a lack of room on the team with all the young players coming in. Something has to give.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I wouldn’t be surprised if Foudy moved along either. However, he still has another year on his contract and is AHL eligible so he could potentially stick around.

Again, I don’t want to give up on bemmer. I think he still has good potential. But there’s a lack of room on the team with all the young players coming in. Something has to give.
Who are these young players coming in that are going to take his spot? Marchenko is one year younger and zero NHL experience. Johnson is a C/LW and might not even be ready, or at least Larsen thinks not. Chinakhov, who despite playing 127 minutes with Voracek and Sillinger, is getting outscored by Bemstrom and outscored by Bemstrom when comparing the same age?

Marchenko and Johnson should not be bottom 6 guys, Bemstrom can be a bottom 6 guy or more. But why would you not extend him? Stenlund got extended and has played in the AHL. Marchessault took forever to finally stick (age 25). Why would you not keep a player if he has shown glimpses of what he could be, and you have all the leverage during the contract negotiations?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
A lot of excuses being made for this player. Too early to write him completely off but at some point as a player you have to seize your opportunity and I haven't seen proof of that to this point.

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Who are these young players coming in that are going to take his spot? Marchenko is one year younger and zero NHL experience. Johnson is a C/LW and might not even be ready, or at least Larsen thinks not. Chinakhov, who despite playing 127 minutes with Voracek and Sillinger, is getting outscored by Bemstrom and outscored by Bemstrom when comparing the same age?

Marchenko and Johnson should not be bottom 6 guys, Bemstrom can be a bottom 6 guy or more. But why would you not extend him? Stenlund got extended and has played in the AHL. Marchessault took forever to finally stick (age 25). Why would you not keep a player if he has shown glimpses of what he could be, and you have all the leverage during the contract negotiations?

We keep having this same conversation across different threads. Your questions haven’t changed, my response hasn’t changed. I’m not saying you’re wrong or that I disagree but I just don’t see it here for him.

Stenlund was only extended for the expansion draft and nothing more.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He'll be qualified without a doubt but the numbers game is starting to work against him. I get that some of these others don't have NHL experience, and that's an advantage to Emil. But only if he takes advantage. I've said it before, I like the kid. I think he has some skills. He's shown his shot can be unbelievable. He's a good skater. Takes the body. What I struggle with, because I'm not an expert, is if he has so many positive traits, why does he not play more. At some point this is on the player. The coaches aren't penalizing him because they don't like him. Clearly they see something that doesn't keep him in the lineup in the top 6 or even top 9. Something hasn't clicked for him and it's clear with all the injuries the team doesn't feel he deserves something more.

I made these excuses for Wennberg for quite some time. Really liked him but at some point it was on him. Granted, the coach and Wennberg's game didn't seem to coincide but watching him elsewhere these days... he is who he is. I feel the same with Emil. And I get he's only 3 years in the league. Jarmo himself is on record that players can take 5-8 years to really become who they are. I don't think CBJ will wait that long with Emil. Too many young guys to provide opportunity right now. Someone will seize it. Emil hasn't. Tough but I think this is on him at this point. Just my opinion. I'd like to see him succeed. He's shown flashes but they flash too little and, are flashes.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The ice time, linemates, and production are facts.

24th in scoring among his draft class. Drafted 117.
The bolded are still excuses even if you want to call them facts.

The second part supports my point that it's too early to write him off. He will probably move on and flouish elsewhere.

He's had a lot of opportunity here for someone drafted at that number without playing much at all in the minors. Unfortunately for him there's a lot of competition around him now and not many spots.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
He'll be qualified without a doubt but the numbers game is starting to work against him. I get that some of these others don't have NHL experience, and that's an advantage to Emil. But only if he takes advantage. I've said it before, I like the kid. I think he has some skills. He's shown his shot can be unbelievable. He's a good skater. Takes the body. What I struggle with, because I'm not an expert, is if he has so many positive traits, why does he not play more. At some point this is on the player. The coaches aren't penalizing him because they don't like him. Clearly they see something that doesn't keep him in the lineup in the top 6 or even top 9. Something hasn't clicked for him and it's clear with all the injuries the team doesn't feel he deserves something more.
This is the frustrating part. If he’s not going to play here, then why is he not playing in the AHL? Larsen IMO is too much like Torts and we need to get away from that.

Why is Sean Kuraly playing 13 mins a night (6th highest for forwards) in a retool/rebuild while Roslovic plays 11, and Sillinger plays 12? Bemstrom with 9:25 a night. Larsen has played Kent Johnson so far an average of 12 mins.. and he was benched for a period. IMO the ice time makes no sense, not just for Bemstrom but all the young guys in general.

Bemstrom shift length (all situations) avg is 45 seconds. 9:25 ATOI divided by 45 seconds is 12.5 shifts a game. So 4 a period. That’s tough to get going IMO.

Kuraly for example averages 44 seconds, is almost 18 shifts, 6 a period.

Why not try him on the PK and see if it helps get them into the game like Texier/Ros?

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The bolded are still excuses even if you want to call them facts.

I would say that if you look at his actual results, there isn't really any need to excuse anything.

He has 11 pts in just 355 5v5 minutes. That's a better scoring rate than Gus, Bjorky, and Jake. Better defensive results than all of them too.

Of course some would call the results the excuses.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since his most recent return as a lineup regular, are his minutes still suppressed? In that period of time, what is his scoring rate compared to other players?

No reason not to sign him. What to do with him once you do that I have no idea.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Since his most recent return as a lineup regular, are his minutes still suppressed? In that period of time, what is his scoring rate compared to other players?

No reason not to sign him. What to do with him once you do that I have no idea.

He's basically just played January, March, and April this year, so I assume you mean over the last two months? Here are the Jackets forward stats for that period - scoring rates, and on-ice results. Pretty good for Bemstrom.

In that span he's averaged 10:40 across all situations, which is solidly a 4th line number.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is the frustrating part. If he’s not going to play here, then why is he not playing in the AHL? Larsen IMO is too much like Torts and we need to get away from that.

Why is Sean Kuraly playing 13 mins a night (6th highest for forwards) in a retool/rebuild while Roslovic plays 11, and Sillinger plays 12? Bemstrom with 9:25 a night. Larsen has played Kent Johnson so far an average of 12 mins.. and he was benched for a period. IMO the ice time makes no sense, not just for Bemstrom but all the young guys in general.

Bemstrom shift length (all situations) avg is 45 seconds. 9:25 ATOI divided by 45 seconds is 12.5 shifts a game. So 4 a period. That’s tough to get going IMO.

Kuraly for example averages 44 seconds, is almost 18 shifts, 6 a period.

Why not try him on the PK and see if it helps get them into the game like Texier/Ros?
If I am not mistaken, Jarmo, not Larsen, decides where the kids play. So its Jarmos' decision to have them in the NHL.

Are you asking why Kuraly plays more than Bemstrom and the other young kids? Because the team is trying to win, and more than likely Kuraly has proven to Larsen that he can be trusted more so than the others. It doesnt matter if we are out of the playoffs, we want the team to finish strong and not just give up. Absolutely no GM, coach or player worth a damn is EVER going to try to lose or tank. Larsen has already said as much, they coach and play to win every single night.

We only see what happens in games and in the practices that are open to the public., For all we know, Bemstrom could be dogging it in practice(unlikely), or making mistakes that Larsen doesnt feel comfortable putting him out there in certain situations. Maybe he feels that Bemmer just isnt making the proper reads, IDK. While we might be retooling. that doesnt mean that we are purposely going to give younger players ice time over more experienced players. Half of these kids wouldnt even be in the lineup right now if we were fully healthy.

But on that same note, just because a kid isnt playing doesnt mean hes not gaining valuable experience.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If I am not mistaken, Jarmo, not Larsen, decides where the kids play. So its Jarmos' decision to have them in the NHL.

Are you asking why Kuraly plays more than Bemstrom and the other young kids? Because the team is trying to win, and more than likely Kuraly has proven to Larsen that he can be trusted more so than the others. It doesnt matter if we are out of the playoffs, we want the team to finish strong and not just give up. Absolutely no GM, coach or player worth a damn is EVER going to try to lose or tank. Larsen has already said as much, they coach and play to win every single night.

We only see what happens in games and in the practices that are open to the public., For all we know, Bemstrom could be dogging it in practice(unlikely), or making mistakes that Larsen doesnt feel comfortable putting him out there in certain situations. Maybe he feels that Bemmer just isnt making the proper reads, IDK. While we might be retooling. that doesnt mean that we are purposely going to give younger players ice time over more experienced players. Half of these kids wouldnt even be in the lineup right now if we were fully healthy.

But on that same note, just because a kid isnt playing doesnt mean hes not gaining valuable experience.
You should also be coaching for the future too and its annoying most coaches dont do that. If Larsen is going to have a long successful coaching career in Columbus its going to be on the back of the young skill thats coming up. Feed them minutes, let them understand what a lot of minutes is especially when other teams are ramping up for the playoffs. I hate that its not ok for kids to make mistakes that vets do all the time but being young makes it bad.

I look back to the Dubois situation, he only got a chance because Torts had basically exhausted all other options with the injury situation and look how that paid off. You learn by doing, not as much by watching. Let the kids have a chance and stop benching them over mistakes

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You should also be coaching for the future too and its annoying most coaches dont do that. If Larsen is going to have a long successful coaching career in Columbus its going to be on the back of the young skill thats coming up. Feed them minutes, let them understand what a lot of minutes is especially when other teams are ramping up for the playoffs. I hate that its not ok for kids to make mistakes that vets do all the time but being young makes it bad.

I look back to the Dubois situation, he only got a chance because Torts had basically exhausted all other options with the injury situation and look how that paid off. You learn by doing, not as much by watching. Let the kids have a chance and stop benching them over mistakes
And if you throw those kids to the wolves and they get shellshocked you've just destroyed all of their confidence. I'd rather those kids be in a winning environment only playing a few games, instead of playing every game and getting beat down. Don't drop your standards just to let some kids play, set high standards to make the team and it'll make them work harder to solidify their spot.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Won’t he have to pass through waivers next year to be sent to Cleveland? One issue with keeping Bemstrom is what happens if he goes through a long scoreless streak and deserves to be sent down? Do you risk losing him for nothing? Do you keep him in the NHL roster instead of giving a more deserving guy a shot? Keeping Bemstrom means making a serious commitment to him.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And if you throw those kids to the wolves and they get shellshocked you've just destroyed all of their confidence. I'd rather those kids be in a winning environment only playing a few games, instead of playing every game and getting beat down. Don't drop your standards just to let some kids play, set high standards to make the team and it'll make them work harder to solidify their spot.
If may only be 2 letters but its a pretty big word. Id rather find out than speculate. Elvis was shellshocked in his 1st game, seems to be fine. Right now it seems like the standard is be a vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad