Rumor: Kyper: It's no secret the Leafs will go after Montour if he's unsigned after the finals, Tanev has also never left Treliving's list.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Who does Kyprios work for?

I thought he was let go in 2019?

Or was he on some random podcast reminiscing about 1994 again.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I don't think he's the type of defenseman they need, and he's likely to be overpaid.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Honestly, I am beyond caring what these nincompoops in Toronto do. until they get rid of JT and Marner, they are not going anywhere. So tired of this Leafs management. Tre proved what he is all about with the horrid Nylander extension. But sure, go ahead. Sign Montour and Tanev. Whatever.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Half a PPG and 2nd in icetime on the probable Cup winner. Yep definitely sounds like a "brutal" player and not just spoiled fans nitpicking because a player is only really, really good and not award-winningly good.
I mean I watch him every game but I guess you’re an expert so enjoy!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I mean I watch him every game but I guess you’re an expert so enjoy!
No one is as critical of good players as the hardcore fans of the team they play for though. But since you think Montour is "brutal", how about a Justin Holl + Andrew Copp package for the Wings to acquire him? Or does it not interest you when actually brutal players are offered in return?

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
No one is as critical of good players as the hardcore fans of the team they play for though. But since you think Montour is "brutal", how about a Justin Holl + Andrew Copp package for the Wings to acquire him? Or does it not interest you when actually brutal players are offered in return?
Montour has been brutal to ok for his standards he set last year. Last year he was excellent. This year he has been very meh. No Florida fan wants a 7 year contract for him even though he is a great skater and in great shape. He isnt even half the player he was last season. That shoulder injury did something bad to him.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
What needs do they really have? They need a 1B goalie and 2 top 4 dmen for sure. People talk about them like they are the blue jackets.

And next offseason they will have another 20m of cap space to work with
The leafs have no choice but to sign two goalies, only an idiot would hedge their bets on an oft injured Woll who has zero experience. You also literally have to either re-sign or replace Burt and Domi as well. That's at least 3 contracts that have to be counted towards that 21 million before improving the defence. Unless a big contract gets moved there's not a lot of extra cap to improve the defense without getting way worse somewhere else.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The leafs have no choice but to sign two goalies, only an idiot would hedge their bets on an oft injured Woll who has zero experience. You also literally have to either re-sign or replace Burt and Domi as well. That's at least 3 contracts that have to be counted towards that 21 million before improving the defence. Unless a big contract gets moved there's not a lot of extra cap to improve the defense without getting way worse somewhere else.

Again, the Leafs are ok up front even if Bert and Domi walk

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - JT - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
XXX - Kampf - Reves

Still easily a top 5 offense. Bottom 6 is hard to predict, a lot of forward prospects graduating. Worst case they need a depth forward at the TDL.

If they add offense to the blueline it will be even better. Leafs have guys like Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin, etc ready to step in. Lots of depth up front.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Montour is about to receive 32 contract offers. This isn’t even rumour.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Why on earth would Montour leave Florida to go to Toronto? Sunshine, endless golf, less taxes and the opportunity to realistically compete for the Stanley cup. Toronto has none of that to offer.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Obviously they aren't signing them all but they have the cap room to make some significant moves.

nannn

Nope still on TV for Sportsnet
To be accurate, he was let go by Sportsnet a few years ago. He came back to radio about 2 years aago and TV this past season. I think TV-wise, he's only used on Leafs regional broadcasts -- not national games.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Tanev doesn't strike me as the type who is going to let money be his deciding factor. Guy is just built differently. I could see him staying in Dallas if he liked it there, and I wouldn't be shocked for him to take less to go back to either Vancouver or Calgary. Does he want to win? Does he want a place his family enjoys? I tend to think he's going to be in the latter camp wherever that takes him.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Better sign Marc Staal too and hope they, he, captures that magic.

Also, forwards all hands on deck, literally, or else Montour snipe it off your wrist lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00