Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Jackets have almost no incentive to trade Bemstrom. His value is in the tank, he's not playing, and to date his best film is in the SHL during the long layoff after/before the bubble (I forget which one it was, but we let him go back to Sweden for a while when the NHL wasn't playing).

If he doesn't want to be here anymore, and nobody is offering us what we perceive is fair value, then he'll either have to suck it up and play here/Cleveland or go back home (and we keep his rights).

Reactions: Xoggz22

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The Jackets have almost no incentive to trade Bemstrom. His value is in the tank, he's not playing, and to date his best film is in the SHL during the long layoff after/before the bubble (I forget which one it was, but we let him go back to Sweden for a while when the NHL wasn't playing).

If he doesn't want to be here anymore, and nobody is offering us what we perceive is fair value, then he'll either have to suck it up and play here/Cleveland or go back home (and we keep his rights).
Bemström was loaned to a team in Finland.

Anyway, the way Columbus has handled him is beyond awful.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He has NHL talent, but people in Columbus overvalue him. He has a decent shot and is not a defensive liability. If he ever has success, I think it is as a cheap third line guy on good team. Some blame the Jackets for his development, but he has not taken advantage of his opportunities, and there are rumors that he wouldn’t go to the AHL. So I would blame the player at least as much as the club. He is a 4th round draft pick who looked promising, but last season he did not score. He had only three goals and those all came in the same game. Not scoring is not good if your strength is your shot. His hat trick game was at the end of the season so people thought maybe he had finally figured everything out. He looked pretty good in preseason this year but has had injury and COVID issues. He should probably be traded, but he doesn’t have much value.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Bemström was loaned to a team in Finland.

I'd love to hear why you think this. He's been given every opportunity in Columbus. He refused to come over and report to Cleveland if he didn't make the NHL (which he shouldn't have) and he's had ample time in the lineup to show his famed shot and skill. It simply hasn't happened. Maybe it will, but I don't see how Columbus causes this.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Another terribly rushed development plan for a promising prospect. You can give anyone an "opportunity" but if they aren't ready they will continue to fail. He was only 3rd round pick so I'm not going to go overboard with my disappointment but I see another guy leaving this team and succeeding elsewhere. He's still young so they should do a reset with him and do what they should have done in the first place and let him develop away from the NHL team. So put in in Cleveland, leave him there, let him play and stop playing yo-yo with him. I still think he has potential to be an NHL sniper.

Reactions: theslatcher

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'd love to hear why you think this. He's been given every opportunity in Columbus. He refused to come over and report to Cleveland if he didn't make the NHL (which he shouldn't have) and he's had ample time in the lineup to show his famed shot and skill. It simply hasn't happened. Maybe it will, but I don't see how Columbus causes this.
Look at the stats. Who produces more, Chinakhov/Hoffmann/Danforth or Bemstrom?

On top of that, keep in mind that Bemstrom averages 10 mins of ice time, where Chinakhov for example averages almost 3 mins more! The year Bemstrom had 20 in 56GP he averaged 12 mins of ice time. The kid needs to play, somewhere.

ALSO, THEY DONT EVEN PLAY HIM ON THE PP!!!!

But to play him 10 mins a night, then scratch him for long periods, bring him back insert him into the lineup, see him get hurt and then ask why he hasn’t shown anything isn’t fair. Chinakhov has already played in half the amount of games Bemstrom has over his entire career!

Peeke is older than Bemstrom and has room to grow? TFW is older than Bemstrom but TFW still has a shot at the NHL? Marchenko is 1 year younger but is coming over to play top6 and grow?

but Bemstrom can’t? I disagree that he hasn’t show anything, and he has shown his shot.. do you remember his hat trick? Only 10 guys have recorded hat tricks for the Jackets in the last 10 years, Bemstrom is one of them.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Bemstrom hasn’t shown us anything:

10G 10A 56GP rookie season (first time on NHL ice)

5P in 20GP Covid season.

This season, barely plays, 4P in 13GP 10ATOI, no longer playing on the PP, adjusts his game and starts scoring ‘garbage’ goals. All points this year at ES, one of the best Corsi on the team.

Bemstrom scores goal

Reactions: thebus88

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Look at the stats. Who produces more, Chinakhov/Hoffmann/Danforth or Bemstrom?

On top of that, keep in mind that Bemstrom averages 10 mins of ice time, where Chinakhov for example averages almost 3 mins more! The year Bemstrom had 20 in 56GP he averaged 12 mins of ice time. The kid needs to play, somewhere.

ALSO, THEY DONT EVEN PLAY HIM ON THE PP!!!!

But to play him 10 mins a night, then scratch him for long periods, bring him back insert him into the lineup, see him get hurt and then ask why he hasn’t shown anything isn’t fair. Chinakhov has already played in half the amount of games Bemstrom has over his entire career!

Peeke is older than Bemstrom and has room to grow? TFW is older than Bemstrom but TFW still has a shot at the NHL? Marchenko is 1 year younger but is coming over to play top6 and grow?

but Bemstrom can’t? I disagree that he hasn’t show anything, and he has shown his shot.. do you remember his hat trick? Only 10 guys have recorded hat tricks for the Jackets in the last 10 years, Bemstrom is one of them.
Interesting response as I'm pretty sure I never indicated he sucks or can't play but rather he been given chances and hasn't taken them. His hat trick? Great. How about the rest of his time? Look, I'm actually a fan and want him to be successful but I still don't see that he's shown anything to keep that level of faith.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Bemstrom has now hit 111 GP in the NHL (including playoff games). Here are how some familiar guys were doing around that age:

Roslovic (Age 20-22) 109 GP 38 Pts 0.35 Pts/GP 38 Adj Pts
Robinson (Age 22-25) 120 GP 30 Pts 0.25 Pts/GP 41 Adj Pts
Bemstrom (Age 20-22) 111 GP 36 Pts 0.32 Pts/GP 43 Adj Pts
Texier (Age 20-22) 121 GP 48 Pts 0.40 Pts/GP 58 Adj Pts
Bjorkstrand (Age 20-22) 120 GP 61 Pts 0.51 Pts/GP 63 Adj Pts
Atkinson (Age 22-24) 141 GP 72 Pts 0.51 Pts/GP 95 Adj Pts

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bemstrom has now hit 111 GP in the NHL (including playoff games). Here are how some familiar guys were doing around that age:

Roslovic (Age 20-22) 109 GP 38 Pts 0.35 Pts/GP 38 Adj Pts
Robinson (Age 22-25) 120 GP 30 Pts 0.25 Pts/GP 41 Adj Pts
Bemstrom (Age 20-22) 111 GP 36 Pts 0.32 Pts/GP 43 Adj Pts
Texier (Age 20-22) 121 GP 48 Pts 0.40 Pts/GP 58 Adj Pts
Bjorkstrand (Age 20-22) 120 GP 61 Pts 0.51 Pts/GP 63 Adj Pts
Atkinson (Age 22-24) 141 GP 72 Pts 0.51 Pts/GP 95 Adj Pts

What is Adjusted points?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It tries to equate points across different seasons, so if scoring was down one year vs another it is supposed to even that out.

Ok.

You know me, I would be looking at P/60s. Hard to compare Atkinson, who played with Dubinsky early on, with Bemstrom who is mostly on the lowest minutes line.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Ok.

You know me, I would be looking at P/60s. Hard to compare Atkinson, who played with Dubinsky early on, with Bemstrom who is mostly on the lowest minutes line.
Bemstrom TOI 1311 mins. 36 pts.
Roslovic TOI 1140 mins. 38 pts.
Texier TOI 1761 mins. 48 pts.
Robinson TOI 1407 mins. 30 pts.
Atkinson TOI 2208 mins. 72 pts.
Bjorkstrand TOI 1730 mins. 61 pts.

Meaning that their Pts/60min comes out to:

Bjorkstrand 2.12 Pts/60
Roslovic 2.0 Pts/60
Atkinson 1.96 Pts/60
Bemstrom 1.65 Pts/60
Texier 1.64 Pts/60
Robinson 1.28 Pts/60

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bemstrom TOI 1311 mins. 36 pts.
Texier TOI 1761 mins. 48 pts.
Robinson TOI 1407 mins. 30 pts.
Atkinson TOI 2208 mins. 72 pts.
Bjorkstrand TOI 1730 mins. 61 pts.

Meaning that their Pts/60min comes out to:

Bjorkstrand 2.12 Pts/60
Atkinson 1.96 Pts/60
Bemstrom 1.65 Pts/60
Texier 1.64 Pts/60
Robinson 1.28 Pts/60

That's a decent third-line type number for Bemmer. I'm encouraged that he's up to 2.0 P/60 this year, and this is as he still has some jitters in his puck handling and some room for improvement there. It has me wondering if he might have a top six future somewhere.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
That's a decent third-line type number for Bemmer. I'm encouraged that he's up to 2.0 P/60 this year, and this is as he still has some jitters in his puck handling and some room for improvement there. It has me wondering if he might have a top six future somewhere.
The way you say it, makes me feel like you don’t expect it to be here. I’ve been getting that feeling as well but I really hope I’m wrong.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don’t think he has a future here despite me being a fan of his. I don’t think he’ll ever reach his offensive upside that he showed in Sweden but I think he could be a solid bottom 6 defensive player.

With all the young guys coming up I expect bemmer to be in a package for a trade to relieve the glut of forwards.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I would consider him a “young guy coming up” though, why wouldn’t he be?
I don’t think he has a future here despite me being a fan of his. I don’t think he’ll ever reach his offensive upside that he showed in Sweden but I think he could be a solid bottom 6 defensive player.

With all the young guys coming up I expect bemmer to be in a package for a trade to relieve the glut of forwards.
Nyquist needs to be replaced, soon Voracek and Robinson.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I would consider him a “young guy coming up” though, why wouldn’t he be?

Nyquist needs to be replaced, soon Voracek and Robinson.
I agree with the top part. He should be seen as that. However, he’s been here for 3 years now and hasn’t stamped himself as a lineup regular. I like what he brings, but we’re going to need roster spots. I think he’s likely traded but if I’m wrong I’ll be happy.

disagree with the bottom

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I feel the same way. I was a big supporter when he was one of the three untouchable prospects. We've seen glimpses of what he can be (That shot against Montreal - yowza) but he doesn't appear to sustain it and apparently makes it too easy on coaches to slide him back down the lineup. He's back to the 4th line and likely to get limited minutes. He may have the talent and he may ultimately have that come out in the NHL, I just don't think it happens in Columbus. I do like him but think he's one of those assets that may still be alluring enough to another team as a nice addition in a trade.

I could see him going to Arizona in a deal for Chychrun. Not the focus of the return but certainly a solid addition based on "future" and hope.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Have to think these last 3 games are it for Bemstrom as a Bluejacket

He's had a fair chance

I predict he's traded for the ever popular "future considerations"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania